My first sports car | FerrariChat

My first sports car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FastLapp, Jan 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Bought a MY 2000 Honda S2000 today. New Formula Red. 43K miles. All stock except for radio and rear spoiler lip.

Bought it in Crossville, TN. Storing at my brother's house in Nashville and then driving it down to Houston via the Natchez Trace next weekend. Couldn't be happier with the S - it's a true sports car.

It's replacing my college-budget Cavalier (finally!). Not a Ferrari yet, but it's a step in the right direction!

pics (Also posted this in a local forum):

front: imgur: the simple image sharer
    side: imgur: the simple image sharer
    rear: imgur: the simple image sharer

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Congrats!

3. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Congrats!! Nice car, right color!!

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #5 BT, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats! Take your time to learn the car's handling, I have read too many stories of over eager new owners losing it early in the ownership experience. I find the car pretty forgiving, much more so than any other sports car I have had.

Comparing it to the Ferrari 348 I used to have, the S2k is a much better engineered car, but without the scary handling. The Ferrari sounded absolutely awesome, and the smell of it was great too. In the looks department the 348 was so much more dramatic too, but what a maintenance headache. Overall, the S2000 is a much more useful car, and one I am sure you will enjoy.

The S2000 community is full of not-too-bright bulbs unfortunately. People say Ferrari owners are posers, but the typical S2k driver is much more concerned about looks than performance in my experience. I like the car a lot, but the peers are not very encouraging.

Now on the other hand I also had a Ginetta G20. That car was a real blast! Much edgier than the Ferrari or S2k, sounded absolutely great, handled awesome but had no electronic helpers if you went outside the limits... Smelled terrible, and was built pretty poorly also. I still miss it. If you have garage space I can not recommend any car above the Ginetta, but for a daily driven sports car I don't think there is any better candidate than an S2k.

I just ordered some additional audio equipment for my S2k, the stock system really is weak. If you want any info on other S2k recommendations send me a PM or email.

Congrats on the purchase! I hope you get many happy miles from your car.

:)
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    These are superb cars. Congratulations! My first sportscar was a '93 Miata and I was instantly hooked on the manual gear, RWD, 2-seater roadster experience.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice - I've always liked those.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree, the last of the cool Hondas.

8. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for all the comments! One interesting thing I noticed when looking for S2000s is how much they have appreciated recently. I got a comparably good deal on the car and expect that, if the trend continues, I’ll be able to sell at a premium even having put on a good amount of miles. But I’m not going to worry about that now –I hope to have the car for a long time to come :)
    
    BT – thanks for all the great info (your car is gorgeous btw). I’ll keep in mind your point on fellow S2000 owners. So far, I’ve found the people on the s2ki.com forums to be a good group and helpful with the purchase of the car and future DIY’s I expect to perform, but haven’t met anyone in person yet. This is my first rear-wheel drive manual so I’m taking it easy for now and not taking any risks. Nice to “meet” another S2000 owner on Fchat. I will be driving through the FL panhandle and Georgia sometime in March. Maybe I’ll see you at an ATL C&O!

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Congrats! Always liked the S2000. Really cool little sports car.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Congrats, always liked that car great shifter!

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The only S2k "meet" I have been to was one in West Palm Beach, and it was a 90 degree day with a bunch of young people (nothing wrong with that) wearing beanies, and showing off their 'stanced' cars that were just about useless to drive.

I met one great S2k driver in Georgia that regularly goes on mountain drives with me. He has a supercharged 2005 car that is really, really fast.

Your car looks really clean, I'm sure you will get lots of great use out of it!

BT

12. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Our 1st sports car was a 944, the second was a S2000.

The S2000 (ours is a first-year model) is a true 'keeper', it's amazing how superb Honda got it right out of the box.

For a bit more intake sound, just remove the top of the airbox (lid) and toss it in the trunk......VTEC will never be the same!

Brian

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Congratulations! Very nice car and beautiful colour.

Enjoy it!

14. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #15 4REphotographer, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There are certainly a few communities the s2k falls into, one being the stanced crowd and another being a diehard track car crowd and then there those of us that are in between. I used to have my car fairly low and it got to the point that I didn't feel I could really push the car without bottoming out, so I raised it :). Here is how my car currently sits, sure there's been plenty of stuff I've done to it that have had absolutely no impact on performance, but I promised myself I would never do anything to the car that negatively impacted performance either.

15. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    Enjoy. The S2000 is a fantastic worry free, ton-o fun car! I have had many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    Congrats! Enjoy what you drive and drive what you enjoy!

A friend of mine in KC made some s2000 headlines last year, 602 whp on stock internals. Crazy car.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That exhaust is screwed up... needs fixing.

Did the PO do it himself in the backyard?

18. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It was a driveway thank you very much. ;)

Just needed a bit of adjustment with the hanger and it's now centered.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Awesome license plate!!!

BT

20. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I agree they are great little cars. Had ours since 2006, it never ceases to put a huge grin on my face when I get to drive it. OP, enjoy your new S2000, for a first sports car I do not think you could picked a better one.