BMW 335 diesel no longer being made - BUY ONE before they're gone! | FerrariChat

BMW 335 diesel no longer being made - BUY ONE before they're gone!

Discussion in 'Other German' started by lencap, Feb 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I bought a BMW 335d last spring - it's my wife's daily driver. The car is truly a great vehicle, especially for those of us who like torque! 425 pounds of it starting at 1200 RPMs, from a twin screw turbo that also provides 266 HP (that's quite a bit for a passenger car powered by a diesel engine).

There are some left on the BMW lots and there is incentive money to sell them quickly. If you are in the market for a fun car, give it a look. When they're gone, they're gone.

Motor Trend editor in chief Angus MacKenzie did a very nice video review. Find the four minute review here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQq_ILlZww[/ame]

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Does this also mean that they are getting rid of the X5 variant of the diesel?

3. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    No, just the 335d is discontinued. BMW states that they will reintroduce a diesel in the future - most likely a turbo 4 cylinder engine. I'm sure it will be fine, but no one builds a straight six like BMW.

4. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Reviving an old thread here.

I purchased a new 2011 335d a few years ago. After 18k miles I had so much carbon build up that the intake manifold had to be replaced. At 24k miles, the catalytic converter also had to be replaced, at 28k miles the DEF tank also had to go (around an 8k job). The 335d is an awesome car, but the emissions systems makes it very unreliable. I recently drove my car to BPC in Raleigh, NC and had the guys there perform an dpf, egr, scr delete and tune the car. I've driven teh car about 4k miles since work was performed and it has been operating flawlessly, not to mention I now have 350 hp (stock 260) and 540 ft lb (stock 416 ) torque!

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Did you drive it enough on a daily and yearly basis ?

6. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    About 8k miles a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #7 ypsilon, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    That's not a lot for a diesel and might be the cause of your troubles.

The DPF needs enough miles, heat and a minimum speed to do it's work properly. Otherwise unburned diesel and soot will wreck the cat for instance.

For any diesel when on temperature it's adviced to ocasionally really step on it to get enough heat in the exhaust and cat to get rid of the soot.

Plus Google tells me a 335d has an egr as well, which combined with the above might've caused the carbon buildup in the intake manifold. Recycled, not properly burned soot.