Cars that feel fast, cars that don't... | FerrariChat

Cars that feel fast, cars that don't...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lcworld, Mar 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    Which are the cars that feels really fast even though you are not going at crazy speeds? (Ariel?)

Which are the cars that feels stable or whatever that you easily go into crazy speed without realizing? (F1, CGT?)

Perhaps on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the Atom...

2. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hahaha cars that get into crazy speeds without realizing? That's one long list. I don't even know where to start... Any BMW M product since about 2006? Some of the V12 Mercs. Gallardo..................................................................

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #3 gt4me, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I love the ariel atom 3. Mine is a 300 hp only goes 153mph top speed but 0-60 is 2.85 seconds. It feels very fast because you are very low to the ground.

The new 2014 vette has only 460 hp but is a delight to drive. Not quick but satisting

Cars that can go fast without feeling it are:

Lambo Aventador 700hp
    Mosler 725 hp or 600hp

Just to name a few and there are many.

Lee

5. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Rolls Royce ghost. Still amazed by how fast they accelerate and how quiet they do it.

6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    S2000, especially with the top down.

I can drive something twice the HP and it feels slower.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Peter Egan has a couple of great old Side Glances article about this very phenomenon. I think it's either called "the low velocity, high speed car" or maybe it was "zoom factor"....I think that was the term he used for a slow car that feels fast...it has a high zoom factor. Anyhow, he used a Bugeye Sprite as the prime example. In reality it was painfully slow but it felt like you were tearing along at breakneck speeds barely in control....mostly because you probably were only barely in control with those trustworthy British drum brakes at all four corners!

I think a car like that would be a "1" on the scale you suggested above. An Atom may be more like a 4 or 5 because while perhaps feeling faster than it is, in reality it is still a very fast car by any measure. The Sprite on the other hand only FEELS fast.

To me a 10 would be something like a Bentley Continental GT Speed. Very powerful but very isolated.

Good thread idea!

8. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Not quite on topic but any fiat 600 based abarth of the 6o's will feel crazy fast at 1/2 the speed limit...also your fighting for your life in a pre-a speedster at moderate speeds that involve corners...a car that goes fast and won't let you forget it is a Mid 60's lotus super seven cosworth (on period tires )

9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    BMW 2002, one of the slowest car's I've ever driven. But an on-ramp to 65mph feels like you're doing 1000000000000mph. Love it.

Bentley Continental Flying Spur, comfortable and silent at speed.

10. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Jaguar XJ R (Supercharged). Wheelspin first, then the needle kept climbing but no drama at all. So boring. Audi R8 V10 felt the same, it's too capable...

This is why I like older (20-30 years) very light cars because the feeling of speed on public roads is more important than the actual speed. No street racing here, just oldschool drives through the forrest on a day off.

11. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Quoted for truth!

Pop the airbox cover off and the extra raging wail of VTEC from 6-9,000 rpm only adds to the manic feeling.

Brian

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I remember Peter's columns. Driving the Speedster on the freeway above 70 mph, you feel like you're riding a missile with the 60 horsemen of the apocalypse riding behind you.

Per Lee's comment, being low to the ground makes a car feel fast. Also, being open, light and vintage.

13. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Another vote for the S2000. I had one for four years; short of riding a motorcycle, it was the most fun I ever had with a car until I got my FCar (even considering the differences in tech & quality between the two cars, its quickness and low slung ride was great). Especially when it kicked up a notch past 4,000 rpm, the car was an endless source of smiles. I still regret trading it in for a BMW128 convertible, which was a good car, but not half as much fun to drive.

14. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll never be getting rid of mine, with the amount of miles I'm racking up it'll worthless here in a couple years so no sense ever getting rid of it. :D

I have friends that have high(er) horsepower cars and they just don't get it, how can 240hp be considered fast, well if you're driving it right......

15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Agreed, we have had our S2000 since 2005, no plans to replace it, I have not found anything that is as much fun and reliable for under $50,000. They are a gem and so inexpensive to own, virtually no depreciation over the last 5 years, cheap to insure and maintain and you cannot beat the smiles per gallon!

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Same goes for a Lotus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Well sort of...I've had three Loti and two S2000's...(ap1 and a CR) and there is no comparison as far as maintainance and reliability . It's a Honda for goodness sake!!

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would say the new Abarth. I drove one this weekend and it feels a lot faster than it's going.

19. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Very much true, older lighter cars are just more fun.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Original mini or Innocenti mini.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I drive an S2000 now and I would rate it a 3 or 4 on your scale. It feels fast at most speeds. In comparison I would definitely rate my old Ginetta as a 1 or 0. Driving it in a straight line at 90 feels like you are going to fly off the face of the earth. The seat pan was exactly 3" off the ground. My friend who is 6'-4" could fit in it and flat palm his hand to the ground while seated. That car was very low and very, very light.

:)
    BT

22. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I would add the current Fiat Arbath to the "feels fast" column. The exhaust sounds great too.

23. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1

Feels fast, but isn't.