Mercedes SLS AMG Coupe...Bargain? | FerrariChat

Mercedes SLS AMG Coupe...Bargain?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ferraripete, Dec 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this is a car that seems well priced in the secondary market. 2011's w/ under 4k miles are out there in nice color combos for $135-150k range. is there a reason for this huge depreciation ? How is the reliability? can it serve as a DD?

can owners chime in on the experience? will this car continue to fall in value or will it begin to rise? where is the market on this car going?

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'm right there with you......

they are discontinuing production soon ?

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Problem with AMG is they are so good that a year later , whatever is... now was ...they reinvent the wheel and the old wheels become old , quickly..
    Good for the food chain though..the smaller fish get some bait afterall!

4. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I drive a 2012 almost daily, up to about 11,000 miles now. Zero problems.

Matt

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I would expect the depreciation to continue, especially once they are off warranty.

6. ferraripete

i like the fact that it is a normally aspirated engine and has the novel gullwing doors. it will remain novel and even unique as I don't see Mercedes building another gullwing car anytime soon. why did these cars not sell from the dealers?

it seems like a ton of car for the money at the current pricing.

7. ferraripete

can you provide a write up of the actual driving experience? how is the performance? describe the gearbox...compare it to a Ferrari F1. what are the high points in the car and design? what would you change if you could?

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have a 2011 and love, love, love it! Zero problems, sexy as hell and fast as lightning! It really is a super car. To be honest, I though it would be a beefed up SL. I was wrong!

9. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    It is like a properly engineered German Corvette. On crack.

They are built very solid and have a big V8 that makes a nice rumbly deep sound. Not like the screaming Italian V8s or even the German 6s. It makes oodles and gobs of power and is very flexible.

The transmission seems to work best if you leave it in auto and let the computer decide what it should do. You can switch the gearbox manually (same gearbox as the 458 Italia BTW) but it doesn't respond to paddle input nearly as quickly as the 458. This is the only disappointment. The engineers at MB worked very hard to make sure the computer knew what to do in regards to the proper gear and if you are okay letting the computer decide, it does a wonderful job. If you like a more manual approach, you will likely be disappointed by that aspect as well.

The ride is a bit firm and the big tires can make abrupt noises that seem to be transmitted through the suspension. This is more of a sports car than a GT like the SL and it shows.

The doors are sexy. The hood is impossibly long and will bring a smile to your face. Especially if you imagine that you are in a fighter jet coming in for a landing on an aircraft carrier when you are first seated in front of it. The rear boot is tiny for such a seemingly long car. It's big enough for some soft sided luggage but again, not a GT for a two week tour with your significant other. Unless the tour is along some warm coast line and your significant other wears a tiny swimsuit. Or nothing at all.

They are wrapping up production and the next car will not have the gull wing doors. I think prices will continue to drop a bit but then hit the initial plateau. I would like to think they will stabilize there as they become more appreciated and begin to appreciate.

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Corvette...... More like viper

11. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    The SLS is an awesome car, but Mercedes AMG have absolutely horrid deprecation...the higher up the food chain you go, the worst it gets. Take a look at this:

2009 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class AMG North Miami Beach, Florida | Prestige Imports

If we're to assume the original owner paid MSRP and will get the asking price in this ad, not including tax/title/license/insurance/fuel, that's over $20 PER MILE in deprecation alone.

12. ferraripete

thank you for the thoughtful reply!

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    IMO the gullwings will fare far better in resale than the convertibles, the whole thing about the car is the doors (I know the whole car is special but that is what makes it unique). The coupe is gorgeous in every color I have seen, a rare feat for any car.

Unfortunately for bottom-feeders such as myself I also don't think the coupe will continue to drop, drop, drop like say a CL65 or SL65. You can find '05 SL65 for $40k-ish and CL65 around $30k with higher miles. The SLS will probably bottom out at $75-90k in another 5-10 years, but won't go down much from there. The car by all accounts is a swiss watch and very reliable which will in time make it the "sensible" exotic alternative to the Italians or Aston Martin.

In time fashion will change and the next big thing from AMG will make it look old for a time, then it will be timeless.

14. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    When your talking 100k plus, I'd have to be looking for something more exotic than MB. Each to his own.

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thats exactly what i have been told... $150k will buy you a 599.....

16. ferraripete

I think I would prefer the SLS to the 599.

17. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    One thing I have never liked about Mercedes is the vague steering feel on center, and over boosted. BMW, Porsche abs Ferrari are so much better in that regard.

Does the SLS have it? That and the seats are what I didn't like about my old e55.

18. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Really!?

19. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    yeah me too...SLS or 550/575 would be a much harder decision though.

20. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So you would prefer an SLS over a 599.... but it would be a harder decision for an SLS vs a 550/575?? That makes no sense.

21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Schumacher's wink killed my interest....

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It was the latest gotta have it car for some, now that crowd has moved on to new trinkets.

23. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It's a Mercedes. The only MB product that does not depreciate like a falling boulder is the Gelaendewagon. The rest of em? Well, best off waiting a couple of years to buy one. Let some other guy take the first depreciation hit.

I wouldn't want to DD one. It's too rough. Suspension is too hard. Doors are too flashy (attracts too much attention every time you get in and out). The trunk is too small. That's not to say it couldn't be DD'd if you were motivated to do so.

The 6.2 V8 is a very reliable motor, and the SLS is much cheaper to keep running than some of the MB V12 models. In other words, it won't break the bank like an S65 will.

24. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i previously owned an sl55.
    i currently have an sl63.
    i test drove the sls 2 years ago and then decided against purchasing it (the test car did NOT have the optional "ride control" suspension).
    i found the ride to be too harsh for my taste.
    the sls drove more like a track car than my current sl.

25. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    perhaps it makes no sense to someone who only cares about the latest and 'greatest'. It's unfortunate you have this outlook as you'll likely miss out on many great cars because of it.