Garage HELP, insulation suggestions/sealing and AC for the ol garage | FerrariChat

Garage HELP, insulation suggestions/sealing and AC for the ol garage

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I have a 3 car garage that is getting the ol AC treatment. I need to know if any of you know
    of a good company in Sarasota that can facilitate the "sealing up" the garage.

I hear from the company that I will use to install the actual air, recommended this, but did not recommend a company to do this.

I am overseas otherwise I'd probably research and do it myself.

SO..

What is deemed necessary?

I have the typical electric slide-up 2 door and single door setup. Should I replace them as well?

Please and thank you,

-OC

2. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    What do you mean "seal up"? Putting in mini-split system? They are extremely efficient and cost effective. Just making sure your garage doors are up to hurricane code should be sufficient.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would take it that "seal up" means insulation and air leaks.

4. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #4 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Yes and yes. Also, other then shooting foam into the are where there might be a crack here and there, I don't know what else should be done.

5. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Better question, what kind of hike did you see in electric? My wife seems convinced it will be around $600 to cool. I think that is ridiculous. I think it would be about $200 more/electric.

6. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    It might be worth it to insulate the garage doors with a DIY rigid foam insulation kit. For a more finished look, buying insulated garage doors would be an option.

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Agreed, this will be a huge asset if you want to AC the garage.

8. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    First thing you need to check the attic over the garage to see if it is insulated, many houses are not. I also install a rubber gasket on the sides of the doors to seal them. I painted the inside of the garage door and them install the rigid foam and then painted it to match the interior. Also which direction does the garage face.

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The people who are going to install the AC should have done a heat load calculation. That is necessary to properly select the tonnage of the AC unit. Too small and the unit will run forever and the garage will not be cooled or dehumidified. Too large and the unit will constantly be cycling on and off and wearing unnecessarily. Ask them what thermal loss values they based their selection on. An insulation company will need to know this to be able to achieve the desired thermal loss. Otherwise, your wife's concern of $600 to cool 600-700 sq ft may come to pass. Your $200 estimate seems OK for a garage, and if heavily insulated, could be in line with the cost for a small apartment or condo. For what it is worth, we have a small condo in Sarasota and my wife says the electric bill runs in the $50 to $75 a month range.

10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    The quote I received was for one unit based on sq ft of the garage. So pretty much what you stated, is what they did.

I appreciate everyones input. I am going to get this started.

11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Yes the direction the doors face are important...in California they rarely insulate the walls either..so I might check the wall insulation also..i did the same to my doors, I bought the insulated ones factory installed for my other garage and it wasn't very good...just my 2c..