Fun Manual under $30K | FerrariChat

Fun Manual under $30K

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Billy10mm, Sep 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Finally got the wife to sign up for Skip Barber in October. Now of course she's afraid that she'll forget the stick-shift techniques she learns if she doesn't start driving a stick regularly. So out goes our Accord and in come something fun.

Must have a manual transmission with stick and clutch pedal (no flappy paddles). No exceptions, not one.

Must seat 4 - not necessarily comfortably. Kids are 7 and 4 and can deal with a tight back seat. That said, they do have legs, so older 911s (any 911s for that matter) are out.

Would like low(ish) maintenance. This car will see a lot of commuting miles so I prefer to stay with American or Japanese/Asian cars. That said, exceptions can be made for something highly entertaining.

"Highly Entertaining" & "Fun" are subjective. I'd love something that handles like a Boxster/S2000 ... but the reality is that I live in the greater NYC area and don't get out to do a lot of "alone" driving, so most of the "fun" would likely be little more than on-ramps, off-ramps, and roll-ons. It may see the occasional track day.

So what I'm looking for is suggestions. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.6 comes to mind - with 300+ HP - could be fun. Initial thoughts are something like a 2010/11 Camaro SS. The wife loves the look of muscle cars, so she's onboard with this - though she prefers the Challenger (I detest Chrysler products). Mustang's are out - she feels they are too "red-necky".

Won't go over $30K. Found a 2010 Camaro 2SS 6-speed with $40K miles on it that set the bar at $25K ... so $25K seems like the new target (again, will ultimately depend on how entertaining the vehicle is).

No new vehicles. We don't do "initial depreciation".

Throw me some ideas.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #2 leead1, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Great question Billy.

I bought a new 2013 VW R that was a manual. The R stands for race. They also make a less expensive GTI model. I zeroed in on your coment about "entertaining". I own alot of cars and these cars are a blast. Not real fast but zippy

New they are asking $38K I I am sure used you can buy them in your price range.
    Although I did not keep mine long, that is no fault of the car.

Good luck

Lee

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My suggestion: Go to any car buying web site & type in your parameters... Start out wide then hone down to possibilities.

You seem to be open to most anything but you do have exceptions. Regardless there are going to be a ton of cars that fit your criteria. I have the 911 (pdk, and still fun). My kids are 12 & 8 and not really a problem for short runs. I'm 5-10 & wife is short also so that helps. I get it though if the car is going to be used often.

btw, which program did you sign her up for? I signed my wife up last May and she had a blast. She had never driven clutch before, they made it easy. For the exercises that were in a manual car she was quickly educated to get the car going out of first then into second. Never needed to go past second on either the skid pad or motorcross. Also they use BMWs w dsg and Lexus If's also auto. All still fun.
    Enjoy!

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mazdaspeed3? Mazda6? Hybrid, but I really like the Lexus CT, but we went with a FIAT Abarth. Abarth fun as heck, 4 seats, and 35 or so MPG city.

5. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    M3 would be the obvious choice, the E46 is really fun to drive the E9X is more powerful.
    We have an Abarth and it's a blast!

6. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Wrx/sti?
    But I'm biased

7. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    New Wrx?used sti?

But I'm biased

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Refined muscle car - Audi S5 4.2. Lovely interior, intoxicating exhaust rumble.....;)

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Brand new subaru Br-z or Scion fr-s. I had a reasonably fun scion xd with a little suspension work and improved wheels and tires. All in on the xD was $18k brand new. The couples listed are around $25k.

For something a little roomier maybe a new Mustang? I have read good reviews. Personally I prefer the smaller cars.

:)
    BT

10. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Beat me to it. Fun, RWD, manual, warranty, under $30K and has a rear seat (though not suitable for adults).

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Like Isobel, I would like to submit this, not because I've driven one, but because I am incredibly jealous that they can actually be bought for under 30K in this condition:

GR Auto Gallery

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does the CT come with a manual?

I like the GTi/Golf R, but not used (at least not out of warranty).

Focus ST would be my second choice.

13. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    It'll be at Limerock, she's taking the 1-Day Mazda driving school. She's driven stick before, but only in a parking lot. I know she's going to have a blast. I took Skip's 1-day defensive driving school almost 20 years ago now (he was using BMW 325's back then which got me hooked on BMWs) and it was phenomenal - worth every penny.

14. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Funny, I'm a Subaru guy and hadn't thought of that. The family car we would be keeping upon dumping the Accord (EX-L V6) would be our Tribeca.

Will definitely consider as the wife will appreciate the 4 doors. I however, was really wanting a torquey RWD car.

Bottom line, we will look into this, thanks.

15. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Oooooooooh. Okay. Call me crazy, but some reason I was under the impression that the S5 V8s only came in an auto. Miles on your example were high, but Audi's big ticket repair item is always their automatic trannys, which isn't a concern here. I'm going to have to do some investigating into their maintenance costs.

Oooooooooh.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That was my reaction, too.

High miles, for sure, but who knows, maybe you can find one out there that has been driven less.

17. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    11+ WRX Hatch. You can't go wrong. If you decide you want more power, it's rather easy to pick up an extra 60.

18. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    There's only one four door/four seater that fits the above handling criteria. . . . the RX-8. It's the absolute closest thing to a four door S2000-like handling feel; some might say it handles even better.

All the Audis, the G35s, the 3-series bimmers, subarus, etc. - they all lack that "feel". Drive them all back to back and you'll see it, instantly.

19. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    E30 M3 ( a bit slow on the straight )
    E36 M3
    E46 M3
    E39 M5 ( If You want 4-door )

20. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    I've driven the RX-8 .. problem is the completel lack of power (that's also what kills the BR-Z for me). Also the gas mileage. It's one thing to have a 400HP V8 and get 20mpg - at least you understand there where the fuel went. But to have the RX-8's lack of torque AND it's horrendous fuel mileage is a slap in the face.

I understand the "feel" thing, but this car is going to be a daily commuter and the wife is going to be in the passenger seat 90% of the time (we work 2 miles apart, so we commute together). She has no issues with the quick run up from 20 to 80, but wouldn't enjoy having to hold on for dear life while I do my best to make the tires howl. I'm emphasizing power here more than feel/handling.

21. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    Mini. A great commuter and should meet your stick learning with comfort, 4 seater and decent fuel mileage. Only issue we've had is stock tires in winter months don't function well on long hill climbs with fresh show.

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Get her an e39 BMW m5. There are some great ones out there and that car checks all the boxes!

23. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Sorry. M cars are out (parts are often 2 to 3 times their equivalent non-M 3-Series cost).

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Reconsider. Get a good PPI on a nice E39 M5.

That's the best answer so far.

You also want rear wheel drive to learn car dynamics.

Matt

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I dunno, a 10+ year old BMW M-car as a daily sounds like an expensive proposition to me, especially as compared to something used with a warranty, or Japanese ;)

but yes as a pure driver's car an E36 M3 or E39 M5 is tough to beat.