New Mk7 VW GTI | FerrariChat

New Mk7 VW GTI

Discussion in 'Other German' started by scoobysteve, Jun 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Has anyone driven one yet? My buddy is strongly considering one, but will probably wait for the performance pack (September availability, mechanical LSD, bigger brakes, slightly more power).

I think they look very handsome and the reviews have been good. There aren't a lot cars under $30k that are desirable AND practical as adult vehicles.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had the first one when it came out in the 80's and I am actually considering getting rid of the Abarth for the two door version. I do not like the look of a 4 door GTI somehow it just feels wrong to me.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a MkVI and by most reports the MkVII is very similar, but slightly better.

What I can tell you about the MkVI is that it is a great daily and an all-around good car. It's not the adrenaline pump that a Ferrari is. But it'll return over 30mpg on the highway and 25 around town. It'll fit a 60" flatscreen TV in the back, and can carry 4 in a pinch. It's a small car that doesn't feel small on the inside or on the highway. The engine is rev-happy enough and the turbo will give you just enough shove in the back to make you smile when the road opens up. The GTI is fun enough to make you turn hooligan on occasion. Build quality is very good - no squeaks, creaks or rattles: the car feels very solid.

What don't folks like? People have said that it's a boy racer car. I've had a few folks turn up their noses at the lack of leather in mine (I didn't think very much of VW leather and I'm a fan of plaid seats anyway, so I don't miss it). Mine doesn't have lots of whizbang features, either (read:no SatNav or many of VW's option package) but that was a personal choice.

I can honestly say that for $25k I couldn't find anything as well built, fun, or interesting. And after driving the GTI, I couldn't quite justify the extra $10-15k for a BMW or Mercedes.

Of course, much of what one feels about the VW comes down to personal taste, so YMMV

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree.

2 door is supposed to be available later, I read somewhere.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I drove one a month or so ago, really nice to drive and very refined but 220hp doesn't feel like it used to.

6. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I had a Mark VI and now that it is gone I miss it. It is not the same experience as my old Porsche, but it is definitely not the buzz box my Mitsubishi Evo was. As stated above, sporty enough but also very practical.

The dealer down the street just got the Mark VII's, and I am tempted to go take a look, especially now that leather is not a $5K option.

The tuner market for this car is pretty stout, with lots of options out there for adding power, handling and brakes.

7. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    My buddy has a 2005 Subaru STI as a toy / track day car and a 2008 Mazda 3 wagon as a DD. He's looking to replace the Mazda with something a little nicer, a little newer, and a little faster.

I think they've really changed the trim levels for the better, too. He wants the SE (mid) trim. Which gets you leather, backup cam, keyless crap, better sound system, panoramic roof, etc. Basically everything from the Autobahn but navigation, full power seats, and climate control. I think he'll add the performance pack ($1500) and adjustable shocks ($800), but nobody knows when those options will be available.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm anxious to see the Golf R. It is supposed to be 300 hp and AWD!
    I think it's a strong contender for my next DD.

9. derek a

derek a Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    CA OR
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I recently bought a MKVI GTI to use as a daily driver. It's a great handling fun car. The motor revs freely and smoothly. The DSG trans is awesome! shifts fast and seemless. I like the way it rev matches on down shifts.
    The car is very well built. Solid and no rattles. On tight turns seems to react faster than the 911 I used to daily drive.
    Love the car but might be selling it for a Golf TDI

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    AWE is in my area and does great things with these cars. I do like the Abarth but my girlfriend hates it and after almost 5 month it has maybe 900 miles so I think I will pick up the two door version with the performance pack.

11. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    As an update, went and looked at these with my buddy a couple of weeks ago. A couple of notes:

- Dealers don't want to let anybody drive them without putting down a deposit (no, I'm not kidding -- only at the 5th dealer did we find one that had a car designated for test drives)
    - Markups over MSRP ranged from $0 to $3000
    - Nobody knows when the Performance Pack / Electronic Dampers will be showing up

It's a really nice car. I can't quite articulate how much it exudes quality for a small car. There are several areas you can see cost savings in the interior (the plastic for the rear door panels is not soft touch, for example). But overall it feels very "premium" and the doors sound great when you shut them. Driving, the engine has torque everywhere with almost no lag. I think pretty much all the reviews are right on. It's very refined, but still playful and fun. The best way to put it is that it feels like a Focus ST that went to college.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my local dealer (in small town central FL!) has a "market adjustment" on the GTIs they have...around $1500 IIRC.

I had a MkV which was a great car but not very reliable or durable, but the new ones are much better by all reports. I miss my GTI.

13. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Not sure if it has been said yet or not but I believe that North American Mk7 is built in Mexico whereas the Mk6 was built in Germany. I have a Mk6 and I absolutely love it. That being said the new Mk7 appears to be better in almost every way. I will test drive one when the performance pack is available.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I was told that the 2 door versions will start to arrive next month though the performance pack is not going to be coming until the end of the year. I will likely go with the SE with all the packages. You cannot get the top of the line version in two door which makes no sense to me.

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Not to derail, but I drove a 2013 2.5SE Jetta (I5 engine) for almost 200 miles yesterday, city and highway. The sounds that engine makes have no business being in a car like this . . .

The engine had a surprising amount of torque above 3K, the auto transmission shifted well, the suspension had a nice performance bias, steering was a drop numb but direct. No squeaks, some suspension noise over bad surfaces. All things considered, the car was a blast. (I hate how the gas pedal on modern cars feels like it's little more than a foot operated joystick, but that's all of them these days.)

Q: Does anyone know if this is the NA version of the Audi 2.5T, the one they put in the TT RS?

16. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    the 2.5 in the Jetta is the old VW 2.0 with an extra cylinder.

2.5 TFSI has the exact same displacement, but is a completely different block, one made of VGI, the only gasoline engine to use that material(it's usually used for diesel engine blocks).

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Thanks!

I thought it was an interesting alternative to the GTI -- especially if we never get the 3dr in the USA.

18. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Has anyone else heard about the recent 'recall' on MK7 GTI's, I suggest calling your dealer asap.

19. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have a MK6 GTI. It was supposed to be around for two years, and I have had it for almost four. It is just so damn good and fun for minimal dollars. Unless something comes up bad about the MK7, I intend to replace mine with an "R" as soon as they are available. Perfect crappy climate daily driver.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I hope they bring the Golf GTD to the USA.

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This times a thousand.

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That would be too intelligent. A brilliant car,but we will be saddled with the golf sport wagon. A nice car but not a gtd.

23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4s37VIAlE&list=UUFwzOXPZKE6aH3fAU0d2Cyg]VW Golf GTI Mk7 | evo REVIEW - YouTube[/ame]

VW Golf GTI Mk7 | evo REVIEW

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXmd3QF-zYU[/ame]

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    thanks for posting. GTI may be my next dd, but what concerns me are the horror stories about long-term VW reliability....not sure the R is worth the premium over the GTI....