Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew
Rolex Sea Dweller Issue

So my Rolex SD stopped the other day from lack of wear and when I went to set the time/date I noticed that when unscrewing the crown it wasn't really detaching from the movement, if that makes any sense. Basically, I can pull it out, wind it up but as I screw the crown back down its changing the time/date. This is a new phenomenon and its making me crazy. I originally thought that it may be because it was 12 hours off but that doesn't seem to be the case. The entire time I turn the crown I can tell that its winding the watch.

Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions or is it time to send it in?

Thanks in advance!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Steven Robertson
Which model number Sea Dweller is it? How old is the watch and if an older SD when was it last serviced? Please post some pictures.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miurasv View Post
Which model number Sea Dweller is it? How old is the watch and if an older SD when was it last serviced? Please post some pictures.
Circa 1992. I picked it up second hand so I can only assume its due for service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-4.jpg (70.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Steven Robertson
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLiterEater96 View Post
Circa 1992. I picked it up second hand so I can only assume its due for service.
Get it serviced by Rolex. Personally, I wouldn't use anyone else.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Chris
Let's clarify your symptoms

You have 3 detents:

Position 1 when you unscrew the crown - manual winding
Position 2 when you slightly pull out the crown - quickset date
Position 3 when you pull the crown out all the way - time setting

You said you pull the crown out for winding? You should be able to wind by just unscrewing the crown - it's spring loaded and pops out on it's own.

It's possible that the crown is bad, it has a spring and a clutch action when unscrewed / screwed into the case.
It's also possible that there is something wrong with the keyless works, that's unusual for a 3135 movement as they keyless is a pretty robust design.

You may or may not want to use Rolex for the repair. If you want someone local AWCI is a good place to start: https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWC...berSearch.aspx
Rolex does not have a service center in IL as far as I know, so you would have to contact an AD https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/services-locator/
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Kavan
Case tube might be kaput? That is the part the crown screws onto.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Let's clarify your symptoms

You have 3 detents:

Position 1 when you unscrew the crown - manual winding
Position 2 when you slightly pull out the crown - quickset date
Position 3 when you pull the crown out all the way - time setting

You said you pull the crown out for winding? You should be able to wind by just unscrewing the crown - it's spring loaded and pops out on it's own.

It's possible that the crown is bad, it has a spring and a clutch action when unscrewed / screwed into the case.
It's also possible that there is something wrong with the keyless works, that's unusual for a 3135 movement as they keyless is a pretty robust design.

You may or may not want to use Rolex for the repair. If you want someone local AWCI is a good place to start: https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWC...berSearch.aspx
Rolex does not have a service center in IL as far as I know, so you would have to contact an AD https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/services-locator/
Correct. Let me clarify, previously it had all three positions. Now, it literally unscrews through all three positions without ever 'clicking' out. So basically as I'm screwing the crown down it's changing the time/date.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Correct. Let me clarify, previously it had all three positions. Now, it literally unscrews through all three positions without ever 'clicking' out. So basically as I'm screwing the crown down it's changing the time/date.
When you say changing time / date, you mean changing time, but every 24 hours it changes date? You don't mean the quickset date is changing, correct?

If it's keyless, I don't think most watchmakers will touch it without a full service (which it may need.) Have someone check the crown first, that's an easy repair and the movement stays in the case. If it stays in time setting position, that sounds more like a keyless issue though.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

The quickset date does change as it 'screws' past that position.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
The quickset date does change as it 'screws' past that position.
For clarification's sake:
The date changes when the hands rotate 24 hours.
A quickset date changes with the rotation of the crown, the hands do not rotate when using the quickset date function.

Impossible to reliably diagnose over the internet, and should be easily diagnosed in a few seconds by someone qualified.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
For clarification's sake:
The date changes when the hands rotate 24 hours.
A quickset date changes with the rotation of the crown, the hands do not rotate when using the quickset date function.

Impossible to reliably diagnose over the internet, and should be easily diagnosed in a few seconds by someone qualified.
I know, it's bizarre. I'm going to have my local guy take a look at it this week but in the end will likely send it out. I'm sure it's do for service and I could use the peace of mind.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
So my Rolex SD stopped the other day from lack of wear and when I went to set the time/date I noticed that when unscrewing the crown it wasn't really detaching from the movement, if that makes any sense. Basically, I can pull it out, wind it up but as I screw the crown back down its changing the time/date. This is a new phenomenon and its making me crazy. I originally thought that it may be because it was 12 hours off but that doesn't seem to be the case. The entire time I turn the crown I can tell that its winding the watch.

Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions or is it time to send it in?

Thanks in advance!
CD Peacock in Oak Brook IL has an excellent watch servicing technician. The guy is a 2nd or 3rd generation watch craftsman. Lots of attention to detail and almost always at the store no matter when you walk in. Rolex certified but you don't have to send it away, stays in house.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalista View Post
CD Peacock in Oak Brook IL has an excellent watch servicing technician. The guy is a 2nd or 3rd generation watch craftsman. Lots of attention to detail and almost always at the store no matter when you walk in. Rolex certified but you don't have to send it away, stays in house.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
The new ones are 43mm and are "red".
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
The new ones are 43mm and are "red".
But that cyclops! Thats seriously the main reason I opted for the SD over the sub. I hate the cyclops.