Thoughts on buying an explorer II | FerrariChat

Thoughts on buying an explorer II

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Skidkid, May 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am thinking about adding a white face Explorer II, the newer 42mm W series. List is $8100 and the big online guys are about $7300.

The real question is will an AD come off his $8100 and get closer to the resellers? I don't expect parity but close would be nice. I haven't asked yet but am open to thoughts.

If I am patient, there may be some LNIB pieces around as well. I am not so obsessive about box and papers but want a watch in excellent condition because the first service would probably cover the difference in cost. Thoughts on this option?

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I highly doubt an AD would come off list on a new model. If they do expect it to be 5% or less.

3. remmy1001

remmy1001 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Canada
    YMMV but you should be able to find an Explorer II new from a dealer for very similar pricing.

If you ever visit Canada with the USD vs Canadian exchange you will end up getting the new watch even cheaper.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've got an Explorer II, great watch. Wife got it for me a couple years ago for Christmas. I think she paid list and they ate the sales tax, a 6% reduction overall.

6. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    this is my daily beater, almost...look on watchrecon for a great deal, my friend/dealer always post his inventory up there.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I have one too, my daily watch that I am pretty rough on, its a great watch and I absolutely love it. I bought mine used through a dealer, I never buy new...Im cheap :)

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have one as my daily

it keeps time

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Just for grins I checked w a source I use and my cost was 7000. FWIW and I'm in the business.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #10 Skidkid, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys. I went into the AD and they wouldn't budge on price. They were saying that Rolex is auditing them more and they can't take the chance; true or not I don't know. After talking for a while I said I would think about it. I got about 1/2 way to the door and they remembered that there was a store credit available via some coupon and they told me where to get the coupon. I paid list but applied the store credit, all nice and sanitary if they are audited. Not quite gray market price but got close enough; the Warranty card is in my name and they added 2 years extended warranty of their own, so 4 years warranty.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Congrats SkidKid! You'll love it. I hardly ever wear my Yachtmaster anymore.

13. Jmas

Jmas Rookie

Jun 27, 2015
    I love the Explorer II, I would get one but I love my GMT Master II too much and my collection only has room for one Rolex.

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Great looking watch. One of my current faves.