Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > General Automotive Discussion

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: T.A. Bell
The Adams Probe 16/Durango 95 - A Clockwork Orange movie car... where is it now?

Made in 1969 by the Adams Brothers, the Probe 16 was a outrageously styled car, of which only 3 were made.

23254D8F845F19DC4C1973AD7715.jpg

probe16broch.jpg

It was known in Stanley Kubrick's 1971 film A Clockwork Orange as the Durango 95, the vehicle that carried our anti-hero Alex and his Droogs into the night to play "hogs of the road", finally taking them to the novelist's house and the famous Singin' In The Rain scene.

444.jpg

The car then drifted into obscurity for all but a few anorak petrolheads. It would reappear in 2004 as one of the voting choices in Top Gear's segment Restoration Rip Off. It was joined by a Chrysler once owned by Keith Moon, the Queen's Land Rover, a Lotus 10 ordered by (but never delivered to) James Dean and Paddy Hopkirk's first racing Mini Cooper, which eventually won the voting.

Click to watch the Top Gear segment on the Probe 16

As any Top Gear fan knows, the Probe 16 wasn't chosen for restoration, and even if it had been we'd never have seen it, we never did get to see the results of the restoration of the Hopkirk Mini.

So where is the Probe 16 from A Clockwork Orange now? Has it been restored, or does it remain in that English lockup, rotting away still?

868.jpg
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

i tought these should have one the TG voting, it is crazy and exclusive.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Where is the clockwork orange car

It is 99% restored alive and well. I'll post a pic if I knew how!!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola9090 View Post
It is 99% restored alive and well. I'll post a pic if I knew how!!

To embed pictures in a post you have to use the "Manage Attachments" function in the "Additional Options" window below the text window when you reply.

attach.jpg

Click "Manage Attachments" and the manager pops up.

manager.JPG

Click the top "Browse" button, and use the "File Upload" window that pops up to tell the manager where the picture you want to attach is on your computer. I've chosen a nice Countach, pic #004_4.

navigate.jpg

Once you have chosen the pic, click "Open". The "File Upload" window disappears. Return to the manager window and repeat for any other photos you wish to add, up to 4. Then click "upload". Wait for the "current attachments" section of the manager to appear with the name of the uploaded picture inside it.

uploaded.JPG

Your picture is now uploaded. You can close the attachment manager, complete the text of your post and "Submit Reply". You photo will appear at the bottom of your post, below any text you have written.

POST.JPG

Unsubscibed members are limited in the amount of attachments they can add to posts, Subscribed members are unlimited.

I can't wait to see the photos of the Probe!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

As it is after its restoration although to finish it off I need to lower the suspension, black the sill and a few other things and it will be perfect. Awesome car and 41 years old!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1085.JPG (280.6 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1084.jpg (71.7 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1092.JPG (246.6 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1091.jpg (79.0 KB, 522 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

WOW! Nice work! What a car! Makes me very happy that it was saved and restored! Thanks for posting these!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: dave
too bad alex hasn't aged as well.......
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 AM
F1 World Champ
Global Moderator

Full Name: Mike Seals
My Garage
Wow.... so, how did you end up with one of three cars made?

And, any idea where the other two are?

Mike
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseals View Post
Wow.... so, how did you end up with one of three cars made?

And, any idea where the other two are?

Mike
The first one is unknown today, possibly burned and destroyed. The second car is in a private collection in Ottawa, Canada. This is the third Probe 16 and the most famous, being the A Clockwork Orange movie car.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Clockwork Orange Car

The other two cars are now being restored. One lived in California and in a sorry state, the other in Canada. Both are being restored together in Canada I believe. I'm now restoring my Probe 2001.........
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola9090 View Post
The other two cars are now being restored. One lived in California and in a sorry state, the other in Canada. Both are being restored together in Canada I believe. I'm now restoring my Probe 2001.........
So the rumors were true and Probe #1 (AB2) still exists... nice! I'd love to see pics of your Probe 2001!

Last edited by ApexOversteer; 10-06-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Vasco
http://www.karamfamily.ca/1970-adams-probe-16.html
The one in Ottawa?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9809490_orig.jpg (38.4 KB, 425 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Actually, the other 2 are here in Ottawa, I was there last fall, one car in storage (as stated in poor shape- but since the other is so close it would be easy to replicate any part) and the other is in a collection. I was it unfortunalely it was parked close to the wall and too boxed-in to examine it properly. The celan one is in very ggod shape, would not need a restoration, a simple refresh would do.

You guys realise these were powered by a rear mounted small 4 cylinder motor, you get in the car by stepping over the side glass, in through the sunroof, lie on your back with the steering column between your legs like a go-kart and runs on 13 or 14inch wheels I am not quite sure why they are (if they are) considered production cars or kit cars ??

Last edited by DenisC; 10-07-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisC View Post
Actually, the other 2 are here in Ottawa, I was there last fall, one car in storage (as stated in poor shape- but since the other is so close it would be easy to replicate any part) and the other is in a collection. I was it unfortunalely it was parked close to the wall and too boxed-in to examine it properly. The celan one is in very ggod shape, would not need a restoration, a simple refresh would do.

You guys realise these were powered by a rear mounted small 4 cylinder motor, you get in the car by stepping over the side glass, in through the sunroof, lie on your back with the steering column between your legs like a go-kart and runs on 13 or 14inch wheels I am not quite sure why they are (if they are) considered production cars or kit cars ??
Austin 1800cc straight fours indeed. I love how you have to climb over the side and the roof slides into place over you, like a fighter jet canopy. It's about the only car in 1969 that could out "wow" a Miura at a stop light. They are the ultimate expression of that 60's sci-fi sub-genre of the mod culture. If David Bowie's Space Oddity was a car, it would be a Probe 16.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Funny you should say that as the guy who owned my car before it was sold to Pollock in the US was a genuine playboy in London and he owned a Miura as well. He found he had more luck picking up the girls with the Probe than the Lambo.

He had enough of the Probe when the rear wheel came off yet again as the design of the rims put too much force through the Imp stub axle which tended to snap. This time he swiped a lamp post!!

Peter Adams fitted a Triumph 1500 stub axle instead which cured the problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Don Nelson
Probe

I think that you will find that there were more than 3 of these cars made.
I remember at least 2 of them being for sale at one time in England. One in my old home town.
It was also offered as a kit, after sales of the built car didn't come up to expectation.
Don
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: PDG
My Garage
Wow, what a fascinating car. I had no idea!!!

And to find the owner is a member here too!!! This is just too much!!! Thanks for being here among us Lola9090!!!!

PDG
Old 10-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Talking Adams Probe Series

For comprehensive information on the Adams Probe series, including the Probe 15, Probe 16 and Probe 2001 see www.probe2001.com. The site includes details and photos of all known cars as well as simiar iformation on the Concept Centaur , a probe derivative
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JS speed show brochure 3.jpg (56.3 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg JFB 222H at Marcos factory ( Klaus 1971 (3)).jpg (63.4 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg at 1969 Racing Car Show.jpg (63.5 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 1977.jpg (31.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Daniel
It looks like a '60s Le Mans racer from the back. Very cool looking car.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mr. Francesco
Nice to see that they are still alive and restored (or being restored).