Stolen Rolex Seadweller | FerrariChat

Stolen Rolex Seadweller

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ragtop1, Sep 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Toronto man takes off $26,000 Rolex waterproof diving watch to go swimming — and has it stolen.

Police are asking for the public’s help in an investigation after a Rolex watch worth $26,000 was stolen from a downtown hotel pool’s change room locker in July.

According to police, a 46-year-old man went to the swimming pool area of the Eaton Chelsea Hotel on 33 Gerrard St. W., near Yonge St., around 11:30 a.m. on July 17. The man placed his belongings, including a Rolex Sea-Dweller 1665 watch, in a change room locker on the 27th floor.

The obvious question...Why take off a waterproof watch designed for deep sea diving to go swimming.

2. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Seriously!

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    It's an old watch. Water proof when new, now, not so much :)

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That's what I was thinking also. Lol.

If it's legit, hopefully they recover the stolen watch asap.

I hate thieves!

5. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    #5 junglistluder, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    For me the obvious answer is in the first sentence... $26k :D

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    old myth of pool chlorine hurting the watch seals? Who knows , but that sucks!

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I cringe when I see guys playing golf wearing automatic watches..... I wonder if Phil's even works?

Swimming with a Rolex diving watch, not so much and BTW, they look badass under water. :D

8. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Just curious why do you cringe at golfers wearing automatic watches ?

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    There a people who don't completely trust the water resistance rating, which causes them to take off their watches when swimming or taking a hot shower or going into a hot tub.

Watches are tested to a particular depth in a static fashion, i.e. enclosed in a pressure vessel, taken to the test pressure gradually, sit at the test pressure, then back out the same way. In more dynamic situations, such as a sudden temperature shock or pressure shock, some owners are afraid that the O-rings and gaskets don't have enough time to conform and maintain the seal. Also, if the O-rings and gaskets are older, then they may be less compliant.

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Old watch left unattended in locker room = collect insurance. My 2 cents. If it's legit I hope that he recovers the watch.

11. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I golf with mine regularly. Am I causing harm?

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Unnecessary shocks to the movement. My wife takes in repairs from golfers a lot.

What's your handicap? The lower, the better for even more reasons... :)

13. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good to know. I could see the trouble if you're smacking the ground by mistake but I assumed a semi-direct hit was pretty fluid. Makes sense. On that note, I should be more considerate when going for a run. I often forget that I'm wearing a watch until I'm a mile or two in and look to see the time. That rotor is probably just ripping in there!

14. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Interesting. Makes sense.

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    He plays with a manual wind if that makes a difference.

I've worn my watch for ten years and played quite a few rounds, two regular services and all is good. Would i do that with all watches....nope.

16. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    I wonder if Bubba Watson's RM tourbillon is shock proof?

17. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    In theory yes. Its a manual wind and specifically marketed as "golf safe" if I recall correctly. I'm sure darth knows a plot more than I do about it.

Which watch?

18. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    My old dive master/instructor wore an Omega dive watch to many depths constantly. It was beat up, scratched and the band was dented. He was quite proud of it and served its purpose. He also found a Rolex Submariner with a broken band in a river bed while diving . It came to life when he brought it back to shore after a quick shake. He took it to a dealer and the original owner was found through the serial number. It was lost on a dive the previous year.
    It's a shame that people spend thousands on a "dive" watch and are afraid to get them wet. I wonder what the maintenance schedule is on the seals and O rings ? Sounds like a another belt change debate.... Oh yea, don't wash your Ferrari either :D

19. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Most companies recommend getting a watch pressure tested every 18 months to 2 years (if being used for swimming/diving) just to make sure the gaskets are still good and that the watch is still water resistant. When watches go in for an actual service (not just a pressure test, in addition to disassembling the movement, cleaning it, lubricating and reassembling it, they usually change the gaskets, and pressure test it.

With very old watches, many companies will not certify as water resistant even if gaskets are changed, as they could have some weakness from decades of use/abuse, and values on some older ones are quite high (and they don't want to be responsible for a loss).
    Many companies when they made these watches, never anticipated them surviving for as long as they have (there are lots of 35-50 year old Submariners and Seamasters out there), and so they don't have parts for some of them.

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great story in regards to the Rolex found in the river. :)

21. Jeanfrancois

Jeanfrancois Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Qatar/Dubai/Quebec
    I really enjoy swimming and would never swim with a watch.

But I admit, I am always relieved to find my watches, still in my locker, even if I always use a very good lock.

Can you imagine the look at the thief's face when finding a Rolex in a locker!

Reminds me of the story of my father back in the 70's who went to a public pool for a swim and left $ 1000 in cash in his pocket and did not use a lock.. 40 years later, we still tease him with this story...

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Bugger! :)