Amazing off road experience | FerrariChat

Amazing off road experience

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Scotty, Feb 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have a 4 door Wrangler, and have done some soft off roading. My wife and I wanted to learn more. I had business in Phoenix, and we decided to go a couple of days early and check out Sedona. While there, we took a one day off road driving course at the Sedona Jeep School. Very little classroom, mostly driving and discussing things out on the trail. Worked very well for my wife and I to split the driving.

This was an INCREDIBLE experience. Having not done any hard core off roading, I was blown away by what a mostly stock Jeep could do. We learned tons, and had a great day. The topper was going down the staircase on the Broken Arrow trail. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Sedona? You didn't go to the Pink Jeep Tours?

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    This wasn't a tour, it was a driving school.

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Oh, I know about the driving school up there, I was asking if you went on the tour. I'm guessing you did not and just did the driving school.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Sorry--didn't understand your message correctly. Did not do the Pink Jeep tour (the class took us on several of the routes the tour uses, so we were able to appreciate some of the same views). Also spent two days hiking--Sedona (at least outside of the town) is a beautiful place.

6. JoeyM

JoeyM Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    RI
    Full Name:
    Joey M
    #6 JoeyM, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    *edit*

just found website. looks really interesting. thanks for the review.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    School is 1/2 day or full day. You can use your own Jeep (or other capable 4x4, I assume) or you can rent a jeep from them. We did a full day, and rented one of their Jeeps. Total cost (including gas, taxes, etc.) was just a tick over $700. The rental is the biggest part of that. While (at least to me) that sounds incredibly expensive, it was also totally worth it. And given the wear and tear on the vehicles (that you are not responsible for) I guess the rental price is appropriate.

8. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

Scotty!! How long are you in town? I'm a Jeep guy and we take frequent off road runs around here. You really should go with us sometime.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Already back in the Pacific Northwest. But, I will definitely post up the next time I am headed down, and perhaps we could hook up.

Scott

10. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I look forward to it! I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. You wouldn't believe all the trails around Phoenix :)

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I got into "jeepin'" this past spring (April 2008). After going to a Scottsdale, AZ, "Cars & Coffee" and drooling over a blue Ferrari 550, I got back to Minnesota and had the need to buy something. After looking at Ferrari prices, I thought a Jeep Wrangler would be a different sort of "fun toy" and much cheaper, so I bought that instead, and told myself I saved a lot of money by not buying the Ferrari.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying a Wrangler Sport (not the Rubicon edition) and after getting stuck everytime I took it offroad, I sold it and bought another one, only this time, the Rubicon edition. I just got done putting a 3 inch lift kit in it and have also purchased new Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's in 33X12.50R15. I mounted these on Mickey Thompson Classic II rims. Jeep looks great.

It's definately not a Ferrari, but I have had a blast going up, over, and thru things I never imagined a vehicle would go thru. We do most of our "wheelin" in the offroad park in Gilbert, MN.

We plan on heading to Moab in September of 2009. I can't wait.

Someone mentioned trails around Phoenix. Just curious, but would a "rental" Wrangler in stock form be able to tackle those? Where are they? I'm planning on coming down to Phoenix/Scottsdale for the "Cars & Coffee" in March.

Mike

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Mike--the place in Sedona rents lifted Rubicons--they can definitely tackle anything in the area. The folks there are super nice, and if no one else chimes in with thoughts you might be able to contact them about a rental place in Phoenix.

13. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

You have to post pictures of this Jeep!! Also you didn't need to buy a Rubicon to address your problems :) That is neither here nor there I guess now though. U gotta winch? High lift jack? I know the Rubi's come with lockers, which is nice. What kind of lift did you get? With 33's and a 3" lift you should be able to do most of the trails in the area. A stock "rental" on the other had is going to be kinda limited. Like Scotty said renting a lifted Jeep might be the best idea. I'm not sure if there are any places in Phoenix to do this but I'll look. Sedona isn't that far but if your limited on mileage you might be better off renting in town. Also there are a TON of trails around here for everything from a stock no lift wrangler with street tires to full blown rock crawlers. When you come out if you want a "tour guide" let me know. I won't charge anything, but would be more than happy to show you around some places. Also guys I know do more serious wheelin than I do as they have more capable rigs, so if your interested in that I can set you up with a run.

Congrats on the Rubi BTW!!! Fantastic purchase :D The whole Jeep culture is amazing.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    What he said.

During our class, our instructor was careful to point out everywhere we could take our Jeep (a stock 4 door Sahara) versus the lifted Rubicon we were in. I should also point out that we always took the tough line (not the "chicken" line, as she called it). While there were a few places where the 2.5" lift was important, we never used the lockers, and really only disconnected the swaybar for more comfort. So the lift is the thing (for what we did, anyway). If I was going to mod our Jeep the first thing I would do would be swaybar disconnects and a mild lift.

15. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah that is another thing, there are a lot of "tough" trails out here that have bypasses for the hard stuff, so you can technically get through the trail without bashing up your rig :)

Oh, buy the Wells book "Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Invaluable research tool. Another thing, it's really smart to have some kinda GPS if your gonna be traipsing around the desert. Don't want anyone getting lost out there :D

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

The lift kit was from DPG offroad. I bought the "ultimate" kit.

http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMETJkits.htm

No winch. No high lift jack. I always "wheel" with other guys, so can't see spending the money. A winch would probably be worth it though.

I have the Wells book on both Moab, Utah, and Southern Colorado. I never thought I'd wheel in Arizona. I should check that out.

Mike

17. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    #17 djui5, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks for posting them. I need to figure out how to do that.

Mike

19. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    You gotta click "post reply" at the bottom of the thread, or multi-quote a couple posts. Then under the thread box where you type you'll see "additional options". Below that is a "manage attachments" button. Click it and a window pops up where you can browse and upload pics from your computer. You can only do 4 at a time, but after they are uploaded you can do 4 more before finishing the post. When your done just close that pop up window and click "submit reply".

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My craziest offroading experience was in a stock Grand Cherokee doing Lions Back in Moab, insanity!

21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

You've got bigger "stones" that I have to hit Lion's Back. I think that is now closed, because it's on private property.

Mike

22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Holy wheel articulation!

Where are those photos from?

23. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    I've seen my brother's Toyota Land Cruiser do crazy stuff like that, quite impressive!

24. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    We were up North of Phoenix. A Jeep forum I am a member of holds a "wheelin 101, 202, and 303" class every year. I was in the 101 class. The bigger rigs are the spotters rigs. Some of these guys have insane setups. Lots of buggys there too. It was a blast. I forgot my CF card for my camera or I'd have a ton of great pictures. I can post some more if anyone wants. BTW, I didn't take any of these so the copyrights go to their respective owners.