Autohacking -- Forbes piece | FerrariChat

Autohacking -- Forbes piece

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Jun 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Hackers Reveal Nasty New Car Attacks--With Me Behind The Wheel - Forbes

We need a real Privacy Act. Problem is, such legislation would have to acknowledge individual sanctity by acknowledging that your personal info is your property, to be held or shared at your discretion.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A privacy act isn't going to stop someone hacking your car.

Thankfully, the chance of this happening to anyone is extremely small, unless someone is really trying to hurt/kill you. And if they do, they'll find another way if they can't hack your car.

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #3 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    True. But they can stop requiring this tech to be on cars until we know it's safe.

EDIT: I also don't like the idea of all this info being used for marketing, being sold, being used by government, etc., without and explicit agreement with the consumer.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fair enough.

I'm especially worried when the day comes that all cars are fitted with a black box and the governments know when we are speeding and automatically send us a nasty invoice and disable our license.

By then I hope hackers can hack it in such a way I'll never speed (on paper/computer, lol).

5. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    A recent project by Chris Roberts of OWL was pretty entertaining...& not just because of the cursing with an accent. You can find some pdf data but it leaves out a bit too much data.

Just google & I'm sure you can find something that will entertain you

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    In theory, could someone gain access to all, let's say prius' for the sake of argument, at once?

Imagine if they were able to have all driving cars of a particular model slam in their brakes at once.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    [tinfoil hat]I wonder if the author or hackers own stock in any automakers other than Toyota or Ford, such as Tesla. A piece like this on Musk's fledgling company could sink it.[/tinfoil hat]

8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Saw this coming years ago. That's why I have a nice old car with no electronic nannies to drive once in a while. There is wayyyy to much technology and I'm a young person.

9. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    #9 Schimpf, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Only ignorant believe law will be a solution. Companies will still use their Kaizen to cheap out & not use encryption, etc.
    Example:
    Scenario I'm waiting to read about, once the next-gen satellites are out to provide international coverage: wealthy business guy (in 1st class international flight) has session hijacked & stock/financial account(s) drained. Possibly converted into bitcoin (or other crypto currency).