Smart watch or fine timepiece... Why can't it be both? | FerrariChat

Smart watch or fine timepiece... Why can't it be both?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by FarmerDave, Jun 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I really think this is the way of the future. It may take a few more years for the electronic components and their wireless communication methods to standardize, and for the most popular feature sets to become the norm in smart watches before fine watchmakers decide which electronic features to incorporate.

Long article, I suggest going out to read the whole thing.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/can-the-swiss-watchmaker-survive-the-digital-age.html?referrer=

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    A smart watch will always have a very finite lifespan, like a phone. This is in strong contrast to luxury watches which can be worn for decades and are priced accordingly.

I just can't see anyone apart from Saudi princes spend five or six figure sums for a gadget that's useless within 2 years.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    +1

a 20 year old mechanical watch is a heirloom. A 20 year old electronic is landfill fodder.

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    From the article:

He shaved the tip of his soldering iron? Seriously? :eek: For non-electronic savy readers: Soldering iron tips can be bought in the tiniest of sizes, and they're specially coated... if you grind them to a smaller size, they work for a while and then, well, don't work anymore. Doesn't exactly sound like a master at his trade, considering he makes $200000 watches :rolleyes:

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I hope somebody remembers to bump this thread in five years.

7. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Why not a replacement case back which contained the fit bit accelerometers and some form of haptic feedback for notifications, that was invisible under your mechanical wristwatch?

I'm not talking about screens.

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #8 FarmerDave, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I keep this HID brand prox rfid chip in my wallet... It's my credential to gain access to my building and ID myself to some of the data collection devices we make.

Its disposably cheap but durable. It is not self powered, but battery technology is improving rapidly.

I think in a few years, the components for could fit in a form factor the size of this chip. I've shown it with my speedmaster which is by today's fashion, a tiny mechanical watch.

So is a mechanical heirloom timepiece suddenly garbage if the "smart" technology in the case back becomes obsolete.?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Love the Speedy, Dave.

Put some double-stick tape on the back of your chip and attach it to the case-back. Then you don't have to fumble for the RFID thingy when you need to get in the building.

10. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I tried that for fun, not adhered but slipped it between watch and wrist, here's just too much metal between the reader and the chip. I may try it with other watches with thinner movements as I rotate what I wear.

But to clarify, I was just using the HID chip as a physical size example... I think it's feasible to cram the electronics into one unit the size of my pictured chip, and design beautiful mechanical timepieces that have separate, upgradeable electronics modules completely integrated into the caseback.

No wires, chips, etc running thru the mechanical movement.

Of course, ideas are a dime a dozen and it's all about the execution.

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    The very last paragraph illustrates the rationale behind my idea for a "smart fine case back" not a "smart fine watch"

12. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    #14 SloW8, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    I wear automatics because they are mechanical works of art. My phone has a clock that is much more accurate than any mechanical watch available and I carry my phone pretty much anywhere I wear my watch. What I am saying is that a wrist watch is already redundant, outdated and not needed. But I love it because it is purely mechanical, was built with precision and care. It represents something more than its function.

I don't yet see the draw to a watch that is an extension of my phone and its info and abilities. I won't say never but the current crop of wearables don't have any draw for me.

A well bought mechanical watch will be worth similar money in 5 years. A really well bought watch will appreciate. If someone creates a brand and a case with guts that are swappable to keep up with the latest tech, the "watch" loses all credibility with me. The thing that makes a watch special goes away and it just becomes jewelry, a label, a brand. I am not a brand snob so those things don't appeal to me.

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I think Dave's idea is quite brilliant. Keep the mechanical watch as it is but make available interchangeable tech.

14. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    You summarized it better than I did. Thank you.

Another alternative to casebacks as the tech containet could be be bracelets or straps that contain the tech.

There's a very real, though very niche, product idea here. But again, ideas are easy, execution is the trick.

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Both ideas were mentioned in the article the OP posted :) However, how smart is a smartwatch if it's just a watch with piggyback electronics which are not fully integrated?

16. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #18 FarmerDave, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Like I said, ideas are easy.

I was the OP, and obviously this article started me down the patch of daydreaming about the smart case back.

But I guess I skimmed over/missed the part that mentioned Mont Blanc with their e strap. I was aware of Samsung's use of packaging components in the wristband, I own a Samsung Gear. It gets worn in rotation about as often as any watch I own.

The article talks about products sold by watch manufacturers. But what about an accessories company that makes self contained tech in case backs and watch bands that are interchangeable and not made with just one watch case in mind?

17. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    My response is that I already carry a phone that does or could do all those things. Why am I going to foul up a nice watch with additional "stuff"?

Just my .02