New Vector...!!! | FerrariChat

New Vector...!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 134282, Oct 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ten liter V8, almost 2,000 horsepower, quarter mile in under eight seconds, 0-60 in under three - click here.

2. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Be interesting how they are going to get the power to the wheels....

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think 200 mph is fast enough for me

Any faster and I'd want wings attached to it

4. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I have a lot of photos of "This" car. Interesting design but I really think they would be much better off slapping an electric motor into it.

The game has changed. Its not all about the "Power" anymore. Vector is living in the 80s. They have a cool design and interesting history but thats it.

A friend was approached by Vector and was asked to invest in this project. I advised against it. Considering the amount of capital required to pull it off I suggested he look into Federalizing the Pagani Zonda and importing them instead !

just my .02

(Cool Car Though)

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I really hope they can pull this off, if only to keep the coachbuilding tradition alive.

That said, I don't think that's a good looking car. Makes an SSC Aero look like a real Gandini.

6. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Terrible performance for the horsepower it puts down, considering Porsche 962 offered similar numbers with 730hp TwinTurbo Flat6.

http://www.qv500.com/dauer962p1.php

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It seems like something two eighth graders dreamed up in study hall.

Let's make it have 600 hp.
    No 800 hp.
    No 1000 hp.
    NO 2000 HP!
    Cool!

8. bobs f430 F1

bobs f430 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 27, 2008
    Bel Air
    Full Name:
    Bob Newman
    So any one want to tell me whats up with the Toyota Supra Headlights on it ?

9. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Great car but its no W8.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    From wiki:

Controversy/Criticism

Wiegert has faced heavy media criticism for some of his decisions and behavior during his run at Vector. He has developed a reputation for exaggerating the capabilities of his cars, squandering investor money on a lavish lifestyle and in turn, disappointing fans and customers when the vehicles do not deliver as promised. He has cheated every investor out of their investment. Nobody but Jerry Wiegert ever makes money on his projects. He is being sued by numerous banks and investors and is under investigation by the IRS. When the W8 was unveiled to the public, he claimed that it was able to outperform respected supercars of the era, such as the Ferrari F40, Lamborghini Diablo, and the Jaguar XJ220. Critics, however, point to the dramatically lower engineering budgets and lack of wind testing on the Vector line as evidence that Wiegert's claims are not sustainable. For example, the W8's lack of downforce — early models reputedly had a problem with the front ends leaving the ground at high speeds — likely limits it to 190 mph (310 km/h) at best, despite a claimed top speed of 230 mph (370 km/h).

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That is a street legal, VERY light racecar. Apples to oranges.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #12 SSNISTR, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    It will never pull that off....not even close. 10's at best. That claim is a joke.

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Those Vectors have been driven around to various car shows in California for while now, they are interesting as a curious side note of supercar history but that is about all. To my untrained eye the design seems badly dated and with even a medium range inspection the cars are looking a little rough in my opinion. The "Hypercar" name itself seems like a humorous throwback to the '80s, it's what you drive while wearing a Hypercolor T shirt. I can't be too critical though, the "Hypercar" is no doubt an important stage in sports car evolution. Unfortunately I doubt it will last long as I hear Bugatti has begun development of a "Ludicrouscar" which reportedly develops 10,000 horsepower and a propriety five wheel drive system.

14. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I wouldnt say 10's at best maybe a high 9 but 7's is not even in the ballpark. The motor there using looks to be a twin supercharged big block chevy, intersting power plant defiantly but its gonna take alot of boost and race gas to get to 2000hp out of that motor.

15. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    looks like something out of a cartoon. designed with tight budget?

16. Sepp

Sepp Rookie

Aug 30, 2008
    Looks awesome. Interested, if they get it finished... huge project...

Greetz

Sepp

17. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +1

I actually don't see any advanced technology there. Even *if* the car will deliver the performance as promised, just putting a huge engine in a chassis doesn't match my understanding of a well engineered, refined sports car. I'd bet they don't have the resources to make it halfway controllable with that kind of power...

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    It won't have the proper drag set up suspension to even hit 9's I bet. Unless they don't care about the handling....

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    What a mess. The original Vector said it came out of the Aerospace industry, but what did it really acomplish that was ground breaking? Carbon fiber had been used before, V8's are almost old world, the doors? all I could really see is a bunch of fancy aircraft switches?????

Looks like a mid engine Camaro

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The original W8 was designed to last the lifetime of the owner with general maintainence.

The Vector was the fastest car of it's time; was tested at Bonneville at the time to 242.1 mph rpm limited.
    It was also innovative in it's crash structure. To this day, it is the safest car to be in a side-impact collision. Impressive for 1980's technology. Materials use, quality of the build process, and exacting measurements aren't so different than the Veyron; yet the styling is. The W8 in so many ways was like the Veyron of it's time before the crooks took over the company; cancelled 48 orders, sent back their deposits...etc. etc.

21. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I like the car but without racing slick's I dont see how it will be able to achieve those performance number's.

22. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    ugly as hell....

23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The 242 number is impressive if real, but the Vector is soooo unlike the Veyron and here is why.

The Veyron has styling and taste.

The Veyron is capable of over 200 MPH on current roads

The Veyron has it's own engine design

It has an ESP system

Veyron is being built for a limited production

Just like the builders of the Tesla are learning it takes more to get a car into production than a limited run of 2-5 cars. Not everyone has a million dollars to buy the Veyron, so I would say the Saleen is closer to a Vector and it has all the bugs worked out. Since this car exsists why buy a Vector???

24. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I took photos of the prototype car doing laps while sworn to secrecy. Have some beautiful shots at sun set w/ a golden glow.

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Can't keep a secret, can ya?