Anyone owned BMW 745i turbo? | FerrariChat

Anyone owned BMW 745i turbo?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by gt4me, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #1 gt4me, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having owned just about every BMW I lusted after as a youth over the last 20 years ,the one car I've never owned is an E23 745. I've had 3 735's including a concours series 1 735 manual which was the nicest driving BMW I've had but still lust after a turbo.
    Has anyone here owned a 745, do they really feel much more powerful than a 735?
    There are none available in the uk as they were never imported in RHD but a few on the net in Germany, 90 minute flight and a days drive back to Scotland.

BMW 745 i Automatik *H-Kennzeichen* | eBay

BMW 745 i A | eBay

BMW 745 i A Executive VOLL! Büffelleder! Mwst! | eBay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Anyone? :)

3. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    what did you want to know ? only auto, Triple K big bus turbo.

The one to get is the last 2 years. the turbo was updated but keep in mind this was a very turbo lagged car, stomp on the gas and the back end will step out worse then a 308 or a 911 turbo.
    early ones no ABS, this has a hydraulic rear suspension. so lots of things to watch out for.

Many of the ones I have seen, 5 speed conversion Front mount inter cooler and Buffalo Leather interior.

Keep in mind find a last year one and or find one that has got a 5speed conversion and yes stage one upgrade on this car and your about 350~375hp compaired to the 220hp 3.5 motor.

4. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    I have one. White with light blue velour interior and the sunroof. I have never seen another light blue velour interior on any BMW. I used to drive it almost everyday. Never had any issues with the car. The car was a real rocket at highway speeds. That is where this car really comes to life. It would pass just about anything at highways speeds. Off the line power was ok at best until Boost strikes. I parked it in 1994 and have not started it since. Maybe someday I will get around to it. It's really blocked in at this point.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Brilliant, thanks for that. It sounds great, I think I can see myself booking a flight to Germany in the next few weeks :)
    Any photos of yours?

6. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    Photos? Sure, I will take a few so you can see what the car looks like today. I'll have to dig my way to it and open up a path so it may take a few days, plus I'm sure the bees are nesting in it. Keep in mind, it's been sitting for over 20 years so do not expect a show car. Where it's parked, I can not even see the car anymore....

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Hehe sounds like you've got plenty space :)

8. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    #9 Turbo360, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Just make sure you if you do get one ditch the SLS Hydro rear suspension and go with a coil over setup, being you're in the UK Idk if MOT will allow that set up. A Front mount intercooler. Stage 2 turbo set up you will be about 450+hp. The tricky part will be, finding a clutch type limited slip diff and going with a 3.70 rear diff. this will give you the off the line pull you want and the clutch type limited slip will help as well. Right now those have like some thing like a 2.90 rear diff in those are for autoban speed. Most important ditch the auto transmission find a 6sp unit for that engine. You will have a very nice and fun 745i to drive.

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Thanks turbo, the more I hear, the more I want one :)

10. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    #11 Richelieu Ferrari, Jul 21, 2014
    I spent most of the day clearing a trail to the car so you can see it. This was as close as I wanted to get due to the bees. It's been right here for over 20 years at least. I would bet that with a good battery and some fresh gas, the car would start right up. I'm sure I have some photos around somewhere from when the car was new. Whenever I come across some, I will post them here. Enjoy.

11. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    Oh, you may be able to see that it has US bumpers which had to be installed for the states but it is a true 745I Turbo Euro car.

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #13 gt4me, Jul 21, 2014
    Oh that's fantastic ,thanks so much for taking the pictures.
    One of my 735's was also Alpine white, a great colour for them :) I hope in some way I'm responsible for getting you a bit closer to getting it back into use, your right about the fresh fuel and battery ,BMW's of this era were made from strong stuff.
    I bought a lovely chestnut E23 (pic) 2 or 3 years ago from the daughter of the original owner which had sat for around 10 years. A new radiator and fresh fuel and it ran like a dream.

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #14 gt4me, Jul 21, 2014
  14. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    All this talk about the big BMW Turbos, I have not seen another one for a long time and now, there is a black 85 745I Turbo on Craigslist under North New Jersey for sale at $5500. It was posted today. This it the first time I saw one up for sale on that site.