Garage:Heated vs A/C vs dehumidified | FerrariChat

Garage:Heated vs A/C vs dehumidified

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Countachqv, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I wanted to know what people think is the best value for spending money on in a garage to store cars.

Many are boasting heated garage but i dont quite get why other than not freezing your but tinkering in winter.

I would think what matter for a car is :
    1. To be protected from air polution.
    2.To be protected from the sun U/V
    3.To be protected from moisture
    4.to be protected from roddens

So it appears to me that a well kept garage that does not let the sunshine hit the cars and has a dehumidifier should be enough for car storage. I cant see what A/C or heat would bring.

Am I missing something?

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    A good question.

I once had an old MB I kept in an unheated garage that was not airtight. I lived in Canada at that time and the cycle of freezing and thawing over the winter caused condensation to build up on the alloy parts which corroded.

I would think a garage should be airtight in a damp, cold climate and dehumidified.

I am not certain that a car, if properly winterized, would suffer if the ambient temperature was below freezing so long as it was out of the sun and reasonably dry.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    good point. Garage must be remain above freezing temps.Thus attached garage are better

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have all of my cars in a 20X40 garge without AC or heat. As you can tell from my profile I have several cars. I have been storing like this for about 11 tears.

I live in central Florida so it is hot and humid most of the time. I am not sure if that is the right answer for all climates, or any climate. All of my cars are driven no garage queens :)

Not that I know anything, I am just to cheap to put in AC

Best

Lee

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd say that "dry air" matters way more than "warm air". The less moisture in the air, the better. An AC is of course a dehumidifier, so an installation like that can kill 2 birds with one large energy bill.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think A/C is that important, but in a really nice garage, it is a must. I would at least have a dehumidifier. I would also like to have heat in order to minimize temperature fluctuations.

7. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #7 JOEA2, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I keep my Garage at 60 in the Winter and 76 in the Summer in New Jersey. My Utility Bills are reasonable and the Cars are PERFECT! Of course, the Garage is well insulated with insulated doors.

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The big problem with air-conditioned garages is the condensation on unprotected/unpainted parts when you leave the garage when outside humidity levels are elevated. If you are in a dry climate it is fine, if you are in a high humidity climate, not so good.

9. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    Humidity control is the most important consideration, especially for vintage cars lacking advanced corrosion resistance. I keep my garages at 55% RH 24/7 all year--not too dry to promote premature rubber/vinyl degradation. During summer dry heat is much more comfotable for wrenching than humid air. AC could achieve same result since they also dehumidify to a degree. Sub 40 temps not a big concern since colder air is relatively dryer. As mentioned, it's the temp cycling that causes issues, but a dehumidifier keeps all in check.

10. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    You might want to look into a mini-split system just for the garage.

11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

you also can use something like Carcoon or Permabag..that surrounds your car completely with a de humidify system instead of conditioning your whole garage/storeage area...

12. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    With proper seal & circulation that shouldn't happen.

One problem that does occur though in the fall & spring is high humidity in general... if the temp is set too high the a/c simply never comes on, especially with good insulation, and the humidity will creep up to match outside air.

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That's your garage, impressive!

14. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #14 JOEA2, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's nine Cars and a 2500 sq. ft. Apartment above since it's in a Residential Area. After Sandy, friends lived there for a year while rebuilding.

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login