Mini Cooper S convertibles: anyone driven them? | FerrariChat

Mini Cooper S convertibles: anyone driven them?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DriveAfterDark, Jun 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Interested in hearing about how they compare with the coupes in terms of handling. I just noticed one on the road and thought they looked much funkier (cooler?) than the coupes (which I don't really like..).

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Irove a turbo model about a decade or so. My freind bought the car and it was new at the time.

It was along time ago but I remembered it had quick handling which made it flick-able.
    The power came on but it was not linear. I did not buy the car because of the power but I am spoiled :).

Not a bad car. They have a following. I think the VW R or GTI version may be a good alternative

Good luck whatever you chose

3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thank you for your feedback Lee! I know that you are spoiled power-wise :) I appreciate great handling FWD cars and am looking to buy one again (I sold my Honda CRX, which was a blast at street legal speeds).

The biggest attraction (to me) about them is that they are a different challenge to drive fast vs. the RWD cars. They also have adequate power (to me) to have fun with but not so much power that you risk your driving license under spirited driving and I love that.

Golf GTi/R is not quite what I'm after, I like the tiny size of the Mini.

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree on all your points. I did not push the Mini I drove but I do not remember any wheel hop which is a good thing. The Mini has a larger following and is better known and respected by car people.

Best

Lee

5. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I know someone who is returning his second BRAND NEW one under the lemon law. I do like them though, not sure I'd want one

6. thoz

thoz Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My wife has a 2012 S convertible. Compared to the coupe there is a lot of body flex. She doesn't drive hard enough to notice. The coupe is a better drive.

7. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    They have a lot of body roll compared to the coupe and don't seem to handle with them same "go-cart" quality as the coupes. I'm just going to say from a technicians standpoint, Mini's are probably the least reliable of the European cars. We always have at least 2 Mini's at our shop awaiting a "major" service issue. If it's going to be a weekend driver, sub-5K miles per year thing, enjoy. I would not recommend it as a daily driver. Just my opinion though. Good luck !