Oops... cleaning primer overspray off the Speedmaster | FerrariChat

Oops... cleaning primer overspray off the Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by FarmerDave, Apr 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I actually wear my watches instead of rubbing them with a diaper, let's get that out of the way. :D. I'm not totally abusive, I would normally take off my watch before doing something like painting. But this time it slipped my mind.

I got a fair amount of grey primer over spray on the watch by turning a part on its hanger as I was priming, and decided to follow the first rule of recovering from most **** ups, which is, first, don't do something to make it worse. That's good advice for detailing cars too. Know what you can't do and don't do that.

Anyway, I took off the watch and put it in a drawer to avoid temptation to mess with it.

A few weeks have gone by, brainstorming what to do, and I decided to try some of those alcohol wipes that nurses use to swab your skin before they give you a shot, because the cloth is soft and the alcohol won't eat the stainless steel case, the ??printed bezel, or the hesalite (plastic!) crystal. It took a good 5 minutes of soft rubbing, and 5 of the pads, but it came clean with no ill effects.

The pics below are about halfway through the process and 95% through the process. I ran out of pads, will have to finish it tonight.

Hope this hint from Heloise helps somebody else someday!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    You can use toothpaste to clean your crystal. Not a gel, but use old school crest or similar. Same for the bezel

3. maxyedor

maxyedor Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Full Name:
    Max
    WD40 works surprisingly well for that too, also amazing for getting sap and tar off your car.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lucky you got it all off mate. :)

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Overspray on your Speedmaster?

Smooth move ExLax.

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Haven't heard that antique in a while! LOL

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works, too.

8. spacestuff4me

spacestuff4me Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    I have 7 Omega Speedmaster Pro's that I've collected, from the 1957 1st model to the Apollo 15 Ltd Ed and my favorite, the X33 2nd Gen. Best watches ever built, but i wouldn't wear it while painting. Glad you were able to clean it up.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I've had similar mishaps, and found as you did, that alcohol wipes do the trick with minimal side effects.

Nice job gettin' it clean. Next time, take it off first. :D

D

10. catwalk

catwalk Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    new york city
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buyak
    lol. try getting welding slag off a rolex daytona ! wedding gift....yes I'm divorced

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    You win!!! Haha