France (Paris) on a budget? | FerrariChat

France (Paris) on a budget?

Discussion in 'France' started by texasmr2, Nov 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Please excuse my ignorance but I think I can get the best advice here. It has been years since I traveled abroad (Russia, The Netherlands, Belgium) but I have always had a secret love affair with France. A few of my friends who toured the region said France was the most enjoyable. I love food so I was debating between France and Spain (might do both) so I am hoping I can get some advice regarding boarding. I think I might enjoy a B&B room more than the generic hotel stay as I like to make new friends and the hospitality.

I would like to do this for my 53rd birthday so I still have a little more than 1.5yrs to plan this trip so time is not a huge issue. If anyone would or could help me and guide me I will buy you dinner.

Merci et votre aide sera très appréciée,
    Gregg

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Gregg,

I am looking at going for New Years and have been looking at Air BNB, www.airbnb.com

There is a map feature which will let you filter in the area you are wanting.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Get out of my head because I just remembered Air BNB LOL! I would like to spend my birthday, July 4th, there but not until 2017 (if I live that long). New Years would be awesome but I am dealing with aging parents health issues so I am not in the position any time soon. I would love to meet up with someone I could enjoy the adventure with though when the time is right.

I never felt more alive than when I was far, far away and experiencing life through other people eye's. I performed some family history a few years back and found that my last name originated in France in 1066. From France to Texas...who would have thought?

4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I not too far off that. My Grt-Grt-Grt grand father was from France and we settled in OK.

Would agree, a meetup in France would be great. Do you guys in France have Cars and Coffee, or would that be Auto et Cafe?

I'm also with you on the travel part. Best to get off the tourist trail.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did not even do the tourist trail when I was in Amsterdam in '98 (I might have done the Red Light District though). I do believe that there are a few places that are key though but those would barely equal 10% of the stay. I am more into food culture and socializing and making new friends.

It would be great to experience France with someone so if you would like to kick the idea around, PM me. I am sure we will get some good advice from others on places to see and eat. My passport expired years ago so that will be a priority as well as find a B&B outside of Paris in the French countryside and hopefully a Ferrari friend and or event to attend.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wife & I went on honeymoon in France many years ago when we were not so financially blessed as now. We stretched our francs by avoiding restaurants - self-catering I think the Brits call it. Twas fun to shop in the patisserie, boulangerie, fromagerie, wine shop, etc., chat up the locals, continental breakfast, do picnic lunches, etc...T

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you Tom. Life has been a bit crazy and I could use a vacation (time to my self).
    I might even stay a night or two in Amsterdam trying to connect with old friends if possible. I love it when anything is in the realm of possibility.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    We do have a local version of "cars and coffee" in Paris indeed...and in other places also. No worry.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    July is usually "rather hot" and not very pleasant in Paris itself (see the other thread on the same sub-forum). The Fourth of July, outside being your America's national day, usually is "about the day" for the beginning of the summer holydays here (= depending on the year, it might be the 4th, the 5th, or the 6th); especially if the fourth is a Saturday, the roads will be heavily saturated with traffic...

Rgds

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Gregg,

Amsterdam is now very easy to connect from Paris by train: High speed train to Brussel (1:30 from Paris), then Amsterdam: about 3:30 total duration.
    I know Americans usually think either car or airplane, but due to the "different dimensions" of our country, we use trains a lot, especially the high-speed train network which connect Paris with most of the "regional capitals", and "center of city" to "center of city".
    Booked in advance, it is even "not that expensive"...

Rgds

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you for all your help nerofer as your advice is a valuable asset. I dig the train aspect as I took one from Brussels into Amsterdam and it was fantastic. I will never forget the beautiful young Parisian lady who shared her chips with me.

As mentioned the 4th is my b-day and since I am a Texan I deal with the heat 90% of the year but Paris in the winter is definitely a viable option. I am open to any and all suggestions and I am still in the beginning stages. I believe one of the best parts of the trip would be meeting and enjoying the company of fellow F-Chatters.

With your permission I would like to stay in touch and get your opinions & input?

Thank you,
    Gregg

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Of course Gregg: don't hesitate.

Rgdd

13. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    For a while there, Air France had some really cheap packages to Paris in late Jan and early Feb. They used cover airfare and accommodations but with a minimum stay.

The weather may not be great that time of year, but if you're looking to spend a lot of time in the incredible museums and restaurants it may be a great option, leaving visits during better weather months for other must-have experiences.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #14 texasmr2, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    I am just getting started and honestly kind of lost but I am researching and have over a year to plan and arrange things. My first priority is to renew my passport and then decide on accommodation's and if I want to include a few days in Amsterdam.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good talking to you last night Jonny (Sniper rifle) lol.

So as it stands the list goes....
    1) Get new passport ( I looked into it last night and mine has been expired too long to renew but that is a non-issue).
    2) Choose dates (season).
    3) Book accommodations.
    4) Book flight.
    5) Enjoy.

16. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Good to talk with you Gregg. Hope you had a good holiday.

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Is this a seasonal gathering or every weekend?

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Every second sunday of the month; but There is something scheduled at a nearby château for classic cars on Sunday, dec. 27th. Cars, but without coffee.
    I am investigating.
    Rgds

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Oh man I bet that gathering will be very nice and picturesque.

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...if Johnny is indeed coming, are we going to let him down?

Rgds

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    LOL that's great! You rock brother. ;)

22. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Let me know what you find out. I can always pick coffee up on the way.

Indeed I am. I'll make it happen.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If it works out as expected, I'll plan to drive You There myself, in my brother's trusty VW Polo.
    Rgds

24. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Sounds great. I'll PM you where I am staying when I finalize the details.

25. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Flights out of LAX-CDG via Air Tahiti Nui are really inexpensive. Just a planning data point.