Delorean any experiance?? | FerrariChat

Delorean any experiance??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ferrari#7, Jul 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Anyone here have a Delorean? Thoughts?

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Never an owner or driver, but have been a passenger 3 or 4 times.

One of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Reliable with a renualt engine. Handles poorly with no power. Good looking car, hard to say if it will be desirable, maybe already is. In the day was not considered a sucessful car.

There was and maybe still is a guy in texas (?) who has all of the parts. You can google to find out. He was a Mechanic so he knows the cars intimately.

He was working on a engine upgrade for more hp. No idea if he finished

Best

Lee

4. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They have volvo engines and renault transmissions.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The PRV V6 was a joint venture by Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo.

6. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 Smyrna355Spider, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    ;p;\\\
    Since we have made it the priority to be exactly correct. Originally in the Volvo 264.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRV_engine

Machinery for assembling the engines arrived at Douvrin in early June 1973, and buildings for producing the engines were finished in January 1974. The first PRV engines were officially introduced on 3 October 1974 in the Volvo 264.

Adoption was swift, and the PRV V6 had been sold in at least five different models by the end of 1975.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My freind who has one told me it was Renault. Not sure myself. I did look it up. The first car was actually a Citroen engine. The production engine was called aPRV. Which acording to the web site I just looked at is Renault-Volvo- Pugeo design, whatever that means :)

My freind says it is a unique car just not a sports car. I think it was made of Stainless steel. I think they are great looking.

Best

Lee

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is why it used that PRV moniker. Any idea why they would do this? I think that arrangement would be more confusing than just doing it yourself , maybe with a engine design consultant.

Just curious :)

Best
    Lee

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Money... all three helped pay for the development costs of the engine. Used by all three mfg's.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Drive one.

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #12 texasmr2, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Could be the guy who owns and runs DeLorean Motor Company | The Best Source for your DeLorean .

If it is who I think it is I used to party/club with his daughter back in the '90s.

12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd take issue with two things said above.

For reliability, perhaps it is an issue of keeping up on maintenance, but I've never heard an owner extoll the virtues of the engine's reliability.

As to handling - it may not be a go kart, but from the rides I've had, the Delorean holds its own OK against most any contemporaries.

Maybe a decade or so back I looked at quite a few. The thought at the time was that any decent DMC 12 is or will be a $20 to $25k car if/when it is properly sorted. I wonder what the dollar range for a good condition example is now?

13. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    How about an electric one.....intriguing, especially with the reverse generation feature:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6Lz-s9SE8[/ame]

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd bet electric torque could be a whole lot of fun. Another interesting option?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8d48RYgBo]Delorean 20b - YouTube[/ame]

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The car was very slow and stiff even in the day. it was a disappointment because it was expected to perform like the other cars he designed like the GTO. It may hold its own as you say but not against muscle cars of that era. That is why it was not sucessful. Some collectors may want one just to have it in the bunch. There are so many other cars people would want from that era that are more fun to drive.

This may be unfair because it was never designed to be a performance car, just a car. If you look at it that way it is okay. Nice looking tho and stainless steel is neat. I do hear they are rusting out in the chasis now. They were a cheap add to a car collection and maybe still are.

I never said it was not reliable, in fact I said it was. I do expect it was not as good as American cars of that era but not horrible.

I am moving away from clasic cars and moving towards new super or sport cars. I still like my 65 Vette, a beautiful car and fun to drive.

Enjoy your car. As Leno says " buy the car you like. If it goes up in value, great. If it does not you still have a car you like" Makes sense to me.

Best,
    Lee

16. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I owned one for a while, it was my daily. Its simultaneously terrible and wonderful:

The short list bad:
    (1) Terrible performance on all dimensions - handling, braking, acceleration
    (2) I'm 6'3" and hit my head on the doors all the time
    (3) Windows are useless
    (4) Really dark inside and poor visibility relative to anything else modern

The good:
    (1) Silly and fun for some reason. Everyone likes you if you drive a DeLorean
    (2) You could drive the car to its limit and it was hysterical. Going 40 mph around a corner felt like you were on the edge of adhesion only to see minivans with mom's driving past you.
    (3) Surprisingly reliable.

I would get another one in a heartbeat.

- Chris

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Things you hear driving a Ferrari/Lamborghini:

"Is it a kit car?"

"How much do you make?"

"How much did it cost?"

"How fast does it go?"

Things you hear driving a Delorean:

"Does it travel through time?"

"Ever take it to 88mph?"

"Does it fly?"

"Where's the Flux Capacitor?"

"Found the cocaine yet?"

18. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Mine just sold. I know I will miss this car. It was a great one.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Friend of a friend has one...

She got tired of keeping the stainless clean and had it painted about 15 years ago. Complicated process to make it adhere, she said.

She's very happy with her decision; still drives it regularly. It has 90k+ miles on it.

20. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I just bought one due to my life going so well and needed some hardship. The car had sat since 92. Joking aside I got what I felt was a good price and will make a few bucks in the end. They are not terrible to work on but the parts vendors are a pain and cutthroat on a personal level between them. I am looking forward to getting it on the road and seeing what people say about it. I can't tell you how many people have pointed at my silver 308 and said "Delorean". Now I can say it is in the other stall.