What is a super car? | FerrariChat

What is a super car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Carsonp, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjJ6pvkypM]What's A Supercar? The Debate Rages On -- AFTER/DRIVE - YouTube[/ame]

IMHO (with exceptions of course)

V12 and/or power adder
    top of a makers line
    limited run
    non-ongoing (multiple generations) unless its their only car (pagani, koenegsasdfasg, etc.)
    mid engine
    crazt price tag
    legit manufacturer
    never just an "old model"
    no special editions (upgraded models)
    something exotic about it
    as for opinions it must be and intimidating

Supercar
    MB CLK GTR, SLR
    carerra GT, GT1, 959, 918
    zonda, huayra
    Koenigsegg's
    288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, la ferrari
    Miura
    XJ220
    F1 and P1
    MC12
    veyron, EB110
    Saleen S7
    Lexus LFA
    Gumpart
    vector
    AM one-77

NOT a supercar
    SLS
    any 911
    any front motor or NA V8 ferrari
    any other lambo beside the miura (always evolving from the old model, too common, too many special models)
    Mp4-12c
    ariel atom
    nissan GTR
    any other aston
    audi R8

Questionable
    hennesey venon (kit car?)
    SSC aero (a real manufacturer?)
    Ford GT (american + old V8 ? )
    lambo Veneno and reventon (super rare but just a tarted up common one?)
    Pantera (basic V8? )

Hyper car is nothing IMHO. If this must be a category i say its only for hybrid cars (p1, la ferrari, 918). A super car is supposed to be top of the line, you cant just make another category

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I guess it's all in your personal opinion. Power numbers aren't everything, just like engine sizes. Too me, exclusivity is part of it, but not everything. The four Ferrari's, absolutely. Pagani, Koenigsegg for sure. But I think stats fall into it as well. It should be the fastest of it's time, over 200 for sure now. Under 3.5 to 60, have brakes to match. I don't think the engine has to be in the back. The C6 ZR1 had super car performance when it came out, and still does. The GT absolutely is to me. Yeah it's only a V8 from Ford, but so where the early Koenigsegg's.

In the end I don't think there is a real answer. A 458 will obliterate a 288 GTO on the track. Or a Miura, but it's a base car now. It's all subjective.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Supercar lineage (for me):

Miura
    Countach
    Testarossa
    288 GTO
    F40
    Diablo
    EB110
    XJ220
    F1
    F50
    Carrera GT
    Enzo
    Veyron
    P1
    LaF

Purposeful omissions:

Saleen (ford motor)
    AM One77 (too GT)
    Merc/Mclaren SLR (Too heavy/GT etc)
    Pagani Zonda/Huayra (Merc Motor)
    Anything Lambo has made since the Diablo - myriad reasons
    MB CLK GTR and Porsche 911 GT1 (these are race cars, not street cars, if you consider them supercars you also have to consider all of the Ferrari GT racers, Cobras and Ford GT40's etc etc, but they're all race cars)

Struggling with the Koenigsegg, it belongs by all objective criteria I can come up with but I just don't feel it.

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I posted this on another forum in response to the question "What Makes A Car Exotic?"

5. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    The F1 is (BMW Motor), but the Paganis aren't?

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That's the issue, the term has a different meaning everyone. So you'll never have a real consensus.
    For me-

Countach
    288 GTO
    F40
    Diablo ( especially the SV or Jota)
    CLK GTR
    F50
    F1
    Any Pagani
    Any Koenigsegg
    Gumpert ( an ugly one)
    XJ220
    911 GT2
    Veyron
    Enzo
    Carrera GT
    Ford GT
    Viper ACR
    ZR1
    599 GTO
    La Ferrari
    P1
    Reventon

I'm sure I left a few out...

7. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hah! I always chuckle when people praise the F1, but dismiss the Pagani's because of the Mercedes-Benz engines...

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, those 4 LeMans wins & complete destruction of Ferrari at LeMans forever makes the GT40s & GTs highly questionable LOL

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I even said it doesn't all make sense, even to me :). At least the bmw in the f1 was a bespoke motor designed specifically and only for the f1.

The other factor is that the f1 was far beyond other cars performance wise when it came out, not so for the Paganis.

10. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

The engines of Zonda and Huayra are also bespoke just for those cars.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thought they were production v12's modified for Pagani, unlike the bmw unit that was only used in the f1 and for racing with no production car variant.

12. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #12 DriveAfterDark, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you are partially right. I did some "internet research" and it seems that when the first debuted in 1999 it had a Mercedes-Benz 6.0 V12. There were only a handful cars built with this engine (in fact so few cars that Pagani has been trying to buy back the very first cars delivered), and shortly after the Zonda S (7.0) was launched, and it was tuned for Pagani by AMG. This engine was further modified by AMG in the Zonda S 7.3, Zonda F and so one (getting more and more bespoke parts along the way, as Koenigsegg also did during its first years).

It seems that the true, official "bespoke for Pagani" AMG designed engine arrived in the Huayra.

Anyway, this doesn't bother me at all. Anyone saying that Paganis are not supercars are having some definition issues that I just can't agree with. The rest of the car is as bespoke as it gets.

Ps. Look at how pale a Lamborghini looks next to a Zonda (on one of the attached pictures).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #13 WILLIAM H, Mar 1, 2014
  14. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #14 DriveAfterDark, Mar 1, 2014
    That's a Zonda R, this is a 760RS. My dream is to buy a stock Zonda S 7.3 and take it to Pagani do add personal touches to make it looks like my dream Zonda...

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I always thought that a " Supercar " was a a car that could do 200 mph right off the show room floor.

I don't know when the word " Supercar " was coined but there was a time when very few cars could make that claim.
    So many cars could come close to that 200 mph number but at the time only a few could hence the term " Supercar ".

I'm still fine with that simple criteria.

Any production car that can do 200 mph off the show room floor is a Supercar.

Today, with so many cars able to do 200 mph + it is no longer the superlative.

16. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    The term was coined when only race cars could do 200mph. IMO, supercars existed long before the term did, and long before 200mph road cars were even a dream.

The Stutz Bearcat of 100 years ago was a race car for the road with a tiny trunk (literally a box bolted to the chassis) and lights, the F40 of its day, certainly a Supercar.

The Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing was a Supercar in 1955.

The Ferrari 250GT LWB Berlinetta "Tour De France" was a Supercar.

The car that coined the term, the Lamborghini Miura, didn't have a hope in hell of reaching 200mph.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You write from the perspective of a 20 year old... 200 mph on a steet car is a fairly new occurrence. It's not a valid factor; should not be part of the definition.

There were actually 'Supercars' long before you were born. Lots of them.

19. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    A supercar is a performance car of the highest level amongst its peers. It must have exceptional performance and styling for its time. When I think to the origin of the term, the F40 always comes to mind as the first true embodiment.

20. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'm older than a 250 GTO :)

The first I heard the term " Supercar " was around the era of the Countach and I remember how rare it was at that time, mid 80s to early 90s, for a street car to break the 200 mph and any one that could would be a supercar. I don't know which was first. Perhaps it was the F40.

I'm not saying that is thee definition of supercar. I'm just saying what supercar has meant to me.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Of all of the "supercars" I've seen in person (288, F40, F50, Enzo, FXX, MC12, Veyron, S7, Aventador, Murcie, Diablo, Countach, Carrera GT, 911 Gt1, XJ220, Mclaren F1, BMW M1, etc), the Mercedes CLK-GTR looks the absolute most extreme. Even though it was in silver the two different chassis I saw...the proportions are wild. The XJ220 is in a distant second. The other cars don't look as extreme imo. Pictures don't do the CLK GTR justice.

22. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No kidding. The M120 is one of the greatest motors ever made. My favorite engine by far.

23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    #23 Tenney, Mar 2, 2014
  24. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Well here it is in '71 and referring to muscle cars. I guess all it ever really means is a car that is super! I had a '67 Super Sport Camaro once.

25. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Here is the correct answer..

Super cars:
    - Ferrari LaFerrari
    - McLaren P1
    - Porsche 918 Spyder
    - Koenigsegg Agera R
    - Pagani Huayra

Exotic cars:
    - Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12
    - McLaren 12C
    - Porsche 911 Turbo S
    - Aston Martin Vanquish

Sports cars:
    - Corvette C7
    - Dodge Viper
    - Porsche 911 Carrera

Some cars are in between... Lamborghini Aventador could be Super or Exotic... Audi R8 could be Exotic or Sports

Cars get their classification when they're new. A Ferrari F40 is a super car because it was when it first came out.