U.S. BAC Mono prices | FerrariChat

U.S. BAC Mono prices

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by fastback33, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I know this is a track specific car and all that, which there may not be a huge market here in the U.S. In fact I'm not even sure if any U.S. customers have gotten delivery of their cars yet? Just curious if anyone on here has one on order and also what one would expect the prices for a used car to go for in say 4-5 years' time?

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 noone1, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Can't help you there, but in terms of track day specials, have you considered a Riley track day car? They are quite affordable, have a selection of very reliable and cheap (relatively) to service parts, and provide daytona prototype-like performance from what I've heard.

3. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Well, damn. I was hoping there was a, or some future owners on here. I've heard of the riley and am not terribly interested. I feel the same about the radicals too. The Mono just seems to tick all the boxes. Typically I would just assume regular depreciation but, the car is sort of niche and may not play by similar rules...

I'm curious because, the mark-up sector 111 has, just doesn't make the car worth it if it isn't at least street legal. Which has me thinking the depreciation will probably depend on how many are brought into the U.S.

4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    i know 2 people in LA area that have received there’s... im thinking that car is bargain of the century given the level of detail put into it.

one is street registered and the other is pending. i will have to make my way out there take it out for spin the next time im in town.

5. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Interesting. What entails getting the car street registered? I'm under the impression it only needed a catalytic converter??

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Affordable to whom? If you are talking about the Riley Mark XXII I am pretty sure it is well over $100K. Maybe that is affordable to you.

I always thought the BAC Mono is cool, but I'd rather have a real open wheel race car like a Pro Formula Mazda.

I am utterly baffled by the desire to ruin a serious track car by putting on the street. The ride height requirement alone to run on the street hampers the aero and suspension setup. Then you have to soften the car so much that it will be a wallowing pig on track. And then putting treaded tires instead of slicks - yuck!

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    10 mins from their shop and I wouldn't exactly say it's a affordable machine......

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 noone1, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    Well, I mean it's pretty affordable as far as race cars go. That BAC is like $150K I think. At about $200K for the Riley, it will run circles around any track focused road car you'd bring to the track and probably even most factory race cars outside of LMP or F1 cars.

I think it even uses a lot of more affordable components and makes maintenance a lot cheaper than running something super high-end.

I've never driven one though, so I'm just repeating what I've heard. Being that it's around $200K, I have to imagine it's vastly cheaper than anything you could get from a large manufacturers being that even street cars from the likes of Porsche, Corvette, and Audi are $100-200K.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Take a look at the Zenos E10, way cheaper by about 1/3 of price of a BAC Mono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I see your point and do agree about the open wheel car, as I'm a bit of a track rat. Curious if you've driven the BAC though?

Just going off of the TG review, Clarkson was raving about the cars "sublime" ride quality, while keeping significant cornering speed as well...

I've read some other reviews that say it is quite good on public roads as well. Chris Harris' review wasn't too bad either albeit on track.

I have no opinion though, as I haven't driven it and can only go off of what automotive journalists say.

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have not driven one. My current fastest track car is a Radical SR8. It seats 2, and there is a robust used market for them. I bought mine used and had to have the engine done after about 15 hours. Since the on it has been very reliable and it is extraordinary quick. My total about of pocket other than fuel and tires has been about $90K. Not streetable at all. Raising the ride height and putting treaded tires on it would ruin it.

The Raddy has excellent parts availability, but they are expensive. I am very satisfied and highly doubt the Mono would outrun it. Maybe the Riley would, but I actually doubt it. 360 rwhp and about 1800 lbs wet with driver plus slicks and downforce is tough to beat. It is old school with a tube frame, but there is a lot to be said for ease of maintenance.

The Wolf and other VdeV cars (European sports racing series) like Ligier and others are also worth looking at. Racecarsdirect.com has lots of fun listings to browse.

12. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKl7pu8vwU[/ame]