Bring a trailer | FerrariChat

Bring a trailer

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by MufflerMan, Aug 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Is anyone else a B.A.T. junkie? I am, I love seeing the interesting cars from everywhere that are nicely compiled in one cool site. I don't however like their new format. I feel it's gotten too commercialized with the auctions and such. Anyone else miss the old format?

2. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

I for one also miss the old format. I used to visit at least once a day, now its about once a week. I kind of feel that they lost touch with their target audience.

Regards,

Ramin

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Couldn't agree more but I don't believe it was avoidable. They'll have live streaming from the Japanese auction houses next....sigh.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    They lost their way about 2-3 years ago. Now it is mostly a bunch of high dollar collector cars instead of cool cars that you would 'bring a trailer' to haul back and work on. Try out barnfinds.com . Not as much material but more like BAT days of old.

:)
    BT

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I check BaT and Barnfinds regularly. I am a fan of the new BaT format, but I also am of the opinion that the type and variety of cars being shown there has sort of become too much of the same. I still check whenever I can because the comments section is one of the greatest in all the web, at least for car related sites.

6. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

I agree and I think the amount of information I garnered from the comments section was fantastic, and at times eye opening.

But I wonder with the new format if the guys giving the comments will be from the same hard core, grease under the fingernails car guys or a new generation of flippers and other guys looking to turn a quick buck from the site.

Regards,

Ramin

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I hate the new format.

One thing I have never liked about "Bring A Trailer". They list a car that is very interesting (at least to me) and once it goes onto page 2, it's GONE. No more comments. A recent example was the Lancia Flaminia Convertible. It was entered on July 31, got 20 comments until it went onto page 2 the next day, then NOTHING. I would like it better if they had kind of an illustrated "index" on page one, where you could link onto the most recent 25 cars, or something like that.

8. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I like the previous format better.

9. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I wasn't aware of barnfinds, thanks for that. It reminds me a lot of the old B.A.T., but seems mostly domestic.

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think they will, because the fact that you have to register to comment now helps keep the flippers away.

It also helps to keep some of the sellers of the cars away, who occasionally showed up to comment...

11. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Interesting point. However, about the sellers, it was a double edged sword. Sometimes it was helpful when they cleared up questions/misunderstandings etc. about the car in question.

Regards,

Ramin

12. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    At some point we all knew they'd have to monetize the site, no?

13. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    They'd been monetizing it via eBay links/placement and exclusive listings for several years. Based on today's post it sounds like the latest auctions didn't go well and they are retooling. The comments made that site - because you'd get owners who'd chime in on rare oddities, much more interesting than the catalog speak writeups

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yes, with my comment - which I should have worded better - I meant to say it was a negative thing regarding the sellers. I agree with you.

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think they are leaving too little time in between the auctions, overestimating how many people are looking to buy the cars they are auctioning. It's very different to see one of their regular features which sort of make you think if you don't buy the car immediately someone else will... If they are auctioning the car, you know that if it doesn't hit reserve, or if there are no bidders, they still have access to it and you can take your time, relatively speaking, to put in a more well thought out offer.

16. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Visited Barnfinds today for the first time. It really does feel like the "BAT days of old". Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Ramin

17. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I like BaT. And thanks for turning us on to Barnfind.

I bought a project from BaT a couple of years back. It is the 1952 Tojiero special that was offered for $85K. It is the first time Toj made a frame that became the frame for the AC Ace, which became a Cobra frame. It has no stamp on the frame itself, but Tojeiro registered it for the road, and had to have a chassis number for that registration. He called it and it was registered as 001. My intention is to put it back into competition state, without restoring it. It is just too original. The 1952 leather covered steering wheel etc. I will share it with the BaT community at the right time of course.

I liked BaT a little better a few years ago also, as some here have mentioned. ... Still, a good one though IMO.

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Not too sure about modded F40's for $1.25MM on BaT though……..seems a thin market ?

19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    B.A.T. Is killing me with their offerings lately, some real nice cars. Wow. That Bronco looks juicy...as do others.

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yea the old format was for the car lover the new format is just a 24/7 auction. I give them kudos' for finding a way to make it profitable but I do miss the old days. So as a result I don't spend as much time. Maybe they should rename it BABOM Bring a Bag of Money