Merecedes 280SE Convertible | FerrariChat

Merecedes 280SE Convertible

Discussion in 'Other German' started by donv, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Anyone on here have experience with these? Either the V8 (3.5) or the 6?

I've been getting quite interested in these, and I like big 4-seat coupes. The idea of a big 4 seat convertible seems like fun.

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #2 Pass, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I restore these cars for a living (as well as the gullwings); I have a 1971 concours quality one for sale. Dark Blue Metallic, Bamboo leather, dark brown wool carpets, factory air, burl wood, Louis Vuitton luggage set. 6 month 6000 Mile Bumper to Bumper warranty. Restored to highest standards. $225k USD See my website www.ranchomerced.com Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    The 3.5 was in the first of the 107 chassis generation SLs. The 3. 5 did not last long, 1972-73 in the SL. I believe there were issues with that engine. The 3.5 was immediately followed by the 4.5.

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #4 Pass, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    Hey Vteqe, what issues? The engine was only changed due to the US smog regulations (bored out to increase horsepower to offset different cams and injectors) that were required in 1971. By the way that engine design has been used by Mercedes for more than 2 decades; they are bullit proof with the exception of the 1983/84 380SL which found the single roller timing chain to be the weak link. (Pun Intended).

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for the info. If I were to add one to the fleet (have to sell something else first-- only so many garage spaces, you know!) it would be a driver, rather than a concours car.

Is there a website focused on those cars, like the one about 6.3/6.9/600 cars?

6. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    That's cool to know. These cars are it for me. I'm really inching my way towards a 63-72 (?)SL. There are 2 guys close by who handle only cars like this.. Take a look to see some of their inventory, it's quite interesting..
    http://wholesalecalifornia.com/

7. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #7 Hoodude, Jul 28, 2008
    Don,
    If it doesn't have one of these don't do it :) . I kid but it did take me many years to find a decent Nardi for the SL I've been fool'n with for the last oh 18 years. And altho I don't know much about the sel's they do have LA Staff Car written all over and for good reason. I keep hearing about their ''hand-built''nature and someting about the''finest'' car other than the 300slGW MB ever did. I was sorta looking for one of these 4door convrt cruzers and wasn't afraid of the in-line6 which is just an outstanding mill. The 3.5's used to be not too long ago,top notch shape asking 65/75, but one was auctioned for 150ish[I'd haveto check my SCM when and where] but the follow up article said this was now the floor on these nice cars and then WOW look at Mark's asking on his which btw is stunning,and I'm not saying it o-p'd but it's gorgeous.
    It may well be not so terribly hard to find a very nice driver example[the owners tended to know these were nice cars and took decent care of them] for under a hundred[75 if patient] and take 25 off for a 6 but condition is so important and the price is like what the buyer'n'seller agree on. And please this is very much imho.
    cheers,
    RE
    ps,how's the Leo?
    pps,Avery loved riding in the back of the SL,Barns hated it

8. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    The 3.5 was available in the 108 and 109 chassis designation, the 3.5 was available as the 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, and 300SEL 3.5. Only the latter was available in North America, and only for one year (1971). The 3.5l was built from 1970 until 1972 (according to MB)

Besides all of the above, I researched the engine and could not find many adverse issues regarding the engine. My recollection is when it was new. My father held out for the 4.5l SEL forgoing the 3.5l (71' vs a 72'). I vagely remember a time chain issue but I can not find any info on the chain issue. Myself, I bought a 280SL new and still have it (a 2.8l 6 w/69,000 miles)

9. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Sandy,
    Really like to see pics of your sl. One owners rare to say the least.
    cheers,
    RE

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Funny, after all these years (almost 10!), I finally bought a 280SE 3.5 Coupe. And, it has a Nardi steering wheel!

(Not correct, I know... but it does look good anyway, and a correct wheel looks pretty easy to source).

Naturally, being me, this point should mark the peak of 280SE Coupe price appreciation...

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    the gold one on BaT?

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, that's the one. We'll see if I was a fool or not...

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Very cool. I have lusted over these cars for a while, last of the coach built MBs. Keep us updated on what it is like to drive.

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    amazing cars....

i need one of those BEHR air conditioning units if you sell yours

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Henry, do you have a 280SE? I saw your comments during the BAT auction...

my thought is to more or less leave the car as it is, and not attempt a restoration (although there are a few rust areas which I will attend to).

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i had a low grille 6 cycl coupe that my buddy has now. he also has a 3.5 coupe and a cabriolet. so i know enough about them to get into trouble.

incredible cars. timeless design.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #17 henryr, May 16, 2017
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wasn't aware they made a low grill with a 6. I thought they were all 3.5's.

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yes, the most "rare" of them all.....

20. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

I love the W111 coupes & covertible . We had one when I was 7 years old a 220SE w/ a manual gearbox . My Dad regretted selling it to buy the a 68 Chevrolet Chevelle hardtop w/ a big block engine. If I had one I will surely shoehorn a 5.6 liter V8 engine of the R107 560SL.

audio research

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Henry, that is a beauty!

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    In ads, you see a lot of 1960s Mercedes with automatic transmissions parked in "N" (and I assume with the parking brake on).

Is that something I should be doing with my 280SE?

Also, is there a decent vintage Mercedes forum? All I can find are "vintage" sections of the modern Mercedes sites, and those don't seem to get that much traffic.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #24 donv, May 23, 2017
    There is another red one on the market as well. I'm not a fan of red other than on some Ferraris or 911s, but that's just me...

That car says something about "Euro" spec, yet it has US side marker lights... amazing how much I'm learning about these cars. My car is a bit strange because it has sunroof, air conditioning, etc-- yet manual windows!

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How does it ride. I've driven one once, and it was a while ago. A bit of tank, as I recall, but a good tank.