1986 Mercedes-Benz 190-Series 2.3-16 | FerrariChat

1986 Mercedes-Benz 190-Series 2.3-16

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Texas Forever, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Only thing I can add is that I have loved these cars since they came out and that they are very reliable. If the car is all it is described to be $8K with only 55K miles sounds like a very good deal. I do not think you could go wrong on this deal.

Good luck.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    There lovely cars, extremely well built and will run forever. You have to rev the hell out of them to get any sort of speed up, though at least this is a manual. Go for a decent test drive to see if it suits you or not.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    While I prefer the E30 M3, the 2.3-16's were very very very well built, and more comfortable. There are plenty of videos comparing the two. There were a few for sale here that I went to look at, I'm still tempted to own one. Built when Mercedes - even sporting ones - were some of the best built cars around.

5. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 sca037, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We had a regular 1986 190E 2.3 (8-valve) with the 5-speed manual, and I enjoyed the car a lot.

I can only imagine having the hot version with the Cosworth 16-valve head and race-inspired shift pattern would only have increased the fun.

All it needs is a SENNA windshield banner ;^D

Brian
    (our 190E below)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    Always wanted one. This example looks vg. Underpowered = fun at the limit doing less than insane speeds. Momentum car.

M

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    It was decent in its time, but is very underpowered by today's standards. Keep in mind this isn't the coveted 2.5-16v even, it's the 2.3. I'd personally go for a C55 like you were recently inquiring about.

That said, I haven't owned a 190E-16v, but know a few who have. They all swear by them and the ones who sold them still miss their cars.

If you're looking for a W201 specifically, why not start with a regular 190E 2.6, swap in a C36 engine and with a 16v or full Evolution body kit. That would be more fun and potent than a stock 2.3-16v in my opinion.

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I've owned a few Benzes - 70s 280, TDs, e55 AMG, w124s, w123s. The Cosworth model remains my favorite. Love the revvy Euro engine and dogleg tranny; appreciate this model's connection to Senna. I'm one of those who misses it once in a while.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    +190. Nice advert, low miles, not modified and seemingly well maintained with a rare colour for a Cossie. It's calling you..;)

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When Isobel says "Jump", you say "How high?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lol good one and I have always found Isobel to be very knowledgeable as well.

12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Back in '86,trying to decide between a 2.3-16 and a Saab9000..picked the Saab.
    Big error...
    Cheers,
    RE

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The prices have popped on these the last 2 years. This seems like one of the best. Many are in poor shape and/or automatics.

14. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #14 MB_Fahrer, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the most fun cars I've owned. Absolute blast. The 5-speed manual is an absolute must. These cars are so much more fun to drive than E30 M3's because the MB has torque (as opposed to the M3 which has to be driven within 1000 rpms of redline at all times). What I did with mine was throw some 17x7.5 (or maybe 17x8) Enkei wheels, the H&R Cup suspension, removed the rear seats, installed a harness bar with four point harnesses, and threw in two Racetech seats. What a hoot. With the rear seat removed (oh, and the spare tire and everything from the trunk) it actually moved along quite briskly. The chassis balance is amazing, the whole experience is just wonderful. A very fun little car for not a lot of money.

Problems? Umm...nothing except the electro-mechanical fuel injection can be a hassle. Nothing hard or expensive though.

Now, go buy one and enjoy it! :)

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    1 day and 16hrs left to place your winning bid TF.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    In the day it was this MB vs the M3.
    It seemed all the F1 drivers of the day had one or the other.
    The M3 has become a cult classic and priced accordingly.
    If you can score this for a song go for it.

We had a first year Eurospec 190E and it was "OK"; not a memorable car.
    Other than the wife cooked the engine in Texas heat and it was almost impossible to find parts for. Pistons and head were unique first year. I would imagine a 16V to be equally unobtanium.

Note to all wives; If the engine is overheating do not turn the AC to max to cool it.

17. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    LOL

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    looks like a sweet little car begging for a 5.0 mustang motor swap...

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Unfortunately that would spoil the nice handling balance of the car.

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Although I love my Testarossa.....I wanted a 'tinker' car. So I bought a higher mile , uber clean body 2.3 16V. Now mind you, this was a mechanical project.

Things I worked on / fixed:

Brakes / wheel bearings (farmed out)
    Fuel injection...what a pain, but finally sorted.
    AC system
    Multiple lights out in the dash
    Water pump / thermostat etc.
    Rebuilt shifter bushings.....best $115 I spent on the car.

After I got the mechanics up to spec, time for some classy 17's and a new sound system.

I have had a blast refurbishing this car and it didnt break the bank. Now that the 'work' is behind me, what a fun car. Its super comfortable, plush neutral ride and sporty as hell. I let the wife take a turn at the wheel last weekend....she loved it. Im actually looking for a normal 190 2.6. The handling is totally unique and predictable. Most everything is swappable with the normal 190 sans engine and the Getrag tranny.

I see clean well maintained examples enjoying a nice rise in values over the next couple of years like the first gen M3.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I hope the lack of any updates is because he is to busy driving his new Merc!

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Im hoping the same thing. One of the pissers is that this car was only sold in N America in the gold/silver and diamond black. My cars are all white with tan interiors. I couldnt do the gold so black it was. It is the black sheep of the family.

23. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    My friend down here has one, he swapped it with E320 24 valves engine. Runs great !

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do you mean he performed the engine swap on a regular 190 or on a 190 2.3-16? I can see it on a regular 190 but not a 2.3-16 version.

25. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    Just picked up a 1-owner car with the original California title and blue and yellow Ca plates in so.cal. its a bit high on the miles 170k but the engine got issues, but going to hold on till i find all of the parts to fix it.