Savile Row tailors | FerrariChat

Savile Row tailors

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by kevfla, Apr 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #1 kevfla, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Anyone stateside having a suit made? Or, had one created?

I'm at a point in my life when I can recognize, and afford, the long-term value of a fine, bespoke suit. There are probably 200 shops, or more, in London. Some companies come to the states two or three times a year, mostly NYC and Washington.

Davies & Son had a table set-up at the RROC annual meeting last week, and I was very impressed with the choice of fabrics and patterns.

Any recommendations or experiences you would like to share?

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I've visited a few shops in St. James's, but never had anything made. Logistically it was virtually impossible with the number of fittings necessary to do it right. It was really interesting, though, seeing the process and the array of fabric choices.

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Thanks, Jack! That's good to know. There's a trade-show of sorts coming up at the British Embassy that will be very informative.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I use Andrea at Hamilton Douglass in Ft. Lauderdale. She has the shirts made in NYC and the suits are MTM, done by John H. Daniel in Knoxville. It's a step down from a Saville Row bespoke but priced much better. Quality and fit are far superior to anything off the rack.

5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Thanks, Duane!
    I'll keep them in mind, next time I'm in south Florida.

Kevin

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I use Saint Laurie in New York. They are doing this for more than 100 years. All my suits are the same style, just with different fabrics. Summer, winter, fall/spring fabrics. Fabrics are everything, and have a huge impact on the price.

With every jacket I have three sets of pants made, to extend the longevity. The style is neutral, but you can have a lot of fun with the details and lining. I like working with the tailor, eliminating details like lapels, splits, flaps, multiple buttons, get functioning button holes, and getting a timeless design in return.

7. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Hamilton Shirts in Houston are one of the premiere bespoke shirtmakers in the US. They've been in business for a century or so & everything is made on the premises. Average cost/shirt is about $300 USD.