New MB S550, BMX 7 Series or? | FerrariChat

New MB S550, BMX 7 Series or?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ARTNNYC, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I have been an SUV owner for the last ten years but since it now seems that I will not be spending winters in the great white north any longer I am thinking of trading in my Cayenne and getting a sedan , still with AWD.
    Any thoughts from owners?

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There is no question.... The S is the way to go

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Well, there is no question, but it's the Audi A8 that's the way to go. Check it out!

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    +1

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That was true before '14 S-Class was introduced.........

6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Yes I did read that the A8 was getting a little long in tooth and I like what I read about the S Class. Anyone own a new S class?

7. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    I just bought an s550 AWD 2013 with six thousand miles. It is the advantgarde edition . it is simply stunning. I paid almost half of list, that's right. I like the 14 but there are bugs in the first year model and for the price I paid I would be insane to buy a 14.

8. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #8 TheBigEasy, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. F430miguel

F430miguel Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    I concur with the S Class. In terms of technology, the S is always lightyears ahead. Plus they tend to drive well, provide great power and feel like a genuinely high quality product, something which lacks with lower level Mercs. The A8 would be another great call though.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    S-class looks great, but now with the rear seat options, I rather be driven in one than drive it myself. If you didn't require the AWD feature, I would've said M6 Gran Coupe.

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Sales guy that since MB discontinued the Maybach line of cars... they will use the name by offering a "Maybach package" in the new S-Class.

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I will be stopping by a MB and AN Audi dealer tomorrow. Funny no one recommended the BMW

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Because the xDrive option isn't that often seen on BMWs. They're mainly RWD for a reason. ;)

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    point taken but there is no denying the safety and drivability benefits of AWD in marginalized conditions

15. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    I have owned cars from BMW, Merc and Porsche. After having a Cayenne you will be let down by the quality of service of BMW dealers if they are anything like my local dealers. Mercedes is somewhere in the middle for quality of service. The new Merc is stunning. It's the easy winner compared to the BMW 7 which shares its chassis with the 5 series for cost saving reasons.

16. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Thanks for the input. I suppose I should look at the Panamera while I am at the Porsche/Audi dealership. I just don't know about that backend!

17. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Agreed on the back end of the Panamera. They have also changed the engines recently. Turbo six instead of the eight! One of the things I like about Porsche Is the massive option list. I purchased both of mine used but if I was purchasing new the customization with options would be a strong pull. Enjoy the test drives, it's part the fun of looking or a new car.

18. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    There is still the option of the naturally aspirated V8 in the Panamera GTS.

I would also suggest looking at the BMW Alpina B6 Gran Coupe xDrive. It's basically a slightly more comfort oriented M6 but with AWD and is now offered on the NA market.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Forgot about the Alpina...would be better imo as a driver's car than the S. Plus, you probably would never see another one driving in the opposite lane like you would with the S. :)

20. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    I personally cannot warm to the looks of the panamera. I find the cockpit crowded and confining. Also, they burn a lot of oil which i'm not comfortable with. There is nothing out there that can touch the new S class. That said I am glad I opted for the end run of a proven platform. The savings was significant .

21. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I'm surprised a Tesla hasn't been suggested for you... at a very similar price point, you're experiencing the future of automobiles. It's ahead of the curve by far... I say this after having just driven one around LA. Cheers.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good point but after having driven one would you put it in the same class (big luxury car) as a S class? I think size/amenities/"plushness" is more on par with E class/5 series/A6.

23. F430miguel

F430miguel Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    The BMW is a good enough car, but considering the amount of money at stake here, it's best to go for the best in the class. If this was cheap hatchbacks for a few thousand, then it's a different story I guess.

24. jnmit12

jnmit12 Karting

Mar 16, 2010
    Texas, France
    Full Name:
    John
    Big fan of our Alpina B7 - transmission programming makes for a big upgrade over the 750i (not to mention the extra power. We have had 4 of the current generation 7-Series - obviously my favorite of the big sedans.

25. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    My dad's lease just finished on his 2012 S Class and had a 2014 S class on order. He was going to take delivery of it, until he went to the Audi dealership and test drove the A8 TDI. He ended up leasing the A8 and loves it. His brother has the new S class and he thinks it very close between the two cars. My dad also has 2013 750i, which is also very nice, but I think you should look at the A8 TDI(Diesel) you maybe impressed.