Update on Medical Pot? | FerrariChat

Update on Medical Pot?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Texas Forever, Feb 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is not meant as a P&R question. Fact is I'm in Texas (naturally) and my 93-year old mother lives in Pensacola. She has been suffering from nerve pain so I have been trying to follow the status of medical marijuana. I'm aware the constitutional amendment passed, but what is the status of actually dispensing the stuff? From what I can tell, it was turned into a political football (read money) and has not gotten out of the starting blocks. Is this correct? Is the problem finding a doc who will write a script? If you get a prescription, can you get it filled?

Thanks in advance.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Amendment has passed and docs can write scripts, but they are few and far between. But even that is besides the point as there is no way to get a script filled. I know because my mother has severe glaucoma and has a script but no way to fill it legally yet.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Thx, so the hang up is dispensing, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe no weed but there seems to be plenty of crack in florida

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    amendment passed but the law hasn't been written yet (I think they have until the end of May to get it done), so you can see patients and begin the certification process, but the end of that process isn't clear ;)

dispensary licenses are starting to be issued and sites selected, etc.

also factor in a lot of county/city gov'ts are passing moratoriums on dispensaries and/or certification clinics and there are a lot of gray areas.

I've done one lease for a certification clinic and working on a second, the second one is in a city with a moratorium on dispensaries and we had to get the city planning commissioner to write us a letter permitting the use so we can get an occupancy permit.

I imagine by late summer/ fall the situation will be much clearer.

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Fwiw , here in Sarasota , Bradenton and Venice they've passed 9 month moratoriums on pot shoppes. The doctors are writing scrips but nowhere close to fill it. If I'm not mistaken Tampa is selling weed.

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Whether it's available yet or not, the 20 year old dreadlocks and flip flop crowd are still "super stoked" about it.

I asked one that was going on about it a couple of weeks ago "So exactly what disease do you have?" The guy looked at me like I had two heads. No idea what I was talking about.

Makes sense when you remember that all of the big "Yes On 2" rallies were held on college and university campuses.

Yep. Florida.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's cool brah, HIV, AIDS and hepatitis are qualifying illnesses.

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    hope they get on the ball
    I've been forced to self medicate since '64