Just returned: Italian Car Holiday | FerrariChat

Just returned: Italian Car Holiday

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ROCisIN, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    First post- Greetings all!

Just returned from a fantastic "car week" in the heart of Italy, the greater Modena area. My weekend started with the German GP at Hockenheim (I currently live the Heidelberg). Then drove down to Lucerne on Monday and spent one evening. Drove to Modena Tuesday morning and relaxed the rest of the afternoon. We stayed at a B&B called Podere Prasiano just outside Modena. It was a beautifully renovated farm house, and the owner made us feel more like family than just guests. The meals were all fresh prepared and delicious.

Wednesday started with a trip to the Ferrari Museum, then coach tour through the factory and Fiorano test track (where we caught a glimpse of Alonso and Massa coming out of the Scuderia building). Unfortunately, we were not able to take pictures or get out of the coach... Then, lunch at Cavallino Restaurant across the street from the factory. Then onto Warm-Up (next to the Museum) for my 90 minute 458 Italia drive, 60 minutes on road, 30 minutes on track with former 355/430 Challenge Champion Instructor.

Thursday started with a tour of Museo Enzo Ferrari, beautiful new building! Then went to a private tour of Museo Stanguellini. The tour was run by a mechanic that has worked for the racing family for 50 years. Beautiful collection of vehicles and the Automobilia collection was unbelievable.

Friday was a private tour of Pagani Factory (which is more like a shop). It's nice to see there are still skilled craftsmen hand building vehicles. Every nut/bolt has Pagani inscribed into them. All carbon panels are made in house. They currently have 40 outstanding orders, which is twice the amount they are used to. Thus, they are moving to a larger facility soon. At the end of the tour, I met Mr. Pagani, shook his hand, and took a picture with him in the showroom. He also signed a 1/43 limited edition model I purchased in the lobby, very exciting!

I will certainly return for a visit soon. I have never met so many people that are absolutely passionate and proud of their heritage and accomplishments. As well as friendly and accommodating. Viva Italia!

2. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    Wow... Tough crowd. So not even one comment for the newbie? Thought it would be a nice share among other enthusiasts.

Anyway, I am currently in the market for a 550M or 355 GTB 6spd., please send PM.

Thanks!

Roc

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I was just there as well. Did you get the Owner's tour of the factory?

4. LINDW4LL

LINDW4LL Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    WI <--> NC
    Full Name:
    Hayden
    Sounds like an awesome trip!! As cool as the Ferrari factory is, I've heard awesome things about the Pagani tour. Definitely something I'd like to do in the future. Good luck with your search!!

5. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    Unfortunately no, guided tour through factory in a coach bus. Owners tour is on my wish list.

Pagani was absolutely amazing! Apparently it's quite rare Mr. Pagani is there in person, we lucked out meeting him.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #6 jm2, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have to say that the Pagani "factory" is indeed unbelievable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #8 Gran Drewismo, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    I was there back in May. Did pretty much the same tour you did: Ferrari and Enzo Ferrari Museums, Lamborghini Factory and Museum, and Pagani.

Didn't get to see Mr. Pagani, but did see and talk briefly with Valentino Balboni. We actually met him earlier in the day at the Lamborghini Museum. He came by with a customer who was going to order his new Huayra.

Saw some great Paganis: Huayra 006 and 007 being built, Zonda R, Tricolore, the Zonda R Evo, a customer and his Huayra who just drove in, and Lewis Hamilton's 760 LH, the first time it hit the road. My friends pictures:

http://jalopnik.com/5911558/is-this-lewis-hamiltons-new-zonda

All said, Pagani was amazing, but I liked Lamborghini the best.

How was the drive at Warm-Up? We saw the rental places around the museum and their pretty (but pushy) girls in the museum parking lot. Prices seemed a bit absurd, I think one was 80 Euro for 10 minutes of driving?

8. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    Drive at Warm-Up was good. Wish I could have had more track time. Was stuck in traffic a lot on the streets. Cost for my 90 minutes was 850 Euro for the 458, so yeah, a little pricy. Included in car DVD of your experience.