Lexus LFA prices | FerrariChat

Lexus LFA prices

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DriveAfterDark, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    So out of boredom I checked mobile.de (Europe's large online secondhand cars website) for Lexus LFA prices and to my surprise many of them are listed at 800.000 Euro. One is listed for 400.000 Euro, which is the price that those things cost new (and the normal asking price last time I checked a few months ago).

Do you think it will be a 1M Euro car? I really like it and expected some drop, not appreciation/fantasy prices.

2. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    At the end of the day, no "NEW" Japanese car is worth that kind of money. Great car...YES.

An old F1 Honda OK. It will drop like a rock......

3. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #3 Stefan_009, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lexus LFA is very much the pinnacle of a V10 supercar. Quality is bar none and more than half of the car is all carbon. Building a factory specifically to produce the LFA speaks volumes in my opinion. People see a Lexus badge and instantly think it is a joke but Lexus/Toyota in a lot of ways really are #1 when it comes to manufacturing.

It still remains the best sounding car I have ever heard. I've seen 4 now, each equally stunning and special. Here is a glorious view from the inside of a Nurburgring Edition I got to sit in recently. That being said, I would only expect prices to go up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Why do you dismiss it because it's Japanese?

5. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    There was one sitting in my local Lexus showroom for over a year before it sold. I've been told it sold for just under 400,000.

Silly attitude.

6. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't think the car is attractive. At all. (The CGT sounds better) The LFA didn't have performance above and beyond lots of other cars, especially at the list price. It was interesting as an engineering and manufacturing exercise for Toyota/Lexus but as a car it doesn't speak to me. There were things that were done on the car that are really cool and pushed the carbon fiber manufacturing envelope. Putting the radiators in the back of the car was a silly exercise that doesn't make sense when you pencil it all out. For the amount of effort they put into the car, it should have been a game changer. The reality is that it was a decent car at way too high a price.

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #7 texasmr2, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    I love the LFA and I know where there is a 2012 model, 270 mile, one owner sub-$400K/US example.

8. Stefan_009

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I would have to disagree after hearing both.

9. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #9 Jaguar 15, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Not dismissing the car....I even admit is it a great car with capital letters..."YES".

Just the price tag....way too high for a Japanese car. Even Kona states one hadn't sold for over a year. A Rolex is not the best watch out there, you don't buy it to tell time...that is a cell phone is for. But they sure sell the heck out of them. Perception is reality.

Would you buy a $400,000 Hyundai or Kia? Kia and Hyundai make great cars also.

I just don't think it will sell well at that price point vs McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo and others. Not counting others like a Rolls Wraith, or Bentley.

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Me thinks you are our stereotyping.

One can say with confidence that the LFA IS one of the best built cars ever and my $20 Timex keeps just as accurate time, if not better, than a Rolex.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    A lot of folks would disagree with that.
    Those who had the privilege of driving LFA and CGT back to back in particular.

12. Stefan_009

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan

CGT certainly sacrifices drivability on real roads vs the Lexus but I think you are right. What I should say is the LFA is the pinnacle of a V10 GT or front engine car.

13. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I like the sound of both the CGT and LFA over my V-10...I dont think that the LFA is better then the Huracán, ive seen some LFA's in the low 300's.USD..I did look at buying one a while ago...nice car

14. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The LFA just checks all the right boxes really. Its something special, and with the political climate in Japan, may end up being quite unique. The sound is a @_@.

15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting car. Pinnacle? perhaps in some aspects-not ultimate performance though.

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

This car HAS to be seen to be appreciated. Saw a red one 3 years ago and it was absolutely stunning. Beautiful car. Luckily Got to hear it fire up and drive away and it sounds very similar to a carrera GT which is the best supercar sound IMO. I could see them depreciating a bit, but the production is very low. Wouldn't expect it to go below 200k.

17. parthiban

parthiban Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    #17 parthiban, Jun 11, 2014
    I have no personal experience but a lot of car people have nothing but good things to say about the LFA, it's a shame it's never been able to drop the Lexus stigma.

Even Jeremy Clarkson described it as the best car he has ever driven - ok perhaps not the ultimate endorsement but it's a strong statement from someone who spends his life comparing cars.

Pics from a few years ago, still a stunning car in my opinion :)

18. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #18 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Every once in a while I'll see one in the Manhattan Motorcars showroom. The craftsmanship is exquisite, the styling and feel of the interior incredible.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTWt9C77WE]Lexus LFA v Ferrari 599 GTO in the Scottish Highlands- evo exclusive - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9X2GbjUHc]Ferrari GTO v Lexus LFA. Launch control and top speed runs... - YouTube[/ame]

The great article on this comparo doesn't seem to be available at evo.co.uk These guys were blown away by both cars, but the LFA stunned them. I'm sure others lucky enough to drive these two back to back would reach different conclusions, but that the LFA prevailed with these two respected car nuts is telling.

19. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You have to take a lot of the ads on modile.de with a pinch of salt sometimes. Lots of "big" cars listed on mobile.de are just brokers fishing, the cars don't actually exist.

20. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    #20 eam3, Jun 11, 2014
    I've seen 2 of them at different Lexus dealerships in south FL and I believe they were both asking well under $400K. Stunning car and yes, the engine note is fantastic. I couldn't care less what badge it wears. This one was in Pembroke Pines back in February.

21. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    You are right!

22. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Guys, I am just talkling price, that is all. Not performance, fit and finish etc. Just the price which I hate to say, is in fact stereotyping. It will some time before a NEW Japanese car is accepted into the $400,000 club. Nobody can argue against Lexus quality, just price.

Personally, I'd take 2 Jag XKR-S GT's over the Toyota, whoops sorry, the Lexus.

23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The LFA gets a bad rap because of its badge, nation/culture of origin, etc., and it seems fair to say that its current value reflects this nonsense.

I also think it's fair to say that the market eventually sets aside bias and narrow mindedness, assessing cars based on important parameters like performance, fit and finish, how the styling holds up over time, etc. That's why I posted the POV and videos I put up. These things are relevant in cars that are clearly under appreciated and, therefore, probably undervalued.

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Great car on it's own and IMO, decent value at low $300k it seems to be readily available in US now.

25. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The Ferrari 250GTO, obsolete slow race car, no longer competitive, who wanted one back then? They sold for about what you could buy a new passenger car for...