Speedster Replica | FerrariChat

Speedster Replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Michael B, Oct 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 Michael B, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    beautiful car, wow.

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Wow indeed.

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey thanks. No money either. I can park it at the curb or toss the keys to friends without ever thinking twice. Try that with a vintage Porsche or Ferrari. Kinda fun.

5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nice buy! I was looking at that same car... congrats.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Which builder was it?

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It says "Porsche".

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 Michael B, Oct 9, 2010
    Its a "Vintage" "Porsche" "replica" from www.vintagespeedsters.com

Oh & don't fret Bullfighter. I am not trying to fool anyone. I had a 1963 356B 1600S coupe not long ago and have been a PCA member for 30 years. This is just a 4 wheeled motorcycle for me (that will be parked next to four of my real Porsches) and I will adorn it with a license tag reading - 2 FAUX - just for you.

There are about 2500 of them roaming the states, and one other in my region that I know of. Once I drove it I was sold. Here is the culprit that sealed it after driving it & reading the 550 replica stuff here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would yank the Porsche badges. To some people, they suggest that it is a Porsche.

I would stick with a 356B coupe. Those are now bringing very good money for a solid Super coupe.

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have no problem with that. Duly noted.

Yes I have seen recent prices on good coupes but I try not to look back often on decisions of the past. Whats the use. I wanted another 911 turbo at the time so I sold the 1963 (for a 150% profit mind you - and btw it was/is my favorite Porsche to date that I have owned) and got a 1991 Turbo next (quite a change 'eh?).

Nowadays when I consider another 356 I remember all the horrible ones that I have dealt with. It would be too easy to assume that I would have a good experience again so I am too careful to through caution into the wind and purchase another at today's prices. But when your talking replica money... A trip to Vegas can be more expensive than it (I bought this car right) and you don't get to drive Vegas. :) Plus I am a consummate car guy, and this is a car for a guy who likes to have fun ones (all kinds) that he can drive anytime, anywhere. No excuses needed.

11. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    #11 Buggin, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Nice find.

Pricing a replica over an original is fun. You can pick up a project for 10K or so, if you like to do the work.
    I have found decent (needed some love) running ones for closer to 15, which is still not bad.

Now you have a speedster that you can put a big motor in. Drop in a 2180 and go surprise some vettes.

The glass bodies are rather easy to fix after they get smashed by some soccer mom in a SUV.
    Granted, I prefer to work in metal, but mending 40+ year old metal is always time consuming.

12. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Vintage makes some nice cars, I'd agree with Bullfighter and not put a porsche badge on it...besides everyone knows what it's supposed to be anyway, so everyone wins.

If you buy another 356, look into the C or SC, they are really sweet cars to drive (disk brakes and all the upgrades to the engine etc). My SC is great fun, just wish a long-ago PO didn't paint it black.

One thing, where does Vintage source their speedster seats? I think they'd look/work great in my car...seeing as it's not all original.

13. LarryB4134

LarryB4134 Rookie

Oct 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Larry Bowling
    #13 LarryB4134, Oct 14, 2010
    Not to hijack this thread, But I thought this might be pertinent to the conversation

Porsche 911 Speedster to Debut at Paris Motor Show
    Only fourth model in Porsche history to bear the Speedster name

ATLANTA - September 21, 2010 - Paying homage to the first Porsche model to bear the Speedster name - the 356 Speedster - Porsche has announced that a new 911 Speedster will make its debut at the Paris Motor Show in early October. Significantly different from other members of the 911 family, this two-seat roadster features a 2.36" (60 millimeter) lower, more raked windscreen and the characteristic speedster double-bubble hardcover for the manual soft top. Helping to define the striking profile of the new 2011 911 Speedster, the 1.73" (44 millimeter) wide-body from the AWD 911 models makes the rear-wheel-drive only Speedster stand out even more. The production run of this special car will be limited to 356 units worldwide, with approximately 100 heading to the U.S.

Fourth Edition of a Sports Car Legend

The new 911 speedster combines the classic features of the now well-known Speedster series with improved performance over the current 911 generation: The 3.8-liter flat six engine delivers 408 horsepower (hp), 23 hp more in comparison with the 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, yet is EPA rated the same at 19 mpg city / 27 mpg highway. The 2011 Speedster reaches 0-60 MPH in 4.2 seconds with Sport Chrono Plus and has a top-track speed of 190 mph (305 km/h) - all courtesy of Porsche Intelligent Performance.

The seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) transmission transmits power to the rear axle with a limited-slip differential lock, also included as standard equipment. A six-speed manual transmission is not available. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) are standard, too. Add to that exemplary protection for driver and passengers in the new 911 Speedster as Porsche engineers improved the rollover protection system which is standard in all open-top Porsche cars.

Original Speedster - Created Especially for the U.S.

In 1953, the Speedster series was launched as purist sports car based on the Porsche 356.

New York Porsche importer Max Hoffman envisioned a lightweight 356 cabriolet that would look and perform in America like no other sports car. The car Porsche created had two sports bucket seats, doors with slide-in plastic windows and a shortened, elegantly curved windscreen and proved to be quite popular, especially in southern California.

In 1988, the second Speedster, this time based on the 911 Carrera, celebrated its revival with an added feature: the characteristic double bubbles. In 1993/1994, the next evolutionary stage of the 911 Carrera was ushered in with the third Speedster edition.

The conception of the current Speedster comes from Porsche Exclusive - the department specializing in individualization of all Porsche cars and limited production models like the 911 Speedster. The 2011 Speedster heralds the 25th anniversary of Porsche Exclusive which will be celebrated in 2011, and once again, demonstrates the small-series competence of Porsche Exclusive after the European success of the 2010 911 Sport Classic. Living up to the Porsche Exclusive standard, the 911 Speedster features almost all optional equipment of the 911 series and its appeal also comes from its meticulously hand-finished interior in black smooth-finish leather with numerous exterior color painted details exclusive to the Speedster. These include decorative designs with checkerboard patterns in the seat center-section of the adaptive sports seats suggestive of a checkered flag, and the leather side bolsters in the exterior color.

The sporty flavor is further enhanced by the exterior color "Pure Blue" which has been developed exclusively for the Speedster, providing an intriguing contrast with the tinted front lights, black headlight rings, black windscreen surround and other black decorative designs. Upon request, the Speedster is available in Carrara White, at no extra cost. It also features a special front apron, specific sideskirts and a distinct rear apron.

In the U.S., the 911 Carrera Speedster will be available beginning in early 2011, MSRP will be $204,000.

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah I really like the seats. And they sell them direct on their site. I tell you what... Let me sit in them, and try them out & give you a report back. If they are awful I don't want to recommend them. But if they are nice (hope) then I will give you the go.

Car should be here soon.

15. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Sounds good to me, keep me posted. The factory speedster seats are insane money, so these may be the ticket for a 2nd set.

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 Michael B, Oct 18, 2010
    Nice selling lady missed the 1st transporter (got the 2nd one tho') so just a minor delay - but its coming.

Here is a another photo to hold me over though.

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That must have taken some doing to get a 1956 California tag on it. Technically illegal out here if the car wasn't built prior to 1962, IIRC.

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yup, it took some doing.

Hey! I took the Porsche badge off that photo just for you and you did not even say thanks!

19. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yikes! Baby got back.

20. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No excuses needed, indeed. Good fun for a few bucks, whats not to like? I wouldn't even worry about the dumb badge. Especially considering some of the bulbous behemoths that have a Porsche badge slapped on them right at the factory.

On the other hand, "We don't need no stinking badges"

21. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What fun!

You MUST post impressions!

22. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well said!

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I should have it tomorrow. I will clean it up & giver 'er a go over the weekend for sure.

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 Michael B, Oct 22, 2010
    Got it off the truck at about 10:30 PM (55 degrees). Drove it home (15 miles) and can tell you its so-far-so good. Quick, sounds neat, handles and looks cool. Better than expected in all ways. I am headed to a 24 hour endurance race for the weekend but I will give more impressions shortly.

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #24 Michael B, Oct 24, 2010
    Okay, impressions.

I put 250 miles on it today driving to a racetrack & back that is about two hours from my residence. The seats... Well that are just not comfortable after 250 miles my friends. At about 50 miles I thought... Hmmmm, is there a better seating position? There is not. :)

But... My Son (13) said EVERY person who we passed, or passed us during the commute had a smile. This car was making people happy all day. At the racetrack I would say that 100 people stopped to get photographs. Here attached is just one example of a passer-by:

No one had anything but kind things to say. I let them all know it was a replica - and they all told me they wanted one too.

So, I pointed it back home and it started to pour. I drove it between 70-80MPH all the way home and never thought twice (try that in a real one). Its all good I think. :)

25. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Michael, Was wondering since this post began do you still have the 356, enjoy driving it? Anything you would change or upgrade/modify if looking for a new one today? Giving it some serious thought for an inexpensive fun, really cool car. Not looking to pass it off as an original, just have a fun project car thats a driver. Would appreciate your as well as anyone elses feedback on these cars.
    Nd