Japanese car makers deserve more credit. | FerrariChat

Japanese car makers deserve more credit.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DriveAfterDark, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I mean, when someone says "Japanese car", 99% would think of a boring Toyota sedan. The fact is that Japanese car makers are doing tons cool stuff and have been doing so for decades.

From top of my mind:
    - They took the loved concept of compact and simple British roadsters and gave us the foolproof MX-5
    - They brought us the NSX which in return gave is much more daily drivable supercars the following years
    - They gave us the Nissan Skyline GT-R (from generation R32 and onwards) which defied every rule of a capable sportscar/sports coupe/supercar/whatever by making a relatively heavy car super quick by using high-tech
    - They raced Le Mans in prototype that defied vehicle designs of the rest of the group (Nissan Deltawing)
    - They won Le Mans in a car with a rotary engine (Mazda 787B)
    - They pick up extremely talented racing simulation gamers from online competitions and make them real world racing drivers (the recent Gran Turismo and Nissan GT-R competition)
    - They frankly don't give a crap about the horsepower race that the rest of the world is obsessed with (with the exception of the last generation Nissan GT-R)
    - They are entering Pikes Peak with a 603 bhp full electric car this year (MiEV Evolution III)
    - They made an actual usable hydrogen fuel cell family car (Honda FCX Clarity concept)
    - They made hybrids usable, reasonable and popular (Toyota Prius)
    - They went to a manufacturer of musical instruments (Yamaha) to fine tune the engine noise of their supercar Lexus LFA - not to mention that the LFA was built from scratch (Toyota even made the carbon fibre, a material that was totally new to them) from a company that usually makes the planets most safe (boring) cars
    ..and much more that I can't think of right away.

They are making their money on econoboxes for the masses, but you cannot deny that they are really capable of surprising once in a while - in a good way!
    Every single world renown manufacturer (Subaru, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi etc.) have brought something amazing to the table of the years.

If anyone says that "Japanese cars lack passion" one more time...

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The new BRZ/FRS twins are great, as is the GTR, and the MX-5 is a perennial classic, but I am hard pressed to think of much currently made that I'd even consider owning. Honda and Acura make nothing. Lexus makes nothing. The Subaru WRX is the only thing other than the BRZ.

But if you want the new "minimum" 400 hp in a sports car there is only one offering from Japan.

But I do think the SUV craze killed a lot of sports cars from all manufacturers.

3. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    With this thread I didn't actually mean to discuss current offerings, but what the manufacturers have done and also are doing outside the normal production lines (concepts, technologies, racing etc.).

4. parthiban

parthiban Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    I think the issue is though that Japanese cars do lack passion. A lot of normal Japanese cars are soulless machines to get you from A to B, they don't even slightly try to evoke any emotion at all.

That doesn't mean there aren't Japanese people who are passionate about cars, and that's how cars like the utterly brilliant LFA get made (which is an amazing effort how good it is when they don't normally make anything like that).

The passion is there, but it doesn't get applied often enough and that's how they've developed this stigma.

Bit unfair imho, the IS-F was a decent alternative choice to the default M3, and the RC F is looking like an interesting prospect as well :)

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I forgot the S2000 so Honda does make something. And Mitsubishi's Evo is pretty great. As for Lexus, anything with only an automatic that is not a DCT is IMO not worth owning. Even my dually is a manual.

For example, the paddle-shifting auto in the C7 overheats pronto on track, as I figured it would.

And staying power is part of the passion. Chevy has the Corvette and to a lesser extent, Camaro, Porsche the 911, Ford the Mustang, Ferrari the mid-engine cars, Dodge the Viper.

Honda abandoned the NSX, Toyota the Supra, Mitsubishi the 3000GT. The first 2 are practically legendary, and IMO any business that truly prized performance driving passion would still be making them, even if they did not sell in volume or profitability of the SUV line.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    FYI they stopped making the S2K in 2009.

The rumor is the next Evo will by hybrid only.

7. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    They're great cars...for someone else.

They just seem to lack passion :p

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Exactly.

9. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I disagree. I took my Ferrari out Saturady morning and the S2000 out for a 3 hour drive in the mountains on Sunday, guess which one was more fun, hint it did not have a horsey on it. I don't get the badge snobbery, a great car is a great car regardless of county of origin.

10. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I don't think it's brand snobbery (kverges didn't dismiss the NSX etc.!), just preferences I guess.

11. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Didn't those fellows at Honda make.. Uh... racecar engines ?

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Yes, but was only Formula 1 and they only won the championship every year between 1987-1991 in both turbo and normally aspirated form, obviously they lacked passion, correct? And that is why Ferrari hired Osamu Goto after Honda left...

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love Japanese cars. The GTR and Z cars of Nissan the most, but I have always respected the NSX, S2000, Supra, RX7, etc. I love the variety of cars they make. I had a lot of respect for Nissan back in 2007 when they introduced the GTR at the start of the recession and have continued with it through while other makers are scared to invest large sums into an expensive sports car...at least til Acura decided to do the NSX again.

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Let's not also forget:

Toyota 2000GT
    Supra (197x-1998)
    Rx7 (198x-1995)
    300zx (198x-1996)
    3000GT (1991-2002)

And last but not least sport bikes

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They made EVERYONE up their game on the production car side! Soichiro Honda was a genius- how many manufacturers can claim their power plants have dominated 2 and 4 wheel racing at the highest levels?

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't know how you can give them more credit. They are the #3 producer of automobiles in the world and if you add in the US production of Japanese makes they may well be #2 and have several times been #1. Seems to me the auto consumers of the world have been giving them a great deal of credit especially when you consider the vast majority of their products are sold in other large auto producing countries. That is a popularity poll no one can argue with.

If you feel they don't get enough respect from auto enthusiasts maybe a site centered on Ferrari is just not the best place to form that judgment.

17. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    The Japanese manufacturers had a gentlemen's agreeement back then, that they would make 'responsible cars' and power was limited to 300hp. Back when they were making the NSX, 300ZX TT, Supra TT, Skyline, 300GTVR4, RX7 etc.

But kids still drove fast, mod their cars fast and furious style.

So the Japanese manufacturers decided to make 'responsible cars' and discontinued almost all of the sports cars. (Not a great idea if you ask me.)

Thank goodness that's about to change. Hybrid 600hp+ GTR and NSX are on the horizon. Possible Supra too. (Let the kids kill themselves lol just kidding.)

18. If my Elise and Exige had british engines in them I probably wouldn't have owned either. The Japanese reliability of the engine is a huge plus for the car for someone who wants to enjoy Ferrari and Lambo levels of performance without Ferrari and Lambo maintenance bills.

19. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I agree with this (I have an Exige). I've owned 3 Japanese cars--a Datsun 2000 roadster (great car for that time and that type of car), a Ford Probe GT (priced right at the time), and a last gen Acura MDX (the best driving best capacity SUV vehicle at that price point). During that time, I've owned approximately 20 other vehicles. None of my current cars are Japanese. When I bought my daily driver GTI 3.5 years ago, I test drove a WRX, a WRX STi, and an Evo. No go. My wife bought an X3, and we drove all of the expected competing Japanese SUV's. No go. I respect Japanese engineering, and don't care about badge snobbery, but (voting with my dollars) I just don't value the way they drive.

20. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    In earlier times, many of the best-optioned Japanese cars were not sold outside of Japan. For example, it was not uncommon for them to send us the models with crap engines, and save the best engines for themselves. The Series 1 Nissan GTR and Z432 had the s20, we got the L24. Toyota gave home market Celica customers the DOHC 18-RG, and we got the pedestrian 18-RC, which made half the horsepower. The list goes on . . .

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #21 rdefabri, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm a big "Japanophile" - not just cars but other culturally significant things (film, art, etc).

You left out the 2 of the more influential Japanese cars of all time - the 240Z and the 510. Without those, Japan's auto industry may never have taken off in the US. I still remember my family's first Toyota (1979 Toyota Corolla SR5, purchased new) and how many neighbors or friends asked my father how he could buy such "junk".

I leave you with this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No love for the MR2?

23. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I agree and who said they don't get any love? The majority of americans and certainly californians seem to drive them. The prius is practically the official car of california from what I see on the roads and the camry is #1 in the usa.

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru62wwIbvEg[/ame]

25. Rich Kulak

Rich Kulak Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 7, 2015
    They suck. They've ruined cars. They should all do seppuku.