Is wearing clothing that screams "Ferrari" declasse? | FerrariChat

Is wearing clothing that screams "Ferrari" declasse?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    First, am I spelling "declasse" right?

I began to think that a couple years ago when I went to the Gooding auction in Scottsdale and was at the breakfast where there was about 100 people getting ready to attend the auction and no car names or badges on anybody except for just one guy wearing a tiny car badge on his hat for Facel Vega. I got the idea that everybody was avoiding advertising their car marque favorite because they didn't want to be buttonholed by a seller who has a car coming up in the auction.

Plus when I go to the infamous Santee Alley in Los Angeles they have lots of unauthorized Ferrari sweatshirts, etc. so I think most of the clothes screaming Ferrari are worn by wanna-be owners, not real owners. So I am on the verge of throwing away my ()authorized) Ferrari polo shirts away because I don't wanna look like a wanna be (is there a name for that group of "once was owners?)

I will still keep my leather jacket to which I sewed on a cloth print of a swb berlinetta portrait I did...that brought the attention of a fine arts customer while dining at Clint Eastwood's Mission Inn ranch in Carmel

SDDubbya likes this.
  2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  4. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I generally wear only a Ferrari, Lamborghini or AMG baseball cap. Well that's not to suggest that I run around nude with only a baseball cap.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Wearing clothing that "screams Ferrari" is not the same as wearing something Ferrari-branded that's tasteful/understated. Wearing a hat or polo shirt with a cavallino is very different than strutting around in red driving shoes with a red track suit and t-shirt that has FERRARI spelled vertically in giant letters up the pant leg or your back.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    For me it's a hat, at most, and my Pilota Ferrari Polo shirt for some events.

I do have Tod's Ferrari shoes, black with red stitching, that are practically brand new, even after 14 years.

I won't wear my Schumacher Nike Air Zooms but that's because I don't want to damage them. :)

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    A lot of people at Ferrari events will wear a single item with the logo or name on it.
    So, either a hat, shirt, or jacket.

And, I personally like the smaller logo on items.

But it does depend on the type of event.

For example, if it is an F1 race viewing party at the dealership, then wearing a lot of Ferrari regalia is accepted.

Reacherman1022 and Renman57 like this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    This. One logo'd item is fine, I think. Either a cap, or a polo shirt, or shoes (I like wearing driving shoes for operating my 308, and have a pair of black Puma with a small scudetto on the side. Red shoes would be too much)

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I looked in my closet and rediscovered a couple of cool red jackets and a fleece with a yellow polo I bought in Maranello to wear at Pilota.

10. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    #10 cwilson13, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I only wear it at Fcar events.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If you have the car, why do you need the shirt?

Regards,

Art S.

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I wear a shirt or cap frequently when I am not in uniform. I don't really worry about it or care what others think, I just like it.

PDG

SoftwareDrone and Envision like this.
  14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I honestly cringe at most red Ferrari clothing simply because it looks like someone is trying too hard although I know it's like supporting your favorite sports team.

I have a black Ferrari polo shirt with the logo above the chest but fairly small.

Rolly likes this.
  15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Are those the guys that live in the F1 Forum here? ;)

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think red Ferrari clothing can add to a lighthearted occasion if you are attending a dealer or factory driving event ...or watching an F1 race at the venue or even at home, but on any other occasion that's not really about Ferrari fandom, it'll probably come across wrong. Loud red Ferrari fan clothing are not fashion items. OTOH, tasteful discretely labeled items would be a different matter.

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #17 GuyIncognito, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
    it really depends on the social situation. are you an aging cad, wanting to show the ladies that you can still squeeze into skinny jeans and have the cash to show them a good time?

then go for the full ensemble.

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #18 GuyIncognito, Jul 14, 2017
    now, if you're a homeless junkie being loaded into a van on the way to the shelter, you may want to go for the more subtle look and just wear a hat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, unless you are at the circuit and a driver or on the team - then it's amazing. Small items at car shows and events or out IMHO is fine.

Saying "classy" is also extremely déclassé - if I had 1$ for every time I had to read that on this site I'd have a f40.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

[​IMG]
    Chilling at dfw airport, just hoping someone asks me if I do in fact own a Ferrari!
    T

21. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #21 Alpintourer, Jul 14, 2017
  22. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson

Word has it, those are the Dino thread guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    This reminds me of the photo of a guy at an event wearing Ferrari apparel from head to toe. Wish I saved the pic...

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. If you have to wear Ferrari/Any other car brand, then id suggest to just wear one piece of branded clothing and with a logo as small as possible. Unless you are a kid..

Id say the only acceptable situation to wear those loud shirts/shoes are if you are attending an actual race events as you are showing support to a specific team.

25. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I have a ton of stuff because family thinks it's the only thing they can think of to buy for Christmas etc. I wear a specific hat my sister bought for me 18 years ago. It has been all over and is now the perfect faded red. I've had people offer to buy it from me...NO. I guess they think I bought a nostalgic hat or something. That is generally my Ferrari attire and I'll never wear more than 1 piece of clothing that identifies the brand. It's just too ******y...to me IMO.