Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA East > Florida - Sponsored by Ferrari of Tampa Bay

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: DL
F-Chat west coaster wanting to visit FL / Miami

Greetings Florida F-chatters!

Here's the situation...My wife and I are looking at spending an October week in FL celebrating our anniversary; we've never been to FL. Our initial thought is Miami. We've heard so much about the beaches, pools, and nightlife. Sure we'll do some of the romantic one-on-one stuff (dinners, etc.), but we both like going out and having a good time.

Questions...If Miami, then...

1) Where to stay. So far I've heard Delano, Fontainbleau, Loews, SLS. In addition to specific hotel recommendations, where are the good spots in Miami (South Beach?)

2) Where to dine. Could use a few restaurant recommendations. Local/regional fare, plus any favorites.

3) Nightlife. Where to go out. And any advice on getting into certain clubs (if like Vegas or LA, what's the secret handshake, etc.)

4) Other fun stuff to do during the day. Where to go / visit. And which beaches.

5) Weather. Is October even a good month to visit FL. I heard rainfall may be an issue. Hurricane season?

...Finally, we're not locked into Miami; its just the most we've heard about. Any other city recommendations.

Thanks!

Don L
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Bill Tracy
WilliamH and John Temerian are the resident experts on the Miami nightlife I think. I like Carrabba's... LOL

BT
Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlopez001 View Post
Greetings Florida F-chatters!

Here's the situation...My wife and I are looking at spending an October week in FL celebrating our anniversary; we've never been to FL. Our initial thought is Miami. We've heard so much about the beaches, pools, and nightlife. Sure we'll do some of the romantic one-on-one stuff (dinners, etc.), but we both like going out and having a good time.

Questions...If Miami, then...

1) Where to stay. So far I've heard Delano, Fontainbleau, Loews, SLS. In addition to specific hotel recommendations, where are the good spots in Miami (South Beach?)

2) Where to dine. Could use a few restaurant recommendations. Local/regional fare, plus any favorites.

3) Nightlife. Where to go out. And any advice on getting into certain clubs (if like Vegas or LA, what's the secret handshake, etc.)

4) Other fun stuff to do during the day. Where to go / visit. And which beaches.

5) Weather. Is October even a good month to visit FL. I heard rainfall may be an issue. Hurricane season?

...Finally, we're not locked into Miami; its just the most we've heard about. Any other city recommendations.

Thanks!

Don L

Hopefully some of this info helps.

1) those are good hotels...good location as well.....make a point to go to Nikki Beach during the day- good time.

2) if you like sushi Doraku on Lincoln road is very good.

3) unless you have more women than just your wife you probably wont be getting in any "good" clubs....make friends with a couple single hot chicks in line and you'll fair much better...OR make arrangements to buy a bottle (or 2) and you'll be good.

Consider from April - July....not as much chance for rain.

Put Key West on your list....I always have a great time there....stay at the Pier House...its at the end of Duval St.....lots of fun stuff to do.

Have a great time.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

FL/Miami ?

Are you looking for busy or more on the quiet side?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320 View Post
Are you looking for busy or more on the quiet side?
A little of both. We will be there for 6 days/nights so plenty of time. Yes we will want to soak up all the famed Miami nite life (which continues during the day at numerous beach/pool parties). But we will also want some R&R couple time (i.e., quiet side).

Something else. We are both active adults, and would look to get some form of exercise daily (ok, maybe every other day). Running along the beach / boardwalk is a given, but what else?

And if we decided to go to Key West for a day or two, what's the best way to get there? Rent a car and drive? Commuter/regional jet?

Thanks,

Don L
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

More s Fla tips

First, weather in October can still be oppressively humid and warm. I am not sure how much time you have spent in Florida, but when it is humid is HUMID. It is the tail end of the rainy season. I would put off your visit until Nov 1 if you can. October is still the off season, so you may find Miami Beach a bit quiet, which can be good or bad.

Drive the keys. Rent a car. The drive is half the reason to go there.

Go to the keys, but stay somewhere other than Key West. Just go to Key West for the day, (unless you want to booze it all night). The Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada is a nice, natural enviroment after the concrete of Miami Beach.

Miami Beach is great. Great urban environment, tons of places to eat. Consider the Ritz Carlton for its location at the end of Lincoln Road, which is also a pedestrian mall in places. Was there on Saturday night, and enjoyed it very much.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

FL Keys.

Agree on Islamorada and the drive to the Keys, both a must. The East side (Miami) is more hustle and the West side (Naples, Ft Myers, Sarasota) is a bit more subdued. Both are great just depends on what your taste is. Certainly you will enjoy either/both.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: HUBBSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by craterface View Post
First, weather in October can still be oppressively humid and warm. I am not sure how much time you have spent in Florida, but when it is humid is HUMID. It is the tail end of the rainy season. I would put off your visit until Nov 1 if you can. October is still the off season, so you may find Miami Beach a bit quiet, which can be good or bad.

Drive the keys. Rent a car. The drive is half the reason to go there.

Go to the keys, but stay somewhere other than Key West. Just go to Key West for the day, (unless you want to booze it all night). The Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada is a nice, natural enviroment after the concrete of Miami Beach.

Miami Beach is great. Great urban environment, tons of places to eat. Consider the Ritz Carlton for its location at the end of Lincoln Road, which is also a pedestrian mall in places. Was there on Saturday night, and enjoyed it very much.
All right on the $

You can rent an exotic from my friend John T here if you like or I can pass you my drivers #

PM me when you are coming in & I'll have some promoter friends get you into clubs

Delano is very nice & has pool parties, I like Raleigh too & Sagamore. The Loews is excellent but no pool parties, more family oriented I believe.

Fontainebleu is awesome but a little out of the way, though they have the bext club in MB at LIVE

You want to be walking distance to Lincoln Rd which is an outdoor mall like Santa Monica where all the best restaurants are
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tone Def
Caffe Abrracci in Coral Gables. Senna's favorite place, and incredible Italian. Anyone famous in town goes there, because the food and service are great.

You can talk to the owner Nino froma Lago de Garda, Italy, about F1 and Ferrari.

Where to stay, where to go, what to do, all depend on your age, what you like to do, your fetishes, etc. Please be a little more specific with this.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Good advice!

William -- Thanks for the advice & hookups. We are finalizing our trip, and when I know exact dates, I'll shoot you a PM. No rush since trip is still 6 months away. Still trying to figure out 2-day trip to keys, at least Islamorada if not all the way to Key West.

RP -- Good questions. We are early 40s, but 'immature' so to speak. Don't mind hanging with a slightly younger crowd; prefer it and we'll blend right in. Interests range from 'wild & all night party' to 'chic R&R' during the day. We'd be up for just about anything...so long as its legal!

Cheers,

Don L