Michael Schumacher's Second Father & the Girard Perregaux | FerrariChat

Michael Schumacher's Second Father & the Girard Perregaux

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by arezzo, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Most Automobile enthusiasts are very familiar with Enzo Ferrari, the founder of the most legendary marque in the Automobile world of Ferrari but few know of Luigi Chinetti. A legendary race car driver and marketing genius that introduced Ferrari to the US, selling the first in 1948 and responsible for persuading Enzo Ferrari to build some of the most beautiful cars known to man. Would Ferrari be as successful a brand and company today had Luigi Chinetti not been involved? No way.

Such is the case of Jurgen Dilk when it comes to the career and discovery of Michael Schumacher, the seven time formula 1 champion. Michael's father Rolf Schumacher was a bricklayer by profession who later maintained and tuned go-karts and his mother Elizabeth ran the cafe at the Kerpen-Horrem go-kart track. Rolf tried his best to support Michael's early racing with his meagre earnings by cobbling together go-karts with used parts for his son who showed great promise at an early age becoming the club junior champion at just 6 years old.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As Michael got older he needed better equipment and new engines, news of Michael's promise had spread in his hometown and in stepped Jurgen Dilk a friend of the family, who had done well for himself in the slot machine business. It was to be the start of a 10 year successful relationship between Mr. Dilk and Schumacher. Jurgen Dilk funded Michael's go-kart career in the 1980s, bought him new engines, a new go-kart when he was 10, drove together with Rolf and Michael to competitions around Germany and Europe, allowing him to become German Junior Go-Kart Champion in 1984 when he was 15.

In 1986 Michael had to move up to the Senior Go-Karting Championship but that's where things got more complicated for him. The transition to a higher category required a greater commitment of time and money and he was still in school. Though convinced of his talent his parents were not so excited about the move up in category as well. He also had doubts, "I like driving, I loved the speed and racing with karts. But there was also to consider the other side of the coin, my family had nothing to give me and already made huge sacrifices for me to race in the early years. I was working after school to fund the expenses of the races I entered, I was also looking for used tires in landfills, but continuing to move up the expenses would have increased."

Jurgen Dilk mentored and advised Michael and spoke to him at length and convinced him that he has to continue racing in the Senior category and should not waste his talent. Jurgen Dilk also told him that the world is full of unemployed people with qualifications and that Michael should take advantage of his natural talent to make his way in life. He assured Michael to financially back him and to help find sponsors.

By 1987 he become the German and European Go-Kart Champion and his success in go-karts got him the opportunity to try out for a Formula Ford Festival single seater racing car series team of Eurfra managed by Peter Sieber. There was a 500 Deutsche Mark testing fee which Michael could not afford but Peter Seiber waived it and he was allowed to try out. Michael did very well and was offered a place on the team but then came the issue of a short fall in funding of 25,000 Deutsche Marks. Jurgen Dilk stepped in again and funded the team allowing Michael to compete.

Jurgen Dilk also helped Michael to secure a place to drive for Team Konig sponsored by Lamborghini Dealer Hoecker and while driving for them at the Salzburgring in 1988 he impressed Willi Weber who would offer him a place on his successful Formula 3 team. Willi Weber would help Michael make the next step up the ladder into Formula 1.

We as racing and sports enthusiasts are indebted to Mr. Dilk for inspiring, helping and funding Michael to continue racing, surely if he had given up in 1986 the world would have been robbed of a true champion, both on and off the track. Mr. Dilk's pep talk gave Michael Schumacher the confidence to continue racing and moving up.

Michael Schumacher would say of Jurgen Dilk "He was like a father, a pastor and a teacher wrapped in one person."

Jurgen Dilk was quoted saying "It was not my money which I gave him; it was my time and my heart. I did what I could and I helped him to find sponsors. For me, it was always so nice to work with Michael. He had an open mind; he listened to all that was said. There was always a good feeling in working together on anything because he is a wonderful person. Everything that I have given him, through those years, from my heart, he has given me back."

During the 48th Formula One season in 1997 Michael Schumacher was driving for Ferrari and gave his "Second Father" this gift.

I pray for his Speedy Recovery.

S

Pic Credits and Thank You to: Exprinzen-Alsdorf, Grenzecho, Sridar1, Amklassiek, jdclassics, The Telegraph, iefimerida, Google Images, Sportspromedia

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    This was a great read and they are some wonderful pictures.

Thank you so much for sharing with us, much appreciated.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Great article. Really hit home seeing the two of them at Niagara Falls.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thank you for sharing this story!