BMW 7 E38 - good idea? | FerrariChat

BMW 7 E38 - good idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Far Out, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #1 Far Out, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need a daily driver from roughly the end of summer (when I finish my Doctor thesis and start working) for about a year (when the Dr. hopefully pays off and I can afford something nice).

I noticed that the E38 7 series can be had for dirt cheap, 3-4k€ for a well maintained 728 with >150000km (>100k miles), 1000 more for a 740.

Opinions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I had one and just loved everything about it except the maintenance.
    The engine went out at 75K miles, warranty over, but thank god it was covered by a "secret warranty". The Nicasil coating flaked off. $10K otherwise.
    If a tranny goes expect the same $.

Then a radiator blew and stranded the car while we were leaving a Black tie party.

The car would not nickle and dime you it would $1K and $5K you.

I hated to see it go but couldn't take it anymore.
    PS; I was an aircraft mechanic at the time so did most of the work myself.
    If I had been a normal civilian NO WAY would I buy one.

But Gaaawd what a ride. Just seeing that pic stirs my soul.

4. mx5mike

mx5mike Rookie

Oct 4, 2009
    First post on f chat but long time lurker. Had a 99 750 il for a year. Loved all but the maintnance. Paid 8500 for a super nice 1 owner 80k mile example. Paid over 10k in maintnance items that year and sold it before something major failed... 2500 for front and rear suspension overhaul, 500 to replace both battery's, 100k maintnance was 1500 that was all fluids including trans. Another 1500 to go through the cooling system. And several thousand on odds and ends. Sold to a bimmer forum member for 13k and that was high but he got a beyond high book car and one of the best available in the us at the time. It was a v12. Loved the car but $$$ hungry to keep as a reliable dd. ended up buying a new nissan murano SUV to replace it as a dd tell I can afford my first f car

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#5 Bradwilliams, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Go with a high mileage car with tons of maintenance receipts. Low mileage cars are suicide, you're just going to have to replace everything to the tune of 10-15k, on top of the premium that you're going to pay for a low mileage car. Get one with 140k or so on it for 4-7k, that way your total cost of ownership will be reduced drastically. I paid 7500 for mine and ran through everything it needed to the tune of 2k. Now the car is 100 percent in every regard. Engine service done, and suspension done. Make sure to have 10k to spend right off the bat. Every used BMW needs something, I don't care what the owner says. THe second you get the keys you will be putting 1500-2k into it to make it right. That's the nature of these cars. Most likely for struts. They all go bad on these like clockwork. Get the stock ones out of there and replace them with bilstien or Koni. That's the nature of these cars. The main issue is that the OEM parts BMW provides are just trash. Everything is plastic, everything is designed to break. So as you take it in for repairs, always look to upgrade the oem parts to aftermarket when it makes sense to do so. IE plastic radiator that breaks every 60k can be replaced with an aluminum for double the price, but is worth it to never have to deal with it again.

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've had two, loved them and may get my last one back (740i sport) as I miss it so much. Maintenance was mostly suspension parts and cooling system parts, only major engine issue is the timing chain guides (v8 only), which I did myself on one of the cars. If you buy a high mileage car, make sure they've been done or the first time you have a coolant leak and the engine gets hot, they will go. My 2nd car that I'm debating getting back has 240k miles and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. They are one of the best combinations of ride quality and good handling I've ever driven, especially the sport model.

Maintenance isn't cheap, but they are not difficult to diy and there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the common failures. I got a complete suspension kit for $400 and just replaced stuff as it went bad. I would not recommend one to someone not mechanically inclined as it would be easy to get taken for a ride at a bmw dealer...

7. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The best looking full size sedan and still is I'd say. Love that low beltline! But yes, heard about them being expensive to maintain when I asked a friend who is on our local BMW chapter board and has 2 BMW's about them as I thought of getting one as well. DIRT cheap they are and have been for many years. Too bad about the costly repairs. :(

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    735's are nice. We had one when it was new. Still my favourite car we ever owned...

735s should also be cheaper to maintain than V8s.

9. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Thanks mates for all your input!I guess the OEM parts (which I didn't get prices for) are quite expensive, but the equivalents from other reputable manufacturers I found don't seem too expensive.

Am I right with the assumption that the six cylinder 728 is cheaper and less risky to operate than the V8 models?

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

728 isnt available in the US. If you're worried to the point where you're buying based on engine size then I don't think that this car is for you. Not to dissuade you but you're going to be putting in considerable bucks into this car, no matter what.

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1. That was the last good looking BMW

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I wouldn't plan on keeping it long term, and I wouldn't really need the big engines - more interested in comfort etc than power. I'm fully aware of the financial risk attached (ie, total loss if the car costs only 3-4k), just trying to minimize that risk. And I haven't really seen where exactly the big money comes into play, the parts I have looked at (suspension, exhaust... everything but engine parts) aren't overly expensive. I'm working on my Doctor of Engineering and can turn a wrench myself ;)

13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cooling system and suspension needs to be done every 100k-150k and many are in need of being done. If you can wrench yourself, it's vastly cheaper. They're not too difficult to work on, either.

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#14 Bradwilliams, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    That is even more reason not to buy it. If you end up putting 6 grand into it over a 2-3 year period then you have wasted way to much money on a short term car. You're going to want to keep this thing for awhile to justify the total amount of money you're going to spend. Remember, you're going to put in 1500-2k off the bat, plus an average of 1500-2k per year. And there is always a possibility that you have a rough year where you spend even more than that. I love the car, and want you to get it but I think you're making a big mistake financially. I've seen a few people get sucked into the trap that you are describing, only to want to shoot themselves a year later. If I were you I would buy an older LS400 Lexus. Those have the best build quality of all LS's, cheap to run, and have the nice boxy straight lines.

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That $1500-$2k presumes a mechanic does the work for you. If you do it yourself it's half that, if not a little less. You'll spend way more money on a car payment on a newer car that won't be as nice.

I think the most I spent on one of mine was $1500 in a year, and that included a set of tires. Most expensive single repair was timing chain guides which cost me around $800 doing it myself. It gets expensive if you need a mechanic, if not it's just parts which can be had fairly reasonably.

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Yours was worse than mine, but mines been awful in a lot of ways. The AC is a joke. Interior is Rubbermaid and pure trash.

17. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I think they are great cars especially if you can wrench.

18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#18 Bradwilliams, May 26, 2014
  19. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    #19 Jdahlstrom, May 26, 2014
  20. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Go.for.it.

Get yourself one that has a lot of new parts in. Drive it for 12 months, sell it with just a service. Should do the job. It is a stupidly great car for little money, fuel economy is trash especially on the M60 and M62 4.0 and 4.4 V8, respectively. Well balanced, after a week or two of driving you forgot its over 2 tons.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    We used to get nearly 30mpg highway in our '98 740iL (4.4L V8). It kept its momentum pretty well with all that torque.

Btw, we had to replace the radiator as some plastic parts on it broke. Add another repair for a transmission module, some new wiring for the rear battery (kept draining it), brakes, etc. Each service was $1k minimum. This was when it was within age 5 years (2003).

Try to get one with the multi-function display (includes navigation) and electric rear sunshades. Took a while for us to find one back then with all that, but those are the main options I wouldn't settle without. Having a screen instead of hundreds of buttons is better and the sunshades work well to keep it cool. The navigation/MFD should be standard on all 2001 models in the US. Not sure about 1999/2000, but IIRC, it was still optional through 1999 and became standard in 2000. 1999 was the facelift year with the newer style headlights and crystal taillights. I think even had puddle lights under the door handles.

22. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Do these have the same engine that's in the '03 - '05 Range Rover?

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Kind of. Not all 4.4L V8s in the E38 were the same. 1999-2001 featured VANOS with the M62TUB44, which is found in the '02-'05 range rovers (even has the same 16:9 widescreen and buttons used in the 2001 BMWs for the dashboard). The M62 our family had in 1998 was a non-VANOS M62B44.

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Bookmark this site:

DrVanos.com

The guy is a legend in BMW circles.

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've had 2 e38's (one 740il and one 740i with sport package) and both got at least 25mpg highway. The il would get 27mpg on long trips at 80mph, the sport would do about 1mpg less due to the lower gears. I liked the sport a lot better as a driver, though the il was better on long trips. Too bad they never made an il with the full sport package as that would be perfect imo.