Swapping the motor in an exotic. | FerrariChat

Swapping the motor in an exotic.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by VF1Skullangel, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ok guys I've been thinking about buying a Lamborghini Diablo or a Countach project car preferably one thats in great condition but with a blown motor with intent of swapping the engine out for something else like oh say an LS1 or a Dodge Viper V-10 with a Porsche or ZF Trans. and ore recently a pre 75 Pantera because of the California smog check.

I've seen this done already a couple of times with guys swapping in a Vette engine into a Lamborghini Diablo, a Ferrari 348 and even a 308.

I suppose its better than hacking up a Fiero and trying to turn it into a an exotic right? The paperwork will still state its an original. The only thing thats not going to be original is the engine.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just buy a vette.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Pretty poor idea.

4. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    Yeah. Bad idea. That's almost worse than making a non-exotic up to look like one.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Totally unbelievable; need supporting documention.

Besides, guys who do things like this either have more cents than sense or they just want people to look at them and say "wt*".

Like two year olds... any attention is still attention.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Depends on what you want to do with the car?

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Why not find a tired Pantera and restore it. When you are done you would have something that was real and would be worth a lot more than an exotic with Chevy motor..

Or you could find an old 240Z ans swap in an LS motor, it would weigh less than when Datsun built it, and it would be scary fast... Same thing with an the last gen RX-7's, an injection of Vitamin T makes that an awesome car... Not exactly an exotic, but a lot more fun.

8. VF1Skullangel

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I don't want a Corvette. There's to many of those on the road. + I'm not a big V8 guy.

I don't think people understand when I say I want an exotic. I could have built plenty of fast cars but I just want a nice exotic without the huge headaches they come with. That's why I'm wondering about buying a Diablo or Countach from Copart and swapping in a create engine.

9. VF1Skullangel

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Why? Please explain, this is a value issue or a paper work issue?

I never intend to resell the car nor I wouldn't care about making money on it.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Engine swaps are the very definition of headache. No part of it is "standard" or can be considered "easy". A lot of parts need to be custom made and there is no one source for repair parts. Only the builder knows which thing came from what source.

11. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    It's not so much a paperwork or value issue because anyone potentially looking to buy it somewhere down the road is going to be able to tell a size difference in the engine, the fact that it would be at least 2 cylinders less than a stock Lamborghini, and the performance difference (unless you went with a Viper V10, then you'd have a size issue). I can see what you are trying to do, but it's really quite similar to people taking a Fiero and fashioning it into looking like a Diablo or a Ferrari 308 or whatever. Diablo with a Corvette engine and a Ferrari look-alike with a GM engine. It's your call man. It's your car and you can do whatever you want with it. Seriously think about it though. What Tim said is right. You are going to go through so much headache just to get the engine to fit into the car. Just my 2 cents.

12. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    I think that is not a bad idea mabe taking a viper motor or the newer chev 427 and putting it in a way cool exotic mabe with a nice 6 speed. Same or more hp, more reliable, cheaper for parts and lots of parts. The hard part is getting it in. I am following a build on another fourm where a guy is putting a chev 350 in a newer porsche. I bet the car will be a blast to drive when it is finished. I understand it will not have the right note but with the right pipes it will sound pretty good.

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Go with that "create" engine and you'll be ok! Why the hell would anyone buy a REAL Lambo just to put a Chevy motor into it?

Crack is whack.

14. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    What type of engines do you want to use to swap, if you don't really like V8's?

15. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I think you are underestimating the amount of work and expense involved.

I suspect that you really want a Pantera.

16. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Pantera sounds like the right call to me as well.

However, there are other options to consider like the Lotus/Caterham 7, and the Ariel Atom (not the V8 version though). These could probably be bought for less than a trashed Diablo or Countach and STILL get plenty of looks and draw lots of questions without bastardizing another car into something its not.

Just my .02

PDG

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They don't understand because an exotic without an exotic engine isn't an exotic anymore. Build a GTM if you want an ls mid engined car or buy a viper if you want the v10. A lambo with an engine swap is akin to the tin man before he got his heart driven by the scarecrow before he got his brain.

18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Meh. Did that 25 years ago, while a hoot, it loses it's "Z-ness". I can build a "junkyard" Z by mixing / matching different L2x parts and have a sub 14-second car, normally aspirated. Heck, I could throw a L28ET (turbo ZX motor) in a Z car and it could do sub-12s with boost / intercooler, etc. Much more fun.

To the OP - woudn't do the Lambo route, but beat up Esprits would fit the bill nicely. Personally, I never thought the Esprit 4-banger was "exotic"...cool, yes, but not exotic and crazy expensive to rebuild. Why not swap that out for a Northstar or SHO engine...been done and it's pretty neat.

JMHO.

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I LOVE these threads, like you can go to the engine store and get the "plug and play" kit and it will be so much more relaible than stock.

Now if it has been done and is tried and true, that is one thing - I've seen some great V8 Miatas, LS1 3rd Gen RX-7s, and Jags with later model powerplants.

But a late model engine of any kind in an older exotic has some elements of Titanic and iceberg - the tip of the icepberg:

How do you plan to bolt the engine in the vehicle:
    How do you plan to get power to the drive wheels (such as transaxle and drive shaft san shift linkage)
    How do you plan to handle all of the plumbing (oil, fule, water, air, and exhaust)?
    How do you plan to handle the wiring harness and computer?
    How do you plan to make all the gauges and tach, speedo work?

I can easily see $10,000 in labor to do it anywhere close to right if you really reliably and cleanly, and quite likely more if the fabrication, wiring, and troubleshooting gets complicated.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but unless you have actual, hands-on experience with an engine swap, you better have a $25K+ budget, and it could get to double that.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Definitely - it's not a trivial task or everyone would do it. It certainly discouraged me enough. We did a 280Z / V8 swap for a friend about 25 years ago - with a kit...and it was harder than we planned.

Comparing a 280Z of 1977 vintage (e.g., no high tech electronics, less safety equipment, huge engine bay) to a 1990's or later exotic is apples to oranges.

But if you are enterprising enough, can be done...but agree it's hella work.

21. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #21 toggie, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. 95lambo1

95lambo1 Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    I see this is years later to reply but thought it would be useful for those wanting to know. I owned an all original 95 diablo for a breif period but it alway made me nervous driving it hoping nothing would break. Yes, one could afford a car like this but perhaps not the maintenence or possible bigger issues if any part of the drivetrain were to go belly up.

I found another 95 diablo that was a fire car without the drivetrain and put a built LS3 with a proshe G-50 transaxle. I spent approximately 24K in the new drivetrain but saved by doing the install myself. The cars runs like a rapped ape sounds, is lighter has shorter gearing for in town but added taler 4th ande 5th gear for higher speeds. I can probably double the original MPG from 14 to 28 highway. THe greatest thig is I don't have to worry anymore about something breaking and I can get most important parts for years to come. I like not having to worry about 10-12K worth of ECU's either.

If you do a swap do it right, make sure the car will move down the road just as fast if not faster then the V12. You can always add turbo's or SC as well. If you want to possibly make money on investing in a lambo by all original and sit on it. If you just want to have fun and not worry about expense do a swap. If I was very wealthy I would but an all original, drive the whells off it, if the motor were to go then I would do a swap. hope this helps.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, yes.

Bingo. And also listen to this guy:

“I don't sell cars; I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engines in.” - Enzo Ferrari.

24. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #24 hyenahf, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    There are at least a half dozen 308s with 348 or 355 motors in them. Ive. personally seen one in the flesh in a ferrari shop. Fortunately nobody needs to document anything for you

Lots of haters out there responding to the OP

Was out at singer's this summer... Everyone favorite car was the original white one which was based off a G bod not a 64 with a newer motor. This is such a bad idea that rob can't build these things fast enough at 400k+ a pop.

25. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    So a Pantera Mangusta Vallelunga ISO bizzarini Merak BMW M1 aren't exotics? but personally I can't s why anyone wanting to butchering a CT