Last modern exotic / Supercar with manual trans | FerrariChat

Last modern exotic / Supercar with manual trans

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jvmax, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 jvmax, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    ok, I know this was discussed before many times. I currently drive an audi r8 v8 with manual trans, really happy with it now for about a year of ownership. Looking to replace it with another exotic / supercar but it will have to be a manual. Yes, I have driven a McLaren and 458. Both great cars, but I need a manual as I like to drive around town and not on a track. As you can see by the cars I currently own, I prefer to shift myself.

Current collection:
    1995 Porsche 911 C2
    1991 Porsche 911 C4
    2001 BMW Z8
    2012 Audi R8
    2005 Lotus Elise
    1988 BMW M3
    1972 BMW 3.0CSL
    1979 Mazda RX7

Some other cars I have owned throughout the years include a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena, 1996 Viper GTS, 2005 Viper, 2002 and 1998 NSX, 2007 Aston Martin Vantage, 2011 BMW 1M, 1999 and 2001 BMW M Coupe.

On the top of my list is a Ford GT and a Carrera GT, but those cars have jumped a lot in the past 2 years, upper $200k and $400k plus and are 10 years old. So my other choices would be a 2011-2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage, 2007-2009 F430, or a 2011-2014 Lambo Gallardo. I could stick with audi and upgrade to a v10 but the whole point of this exercise is to experience something new. I am thinking this final year Gallardo in 2 wheel drive format might be the one:

Lamborghini Gallardo 50th Anniver | eBay

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Aston Martin DBS?

Just saw one last week and still sexy as ever...

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd buy a V12 Vantage instead of the DBS if that's the route you were thinking.

CGT is really what you'd want though. Look for a high-mileage one. I think there is one in the low 300s for 25K miles on it.

I wouldn't buy a CGT or FGT at a high price though. I think they will come back down. They've exploded in the last year and I think things might have gotten a little carried away. I'd wait and see before buying a low-mileage example of either, especially a FGT.

4. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The ultimate supercar with a manual for me is an LP670 SV.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #5 leead1, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    A very nice collection. It great to see a post from another car enthusiast who also likes manual cars.

You can see my profile for the cars I own.

A car that is manual, fast and sexy looking is the Mosler. I have owned mine for 6 years and I have never seen another on the road. They are all manual. dry weight is about2150 lbs. My car is 600hp. they can go as high as 725 hp from the factory.

The other car you may look at is the new viper. It has 640hp and all are manual. It is a V10 motor. The new cars drive as a sports car should, the old ones do not, but they are all stunning cars with a fantastic exhaust sound. I hated my 2009 Viper but I love my 2013 car.

The new 2014 Vette is manual if you like or automatic if you prefer. Mine is only 460hp but it is a great drivers car. The 620hp will be soon. Drive one and expect to be impressed.

My 2013 Shelby mustang is manual with 665hp motor from the factory. The exhaust sound is my favorite. If you push the car you will see it has low technical underpinning. It is still a great drivers toy

Ariel Atom also comes to mind. They drive and perform like a super car, They are not very expensive. Care and feeding of the car is minimal. They are made in Alton VA and they are great people to deal with. They are very very light and are 245, 300 or 500 hp. It is totally open and is the most visceral driving experience I have ever enjoyed.

I agree with you on the R8. I got the V10 but the cars handle the same witch is awesome. So it is more important to me to enjoy different driving experiences.

I may start to look at classic muscle cars. They have good power and sound and manuals are easy to find.

Good luck on your search.

Best

Lee

6. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 jvmax, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Lee,

I don't know if you remember, I had the Yellow 360 at the meet you put together in 2007? At that time I also had a Pantera and parked next to your Blue Ford GT at the Winter Park Concours. I see you have gone thru a lot of cars too since then--sad to see you sold the ford GT as that car is still on my wish list.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think the Zonda 760 was the last supercar (in the true sense of the word) available with a manual gearbox.

Before that, the Murcielago LP670 SV.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    2012 911 GT3 4.0 RS

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There is also the viper and new Z06 vette, plus the Z28. Europe kinda offers nothing these days. the home of the analogue supercar is the USA, truth is stranger than fiction.

You can also get a rossion for your F40 experience a GT40 from SPF and a cobra, not talking kit cars here, but real well sorted fully fuincyioning machines.. The existance of these cars tells you the big factories are missing a market.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    John great to hear from you. That picture of all the cars in front of my house brings back good memories.

I was sad to let the Ford Gt go. But it was time to move on. Someone got a great car. I was told it went up north on the East coast.

I go to the Orlando cars and coffee. My friend Troy and I go together. We should meet there. I would love to hear about your adventures.

Best

Lee

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #11 absent, Apr 26, 2014
    I was looking for one very hard, then I realized that they got too close to CGTs pricewise.
    Got the latter instead,could not be happier, already know I would never get bored with it (were always bored with my cars after a while, no matter what they were).

12. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I have this car (CGT) on my list. I have heard they are tricky to drive, 1st gear you cannot give it gas otherwise it will stall, so you just have to let off clutch and it will go by itself (in first gear only). They made so little (600 in the US) with many wrecked. What are your ownership experience with the CGT so far?

13. azboater

azboater Karting

Jan 27, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #13 azboater, May 14, 2014
    If you still want a Porsche I highly recommend the MK1 3.6 Gt3 RS, I have a 2007 and still reasonable cost over 3.8 or 4.0 & an absolute blast to drive, here is my Black/Orange 2007 at the last Cars & Coffee in Scottsdale, Arizona, next to it's flip twin, a 2008 Orange/Black Mk1

Best Regards, hope whatever you buy is a joy to drive!

Nick

14. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    In my mind, I can never imagine why one would chose the 4.0 over a CGT at such a similar price point.

I recently put a center muffler bypass on a 4.0, and while it sounded absolutely phenomenal, NOTHING and I mean nothing comes closes to a CGT. IMO, all of the CGT's competitors are easily in the 1mil price category. Such an elegant design, I would love to install an exhaust on one :D

15. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I agree with you, but the 4.0 is the ultimate 997, last of an era, etc. The 911 enthusiast base is tremendously larger than the entirety of the Porsche supercar enthusiast base. Also it's significantly more rare.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    To be honest I never expected it would be that good.
    Not tricky at all either, clutch takes some getting used to and then it's a breeze, incredibly stable at speed or under heavy acceleration (got to 190mph in one smooth acceleration from about 60 on highway in "Mexico" and it felt like it was on rails, especially compared to my old 599).
    Tons of traction, although easy to break it with it's lightness, power and instant throttle response (no flywheel).
    Contrary to what I read before getting the car, it does not try to kill you when putting it in a drift, it is quite easy and controllable, something I certainly not expected at all.
    It has an undeserved bad rep, it is just a genuine analog car with incredible performance ( at high speeds accelerates stronger then my previous daily driver 991 TTS).
    Btw, it had tires replaced last Fall and I'm sure it helps a lot too.

17. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #17 jvmax, May 28, 2014
    Ford GT it is: