M-B diesels, oil leaks. Buyer beware | FerrariChat

M-B diesels, oil leaks. Buyer beware

Discussion in 'Other German' started by tundraphile, Jan 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    We have had five M-B over the last decade, all but one bought new. The last is a 2011 ML350 Blutec that now has 50k on it. Has ran very well with good fuel economy. Servicing it is expensive but not unexpected, about the same as our Cayenne.

However, after our car was afflicted with a peculiar failure I did a little research and learned it is not only common, but virtually certain to happen to M-B diesels using the 3.0L turbo engine of the last four or five years.

One day it started leaking oil. Nasty black, garage-staining oil-fuel mix. One drop, then more, then every time we stopped a few drips.

Turns out there is an oil cooler situated in the Vee of the engine toward the firewall. A poorly-designed o-ring style gasket fails and allows the Vee and back of the engine to be coated in oil. Service manager said if left untreated it can also ruin the RMS but I am doubtful, but who knows.

It is a $10 part and the original design will fail. 50-80k mileage is the time frame as I understand it. Replacement requires removal of the injection system and the turbo assembly. Luckily ours was covered under warranty, if not to replace this cheap part requires $1700 labor in our case. It is a difficult job to do without special tools to remove the turbo as I understand it. Hopefully the new Viton version hold up better.

There has not been a recall for this. Perhaps M-B is hoping most cars make it out of warranty before it happens. maybe I was lucky mine failed early.

Just a nasty surprise for anyone considering a CPO M-B diesel.

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Sounds like a "normal" engine out service...

:)

Kai

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I recently read an article pertaining to MB turning a blind eye to a problem they were fully aware off regarding certain diesel's but are now paying the reaper. I do not understand this way of thinking by a manufacturer once held in the highest regard. I assume profits have become more important than brand quality and loyalty?

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes, if you did everything by the book at the dealer for Bluetec I think it would rival normal maintenance on a few exotic-ish sports cars.

I learned to drain and refill the AdBlue tank myself (very easy) using VW/Audi fluid and a $5 fluid transfer pump that is only used for DEF. The VW stuff made to the exact same ISO standard is $13 for 2-1/2 gallons while M-B charged $32/gallon. M-B filling up the tank is about $230, with a drain and refill every 20k is about $450. Instead it is $45 and an hour of my time in the garage.

I really hope the change to Viton for the seal cures the problem, I trust M-B engineers to correct this error. After my wife is done with the car I will probably inherit it for my commute and barring any major calamity it could have 250k on it before I sell. Forking out $1700 because of a stupid, unservicable design would burn me for sure.

For some reason if I had say a 308 or 360 that needed a $2k repair it wouldn't bother me as much as it does on a new car supposedly engineered to be the near perfection, according to the hype.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    new cars are disposable appliances..... often wonder if it is cheaper just to lease.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've leased two cars, both with the lease term timed to the length of the factory warranty.

on my VW, the car was such a POS I gladly handed them the keys back at the end of the lease.

knock on wood, so far my Jeep has been great-might buy it at the end of the lease if they throw in an extended warranty ;)

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If you drive (I put 30k/year commuting) or don't plan to trade every three years, leasing doesn't make sense.

My '09 Accord will turn 150k in a couple of weeks. We will see how long it lasts. 250k? 300k? It is basically worthless with those high mileages, may as well drive it until something expensive breaks and dump it.

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    yes, and why i buy japanese as far as a dd is concerned.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    my 1991 went to 255k and then i donated it to charity as I got bored drivng it lol

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm on my 2nd ML Bluetec lease and I couldn't be happier. I take 15k mikes a year and the prepaid maintenance and pay nothing but fuel after that. My 1st one was absolutely flawless for 36 months. Gave me great fuel economy, terrific power and was completely trouble free. Got the 2nd one back in August and the experience is the same.

11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    This seems pretty common with German luxury SUV's (part failures under the intake manifold). In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor failure.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how an external oil leak cause the RMS to fail...

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had the oil cooler leak repaired under warranty at 60k miles on my wife's 2011 GL350 Bluetech. I bought a factory 100k mile warranty at purchase. A rule I have always followed, other than an air-cooled Porsche, never own a German car without a warranty...

13. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree. Buddy of mine owns junk yards and he maintains that the old big body benzes USED to be built like tanks but that was 3 s-class generations ago. He buys Lexus now.

14. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    My 1995 S350 diesel still runs quite well, 33 mpg, does burn or leak oil and is built like a tank. I can't see exchanging it for whats behind door #2

15. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    This is really not that uncommon on any modern German vehicle. Pretty much all of them have oil coolers and they are all going to leak at some point. 50k isn't an unheard of timespan for these needing to be replaced. I've replaced oil cooler O-Rings at 30k on BMW X3s and X5s before so it could be worse. Better hope the tech didn't over torque the bolts too, they're aluminum and 2 ft lbs over and you're going to be in the same situation.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am on my second GL450, it will defintly be my last product from MB. Whatever their reputation was built on, I dont see it in the current product range. I guess they are Ok if you lease and return them at 45k miles, which is what i suppose most new car owners do.

17. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #17 tundraphile, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    New fun tonight on the ML350 that inspired this thread. Wife had a CEL a couple of days ago. Took it to Auto Zone and the code was P20BE, which is the heater inside the DEF tank. Apparently this is a very common failure, although why it failed when the weather it is still warm is strange.

Anyway, looking around the filler cap area there looks to be a connecter just under the sheet metal, I thought what the heck maybe it is loose. With -very- light pressure, the damn pump nipple just shears off in two and starts squirting DEF. This thing is so flimsy, roughly the size of a coffee stir stick about 5mm diameter, I guarantee a person would easily break it off trying to remove the tank.

So checking tonight the pump assembly is about $600, not that surprised although the design is incredibly poor. And the heater, what would you guess? How about a nice round $1000 for this stupid thing for the part. The entire tank with heater and pump is only $1400, which is what the dealer usually does, just replace the entire tank assembly for about $1700 after adding labor.

So in the morning it will be a call to the dealer to see if I can get a loaner on short notice and if this heater failures falls under the EPA emissions warranty. Car is out of normal warranty but not federal mandated warranty period for emissions. I would guess the AdBlue system is part of emissions but we will see.

Changing the tank is perhaps a 2 hour job and could be done myself. If this is entirely on my nickel that is what will happen. Online for $1250.

And the rest of the car? Frustrating penny-pinching and poor engineering in places. Example: tail light bulbs. These cars use a bus system and the bulb is in a holder, no wire to the bulb holder, UNTIL the holder and bus ground erodes a few years into the life of the car and then the owner must pay for a $25 "kit" which consists of a new holder and separate ground wire, basically the owners finish assembly of the car. Did one of those myself, would hate to think what a dealer would charge in labor. Two more are also acting flaky. Good news after doing three, there are only four more to do.

We have had five Mercedes in the last 11 years: 2003 ML500 (used), 2004 C230 (new) 2005 C320 (new), 2008 C350 (new), and this 2011 ML350 Bluetec (bought new, 63,000 miles). This car was the most expensive by a large measure and we have had more problems with it than all the other combined. My ML500 at 129,000 miles worked perfectly, not sure I trust this thing to drive across the state at half that mileage.

I could tell a decrease in quality from our '05 to '08, and this one is starting to be very frustrating to own. Will probably be our last Mercedes if it is up to me, my wife could buy another one but if she does she is on her own with it. No tundra-warranty for her on another one.

18. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Coming from old 240Ds and 300SDs, a little oil on the floor never hurt anyone lol.....You havent truly lived with a merc diesel until youve had to throw the old paper on the garage floor deal lol...Keep 'em topped off though and theyll driver forever, slowly....

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My MB experience said this is what you should expect no matter what the issue is. My favorite was when I took my 10 year old c class in for an oil change, and they gave me a document suggesting $7k in maintenance and repairs. The car wasn't even worth that!

20. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    My wife drives a 2011 gl350. We have had the oil leak, ad blue heating coil failure and the rear can bus failure which caused the battery to drain many times before MB found the problem. I assume/hope these problems are not reoccurring. Other than these issues I have been very happy with the car. It's the best large suv in the market in my opinion.
    The Gl550 won't have any of these problems and will last just as many miles as the the diesel. Maybe an option for you next time and without he associate diesel problems the gl350 has had. I suspect part of the problem is relate to many short trips.

21. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The car is used through the week on a 15 minute commute (about 5 miles) each way. Weekends it is usually an hour (50 miles) minimum from startup. In the past few months we have reverted to taking my '09 Accord (175k miles!) because it has never let me down while we do not trust the ML. A sad statement regarding the quality of this car.

Car has been maintained by the book, 63000 miles so far.

I agree this will be my last and only M-B diesel, if not my last Mercedes. We had good luck with the other ones. Looking back the "best" one was probably my '03 ML500 or my wife's '05 C320 Sport Sedan.

Forgot one last one, its last time on the flatbed to the dealer. Started the car in July, every fan on the car going full blast, no A/C, car had no power, and it said the outside temp was 187F. I immediately thought temperature sensor on the front of the car. Turns out it was the climate control computer, which then messed up the temperature sensor, which then made the engine think it was that hot outside and effectively shut the car down. Not exactly the most robust design in the world when a problem in the air conditioning prevents the rest of the car from working. The dealer fixed this with no cost to us out of warranty to their credit, probably the only reason I am paying them to fix this latest problem now.

22. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    You need to get the Tesla Model X when it comes out next year. None of these concerns with an electric drivetrain.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

From my experience as a previous garage owner, German car makers are not keen to arrange for recalls for their cars; they consider it's bad publicity to advertise a chronic faults, and much prefer the punters or the dealers to swallow the inconvenience.
    Volkswagen have suffered from many defects on their models, but rarely accept it.

I am afraid to say that I have found Japanese car makers far more forthright in this respect, with Toyota probably the most honest. For their candour, Toyota has been lambasted by various car magazines, instead of being praised for its honesty.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I did 5 oil cooler jobs in one month 2 were back to back the same week. Did another where not only was the cooler leaking, but the turbo injested peices of the exhaust manifold which cracked (Benz has a tsb on those manifolds too, and updated replacements). Same car needed both inlet manifolds replaced due to worn out runner valves causing a check engine light. Engine out to replace the manifolds. Car had just under 100km's on the clock.

Currently on the hoist is another, an e350 blutech sedan waiting for the cooler cooler replacement tomorrow.

And another is waiting outside. Currently I'm averaging 2 per month.

And you guys think Ferrari's are expensive?

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    please tell me this is a joke.