Quick trip to Miami, any suggestions for out-of-towner | FerrariChat

Quick trip to Miami, any suggestions for out-of-towner

Discussion in 'Florida' started by lamontlawyer921, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So my friend is testing for an Indy racing team at Homestead on 9/29 and/or 9/30, thinking of flying in via red-eye to Miami early am 9/29, and watching the testing, seeing Miami at night, and then heading to the keys for a few days via a rental car. Probably bringing the wife. Any and all suggestions for good lodging, eating, and the "Can't miss" sites and bars/pubs/attractions...thinking of renting a convertible for the week? Thanks!

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You may want to reconsider bringing wifey :)

4. dirtlawyer

dirtlawyer Rookie

Sep 28, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hard to go wrong with the classic: Biltmore Coral Gables. Famous, very pretty and huge nice pool. I lived very close to it but was a poor law student at the time so my restaurant recommendations would be too down-market for the wife (of she's anything like mine). The Collection is a nice dealership to check out in that area. If you're going all the way to key west, sunset key cottages is a great place to stay.
    What type of law do you practice?

5. lamontlawyer921

Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I practice real estate, construction, and corporate mostly...with a little aviation and automotive. 80% transactional and 20% litigation...also teach real estate law, real estate finance and business law when the local universities need adjunct.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Coral Gables is about 45 minutes north of Homestead. Hotels around the speedway are more the budget type. You should stay at the Biltmore in the Gables. On the national historic registry, their pool may still be the largest in the country.

If you do bring the wife, take her to dinner at Caffee Abrracci in the Gables. Been around 25 years, anyone famous in town goes there for the best Italian in south Florida. Elegantly casual. The owner Nino, would get a phone call from Aryton Senna to come pick him up from his hotel, and they would have dinner together. When Lauda was piloting his cargo airline, he would go there for dinner. Nino is a true Ferrari fan. If you go, ask for him. Better yet, let me know if you go and I will call him. I got married there four years ago, Nino was my best man. Usually a Ferrari or two parked out front. The food is incredible. Even vegan Paul McCartney goes there as he knows Nino will take care of him.

As for the Keys, try to stay in a bed and breakfast in the city center. It is a walking town, parking can be tough. All the major chains are in Key West, but a bed and breakfast would be more romantic.

7. dirtlawyer

dirtlawyer Rookie

Sep 28, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Good advice RP. Regarding Key West I agree completely if you want to explore and experience the town. Sunset Key is just my wife's favorite for getting away from it all so I dont know the b&b's there. I worked in a b&b in college (Charleston) and we think the small local places do a great job of immersing you in a city and getting you from zero to local quickly.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Latitudes on Sunset Key with the wife, about half hour before sunset if you can get a reservation... T

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Eden House is a nice boutique hotel in Old Town...T

10. lamontlawyer921

Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    thanks guys! Looks like if i go, it will be sans wife, as her mother is not around to take care of the kids aka our two shiba inus...I still might make the trip solo. The Italian restaurant sounds money!!! How's the weather been?