Advice on 365 Daytona Replica | FerrariChat

Advice on 365 Daytona Replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jet2911, Jul 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Unless I'm very mistaken this is not a forum for replicas - sorry

3. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
  4. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Take a look for the kit car message board, I am sure they will have answers to your questions

5. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    I have never understood why some one would buy a replica. It is the ultimate poseur statement.

6. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I agree with you, however I am trying to politely guide our friendly poster to the correct web site

7. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006
    I understand, I'm sorry!

8. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Just to add a little value to this thread:

A Fiero, Corvette, Beetle, etc. kit car is one thing . . . on the other hand, there are some very high-quality replicas of Ford GT40s, Lancia Stratos, and Porsche 917s that are near copies of the originals, usually with slight improvements. :)

9. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Imo a Ford GT replicar is ok because most are built with correct parts and I would buy one if done correctly. A Ferrari replicar is a crime because most are built using Fiero parts. This Daytona may look good and correct, but at the end of the day you still have a 20 year old Vette. I would not pay the buy it now price of 21,500. To Jet2911 why would you buy a fake when you have a real Ferrari 348?

10. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The others I get, but I never understood the Strato's replica thing, it's not like there were only a dozen of them to begin with.

11. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    One word. . . .

DON'T !!!

12. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ...and would you wear your imitation Rolex while driving it?

13. sudz1234

sudz1234 Karting

May 5, 2006

14. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I don't think it looks good or correct! ;)

15. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    This is the wrong place to get advice for kits.

you might wanna go over to google then type in kitcar forums, atleast you can find people who will give you straight forward advice rather than get critize.

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm pretty sure the prerequisite for this forum is that the motor was not made by Chevy.

Just a wild guess...

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

Its a Chevy motor, its the same kind they use in the camaros from the 70's a popular engine swap for those type of ferrari reps esepically the old GTO's.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    We need a "replica/kit/continuation" sub forum!!!

Perhaps kits/etc don't belong on F-chat, but they are bound to come up with the MV connection, with all the vintage debates, etc.

It (replicas) wont go away, & as such give the subject a real forum where the experts can voice their opinion and educate. Fiero replicas die a quick death, MV replicas are always an interesting topic of conversation, GTO's, vintage barn finds always bring out the best stuff. Give F-chat an area to really discuss this stuff and the wheat will be blown from the chaff.

19. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
    Point taken on the wrong forum - but there really is no place to post this. I HAD a 348 - and had my share of issues - A replica is just that - a replica - the 365 Conv has been my dream car - and I cant afford the hefty price for a real one. My concern with my real Ferrari is there is nobody in my "little" town of Richmond, Va who could work on the Ferrari. I am sure I can get someone to work on a Vette motor and transmission is something fails. FYI - I have a real Rolex and a Replica Rolex - The real one is nicer - but the reps with an ETA movt are close. Thanks for the advice.

20. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Hey, I am not biased, here are some facts. The Chevrolet windshield and engine are obvious drawbacks. Corvettes from this era were overpowered and dangerous. Only those Corvettes beginning '84 had some degree of safety over 100 mph. Early Corvettes have very quick steering, which is great for parking lot speeds. At speed these early Corvettes can be leathal.

The heart and soul of a car is the engine.

21. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I've always said that, you can buy several older 'genuine' Ferraris for that price

22. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
  23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd agree, even looking past the fact that it's a Chevy (which isn't easy...) it just doesn't hold a candle to the real thing visually. And the real thing is way up on my list of the prettiest cars ever made.

It also makes my stomach turn a bit to see the giant cavallino emblem on the tail. I've seen some excellent Porsche 550 Spyder replicas, but these say 'Spyder' on the fender and are built without Porsche emblems -- somehow seems more honest to me.

24. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
    Well, Thanks for all those who have replied. I am not interested in a Rep 365 that is Perfectly Accurate by any means. I wanted advice on this type of car and engine {chevy 350} and of course having the car fixed - if needed. I assume a Vette mechanic would be in order. I appreciate everyones input. And yes, NOTHING can replace an original Daytona.

25. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    It looks like an interesting car though. I just can't get over how bad the pictures are.

It's frustrating to have to search for the side shot only to find the camera is practically staring into the sun. A lot of help that is.
    This guy should get back out there and take some decent pics when it's cloudy, or get in the shade.

Car does look like it would benefit from being lowered though. Otherwise, a much better copy than most others I've seen.