Does anyone here read jalopnik? | FerrariChat

Does anyone here read jalopnik?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 360Tom, Aug 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I used to be a fan of Jalopnik. However, as of lately, they've taken a very anti car approach. Not sure if it's all the liberal spillover from Gawker. But the most recent post I read was how they can ruin the Nurburgring. Cause apparently they are sick and tired of hearing about lap records, fwd record and economy records. How could you hate on the Nurburgring if your a car fan?

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I quit reading Jalopnik when on the day of the Japanese tsunami when they went to non-stop tsunami coverage, mirroring the mainstream news sites. As I recall, I think they were mostly just linking to mainstream news. When I commented on their facebook that they could just stick to auto news, go quiet, or (most interesting option) investigate and report on how the disaster was impacting the car industry, they responded that since many of their readers would be worried about what was happening, they would cover it (and banned me from their page), I decided that I didn't need them for general news coverage and left and haven't seen much reason to go back.
    /rant

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I find the comments usually more than the stories. Very interesting cast of characters to put it mildly.

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Curoius, I went and read the article you refer to here: The Best Way To Ruin The Nurburgring

I wasn't offended by their tongue-in-cheek article, but found the site to be the same as ever. No article titles I couldn't resist, just some I had zero interest in, and some others that I just didn't wasn't confident would be worth the time to read. They're going for a certain crowd, and I'm clearly not it. I'm an Autoblog guy.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    why read Jalopnik, you can read it on FerrariChat 1-2 days before there. :D

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I read it. Nice mixture of entertainment, feature pieces and journalistic pieces that have been improving steadily. And I like the comments, for the most part.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For car stuff, they write one or two paragraphs (or so it seems, and with a weird page design) and then rely on the "comments" for content. WUWT?

8. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like Autoblog too. I just like to browse other car sites too. But yes, Ferrarichat seems to have the info first :)

9. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    It's full of haters and trolls, including the editors.

10. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    The National Enquirer of automobile journalism. Lots of sensationalism, snark and plain bad taste.

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I read a great article on going to jail for speeding in Virginia. I know to avoid that place, and I would never recommend any car enthusiast to live there.

:)
    BT

12. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I lived in Virginia for a very short time. I do remember seeing troopers everywhere. Beautiful roads through some pretty country though.

I have to agree with Ney.
    They have become the Nation Enquirer of journalism. It's quite amazing to read the idiocracy of the comments sections. Perversely entertaining, i guess.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    According to the article it is a charge of reckless driving automatically for speeding anywhere when the speeder is observed at 80 or above. That includes interstates where the limit is 70. So you get a criminal charge equal to sexual assault (both the highest ranking class 1 misdemeanors) for the offense of going 10 mph over the limit. It is 1 step below a felony for doing 80 on the interstate in Virginia. I think that is perverse.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I like it a lot. It's not the greatest from a journalism stand point but it's fun and irreverent.

16. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Jalopnik is the TMZ of cars.

Oh, I should mention that I love TMZ. :)

17. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I agree. It is occasionally entertaining but is not a good source of news, nor an example of good journalism. Some of the post authors call themselves journalists, but they are not. As long as this style of "journalism" doesn't affect more mature media, I think it is mostly harmless fun.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nope. Only car thing I'll watch online is basically Jay Leno's Garage. Pretty well done reviews and I like Jay a lot. Outside of that, I get my car info on Fchat. :) I like the users here and their opinions on cars that I know I'll never own.

19. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    It has become too Gawker like. Kinja and the commenting system is too clunky. I have had a hard time visiting the site after they started linking articles from Jezebel and the other Gawker sites. The clickbait titles are annoying and the feeling I get is they're trying to appeal to the TMZ type of readers.

Doug DeMuro is the writer I like best, he would be wise to distance himself from Jalopnik and could truly get a professional gig writing for a magazine or on video with somewhere like the DRIVE channel on Youtube.

20. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I read jalopnik, unfortunately. It's very easy to spend 2-3 minutes there at a time.

It's basically a car garbage site, with occasional good posts from DeMuro. But yeah it's run by a bunch of bleeding heart extra pretentious hipsters, and the content suffers because of it.

21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    DeMuro is hilarious

22. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Never will. They did a blog on a $500 BMW WRC car that was lies and truth strectched beyond even National Enquirer.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I remember that and as someone NOT in that sport (including having very minimal knowledge) - I called BS on it.

24. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I do now and then but prefer the truth about cars

25. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I browse jalopnik once in a while. Mr Glickenhaus linked to a great article on there the other day about BPR/GT1 racing from the 90s that I found very informative since I grew up on those cars but was too young to remember all of it. Because there was a good article I'll probably look at the site daily for a week or 2 until I realize there isn't anything else Im interested in and then lose interest until the next time someone links to them. if their quality was more consistent they'd have my interest.