Custom Tailored shirts. Without getting felt up. | FerrariChat

Custom Tailored shirts. Without getting felt up.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by lukek, Oct 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have been on a quest for a perfect shirt, but my proportions apparently do not match the prototypical North American male. I will for example buy a dress shirt based on the largish collar size (time spent in gokarts?) but then the waste is all puffy. I match the sleeves and then it is too narrow in the chest. Nothing works. Maybe Hugo Boss slim fit is the closest.

I thought about a custom tailored shirt, and I even got a phone number for someone in San Francisco, but the trip, the cost ($300), and, ahem ...the personal nature of the examination and measuring had put me off. It was probably mostly the laziness.

I never, ever click on Facebook ads. But it was probably the fact that the posting mentioned the word "algorithm", as it pertained to clothing. It was a site called Custom Dress Shirts | Custom Made to the Highest Standards - Proper Cloth
    You go in and get interviewed: waist size, collar size, jacket size, weight, height, tucked/untucked preferences. Maybe 12 questions. Then the algorithm goes to work. The fun part comes later, which is designing your own shirt. I can pick from fabrics/patterns, dozens of collar styles, button colors, linings, pockets/no pockets, cuffs with 1/2 buttons, or multi-colored initials.

2 weeks later...some children in an exotic country are done and I get my shirt.
    It really fits! And they tell you to launder it and return it for alterations, if need be.

I think propercloth has competitors online, but this is the first ad clicking on FB, and it was positive.

PM me if you want a $20 off coupon code for first order, should you want to play with fabrics. I get some credit towards my next creation. I am thinking black with a purple pattern collar lining and a Londoner collar.
    :)

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can we get additional $ off if we point out the unintentionally hilarious typo in one of their reviews (which they kindly put on their "front" page)

"I have only tried one sh*t thus far and the most significant downside I've noted is the quality of the fabric used; the material is on the thinner side...”"

3. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    yes, "unfiltered reviews" will always be good for some entertainment.

In general...copy editing in the age of internet is a lost art. I see cnn and mainstream pubs with glaring errors and typos. I would be depressed if journalism were my profession due to the seemingly lowered standards. I actually still pay for content (NYT), where the editors pay more attention to originality and quality. Everyone else regurgitates the same old garbage that is seldom fact-checked. I guess it appeals to the lowest common denominator reader, and they are happy enough with this titillating click-bait.

4. IcedAmericano

IcedAmericano Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2013
    SoCal.
    I'm in a very similar predicament; generally using Brooks Slim Fit with 17.5/18 neck and 35 body which leaves too much chest-to-waist cloth left over. :(

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience is solving this dilemma (I've got custom shirts but want something easier/cheaper).

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've used Indochino quite a bit for this. Shirts are typically under $100 and you send your measurements in yourself. It's no Saville Row, but they're nice enough and once they have your measurements it only takes a few weeks to whip up new shirts. Every year or two I tweak the measurements and order a whole new set.

Custom Suits & Mens Suits

6. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm the exact same. I buy those shirts in that neck size (17.5) but they are balloons on my around the body. I just take them to the tailor and have the sleeves and body pulled way in. Very close to a totally custom fit for not much money.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  8. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just go to Brooks Brothers. I love their non-iron dress shirts. I've worn them exclusively for years. I'm glad you're happy with your custom shirts. Luckily, I can get by with off the rack stuff.

Scott

9. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yep, I have a proper cloth shirt I had made when they first started. Still looks good and I wear suits 5 days a week, so it gets plenty of wear.

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK