308/328 GTO Rebody in Florida? | FerrariChat

308/328 GTO Rebody in Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ultimate Pedals, Feb 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Does anyone know if there are any 308/328 GTO rebodies here in Florida?

I am wondring how well the kits fit, how hard it is to remove the original panels and install the new panels, and how well it reproduces the original 288 GTO shape (other than the 4" wheelbase difference).

The reason I ask is my 85 308 was recently hit between the left rear tire and the door.

Repair estimate is at least $4600.

I figure for another $4000 I would get and install a body kit.

Then have it professionally prepped and painted.

Thanks,

Rob

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Rob:
    I am in Boca, have been considering a similar conversion. There are two kits that I can find so far, and they are in the $8000+ range, more if you want them in carbon fiber. So your total cost would be more than double that. I don't have the info handy, but e-mail me and I will send it back to you. Neither will be exact, as the 308/328 had a horizontal engine, the 288 had a longitudinal.

They do not appear to be a simple bolt on. You actually have to bond the pieces to the body, probably with epoxy. I do not know of one in Florida, but you have to believe that they are out there. They look great if done right.

Ron
    [email protected]

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Rob:

having sold one that was as close to the original as they can get here is my advise:

have your car fixed and make sure the insurance Co will reimburse you also for loss of value. Doccument the damage and make sure there is no frame. Sometimes it is better to tell the INsurance to go ahead and give you the value of the car or replace it with one that had no accident and you are getting the results you want.

Loss of value is a huge factor in Ferrari.

As for the GTO conversions: None of them are right. The one I had was close to right. The rear decklid has to be changed entirely. The conversion cost to do it right is substantial. There is not much that can be left untouched once you get into it.

Most kits work with the original decklid and that is so wrong. The immediate sign of a conversion is the gap between body and decklid if you look at the C-pilar.

You are better off just fixing your car.

BTW a converted 308 is worth less than a real 308. so not just that you are spending valuable cash you are depreciating you vehicle as well.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I think Italian auto said to me that the whole conversion was about $25,000. The only conversions that looked real were the Norwood ones, he used to cut the chassis and add the inches so he could fit exact GTO body panels dimensions to the car. His 308/288GTO had original GTO body panels.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i really liked the one that Martin had at Cavallino motors. i wanted one BAD and i am sorry i missed it. member JDAVID has a nice one, perhaps he can be Pm'd for info since he has a nice example. i never knew that rebodies are worth less than real 3x8's. seems to me there are not that many around.

6. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Not surprising, it isn't a GTO, it isn't a 3x8. To some, it isn't even a Ferrari any more - no more than the 250 GTO's that are really rebodied 280Zs (or 330's or even different model 250s).

That being said, 3x8's will never be great collector cars - there are just too many. So if you are going to sacrifice a Ferrrari on the altar of conversion, it is a respectible choice - at the same time, recognize that significant body modifications like a 288 GTO rebody will ruin them for what they WERE.

That being said, the 288 GTO was a baaaaad looking car, if you need to do body work anyway, go for it! Bear in mind that, in metal, it would be a big (expensive) project. Even "standard" 3x8 body panels require a few hours of 'fine tuning' for proper fit. Custom panels are going to be even more tricky and will require someone with serious metal bending talent.

The Norwood Conversion is pretty cool and is very well executed, but pricey, - however, as a bonus, they can build you an appropriate engine too --- then you'd really be talking.

Scottie

7. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
  8. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    Cavallino Motors...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell your rebody for if you remember? Thanks!

9. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Oh boy.....long time ago. I would say $ 35K. we did a bunch of work on the car. I mean a bunch of work. It was mechanically in tip top shape.