Mechanical watch sitting idle...ok? | FerrariChat

Mechanical watch sitting idle...ok?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by italiafan, Jul 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just curious, I don't have a watch winder and I like to rotate watches....but I usually like wearing one for awhile, like months, then switching....seems like getting a new watch when I do!

My question...is it bad for the movement, oils, to sit for a few months then use for a few months?

Thanks!

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's probably not ideal, but I do it all the time across a number of different watches. I've only sent one out for a clearly needed cleaning in some ten years of owning them. And it was the one I wore the most often.

Matt

3. spacestuff4me

spacestuff4me Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    I've had a problem with letting a mechanical movement sit idle for years. However, the jeweler who services my chronos told me to run the second hand on all of my complicated movements. It allows lube to continually be distributed so the movement moves freely.

4. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I think they make watch winders for a reason - to keep the thing running while it's not on your wrist. I keep all of my automatics on a winder, haven't had any problems yet.

There might be a few different arguments on this subject, so maybe, talk to a watchmaker to get an "expert" opinion?

Personally, I'd say use a winder.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thx.
    But don't watches sit idle for months, from manufacturer to dealers, and on display?
    I thought the winder was, in part, for convenience so as not needing to reset time, dates, etc.

I think many months or years idle would be bad for sure, but what do you guys think about 2 months on, 2 months off?

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I let all my cars idle 24/7.

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Yes, to the first part - this is possible. I'd submit, however, that these watches are fairly new, and the parts are factory fresh and the oils are at their most effective. So there seems to be less risk in letting them sit a bit until they get sold.

To the second part, I'd be guessing, so I'd suggest asking a watch maker.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    :)

Apples and oranges, tho. Taxis that are never turned off, all around the world, get fantastic life from their engines. It's the start and stop and heat cycles that kill an engine. Watch movements don't have the same conditions.

Matt