MB G63 AMG | FerrariChat

MB G63 AMG

Discussion in 'Other German' started by THE RED MENACE, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I thinking about ordering a new G63 AMG, but the things I have read on them is not that great. Any owners here? I would like to know first hand what ownership is like. I know it won't handle like a sports car, but is it ok to be a daily driver? Any and all thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated.

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife put 17k miles on G63.
    Lots of character,lots of fun but it will also beat you up and make you very tired and give you a headache if driven more then an hour.I'm 6'5" and could never get comfortable enough, ergonomics are horrible, as expected in a truck designed in the 70s.
    She has an Autobiography LWB now and is not looking back, Ghost comfort,great handling and stability and it is even quicker then the G.

3. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #3 TG, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    I can attest. For me, driving to and around LA makes for a stiff body (3+ hrs) as there is no real support.

My only advice is not to order new; Autotrader has ~4k mile examples which have already taken the MSRP hit. Do you have a commute? If minimal, they are fun to drive around town... a truly different experience than any other car, SUV, etc... my choice of buying one is reinforced every time after starting the engine...

MBUSA is keeping production alive through 2019.. I will keep one in my life far beyond that. Ferrari is next though. Let us know what you decide... :)

4. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    My commute is maybe 3 minutes. I live in a small town so commuting is not a big deal but I do drive quite a bit, and when I do, it is a few hours at a time, so comfort is a big thing to me. My wife has a GL 550 and she loves it so I was hoping it was similar to that. I had a Cayenne GTS, and I thought that ride was a little stiff, or at least I thought the seats were.

5. F430miguel

F430miguel Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    The G Class's chassis is ancient, but the exhaust note is worth the order alone! Do it!

6. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    My buddy owns one in Manhattan. He loves it but never drives far. It was a riot in this winters snow storms.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    New AMG's seem to depreciate faster than anything out there... That said, I'm a huge fan of the G-vagan's looks. I've considered looking for a 2-year old 550 engine for a much better deal.

8. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm in the market for a G63 also. I hate the new Range Rovers and I'm a loooong time RR customer.

I drive about 7K miles a year nowadays so I thought I'd give the G a try. I am used to my comfy Rovers though.

9. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I use my 911 as a daily now along with a GMC 2500 pickup, so I think the G would be at least as nice a ride as the GMC, and I have driven that on long trips before and been ok. I think I am going to go for it. No order though, I am going to have my dealer find one because he said it's a 6-8 month wait to order one, and I just don't have that kind of patience. I did drive one for a little bit and it seemed fine, and I drove it at roughly 75 mph and the wind noise was somewhere between the wife's GL 550 and my pickup. Close enough to good I guess.

10. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    It won't be a land yacht... but it won't feel rough.

The only feedback I've received is about the total experience being unlike any other car. You're looking down on the road, the seats are straight up, etc.

I've done OC to LA and back with people and no complaints...

11. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #11 TG, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The one day of rain here, I found puddles... it was a protest in comparison to said riot. :)

Do it... I've recruited two other friends naturally over the last 4 months. Here are a few from my G folder:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    While they do lose a lot of value, they are still pretty damn pricey used. I'd expect much worse from such a niche AMG.

I've always wanted one because I thought they looked so cool, but the interior looks bleh and the gas mileage is absolutely atrocious. I don't think I could deal with that kind of gas mileage.

I'd buy used since they are a better deal and I personally think the last generation front end is better looking. Interiors are still meh.

13. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I'll just say every time to LA from Newport Beach and back is $40. That doesn't account for driving around LA...

In defense of getting 12-15 mpg, I was just talking to a 2014 Range Rover owner.. said his supercharged gets like 8 mpg. Tesla anybody?

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Those numbers are crazy. Not only is it a massive inconvenience, especially if you live someplace with a Winter, but you get pretty much nothing for it. Even though the cost is insignificant in the scope of things, I'd say it borders on pure wastefulness.

The G is only cool because of how it looks on the outside. This a prime candidate for electric powertrains like Tesla. It's already heavy, torque is all that matters, and MPG couldn't get any worse. I think it would sell extremely well in such form.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    But you would lose the soundtrack.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eh, doesn't really have the same effect on mevin a super heavy, super slow SUV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The resale values are pretty decent on these trucks, especially when compared to other MBs.
    I got $110k for my 17k mile G63, not a very steep loss from $135k purchase price I paid for it new.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The G63 hides its weight really, really well. And it is a lot of weight.

I like driving them, but it's not the right car for me.

My DD is a CL 63. It's been as reliable as my wife's C320 wagon. And about equally as expensive to run in terms of maintenance and repairs. On any AMG, some things are more expensive, especially tires and brakes. But AMG ownership is not nearly as expensive as people make it out to be.

Matt

19. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #19 Jaguar 15, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd love to have that and I don't even know why! LOL! Probably because it's so ridiculous.

21. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm having the worst time buying one these things. I'm paying cash. Go into the dealer, we get on the road to a deal then they don't call me back. 2 dealers in a row with this problem.

My GF says they don't want me to pay cash. They want me to finance.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a friend wanted to buy one (cash deal as well), he couldn't get a dealer to agree to it. ended up having to call MBUSA and complain. apparently most of the AMG G-Wagens go to Russia, and paying cash is a "red flag" that the car will be exported (why they care, I'm not sure, unless someone thinks Mercedes is facilitating this to avoid a tariff or something)

so maybe try calling MBUSA? or just get a loan and pay it off in two weeks.

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't have a problem with that except the fees "to get a loan" are silly.

I think I just need to keep hitting the resellers and see where I end up.

The dealer is offering money off sticker to move them. The ones on Ebay have been there a long time.

Yes, supposedly the export market is hot for these right now or at least was but if that's the case, how come it seems there are so many available?

I had a deal put together in my home town. Was on the way to pick it up and they said they wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't a Georgia Resident. I'm a Floridian.

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this is at my local dealer. no idea why there's a G63 in Gainesville.

give them a call ;)

Gainesville 2014 Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG New SUV Alachua Newberry Mercedes-Benz / Subaru of Gainesville | EX220514 | WDCYC7DF8EX220514