2016 Mazda Miata | FerrariChat

2016 Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #1 Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anybody else excited to see what it's all about?

Big reveal is tonight in Monterey.
    Rumored to weigh ~2200lbs.
    The renders below were "leaked" by an alleged Mazda employee, pretty damned hot IMO and if accurate they won't have to change much of the rear end to look great on the Alfa version.
    One day I'll own a Miata... the current gen is great but hoping the next one will be epic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I like it!

When do we see the novitec 22" rims?? 8^)

SV

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I love it. I hope this is it.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm excited to see what is revealed! I have two Miatas, my 1996 first generation car I've owned from new, but it's extensively modified with Ohlins suspension, supercharger, etc. etc. A few years back, I bought a 95 Miata for my wife and daughter to drive. I've also had a 2000 2nd generation car. I never warmed up to the third generation Miata (2006 - 2015), so am very interested to see this fourth generation Miata.

There is a 25th Anniversary celebration happening at Laguna Seca this weekend, I was supposed to road trip down there for hot laps etc. but couldn't get the time away from work. It's a big Mazda sponsored deal, they are expecting over 1700 Miatas to gather for a new world record Miata gathering.

Link to the Youtube Mazda unveiling, scheduled for today at 6:30 pm Pacific time: https://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google#/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    You mean the FIAT version. The Alfa spider will be made in Italy not Hiroshima when it does happen.

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I haven't been following recent developments, but the Alfa is still expected to share it's chassis with the Mazda, right? Different body, interior, engine (but hopefully not stupidly large wheels and wide tires like the 4C) right?
    Doesn't really matter where it's built IMO.

I wasn't aware Fiat was also in the mix. Cool.

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am really missing my '99 NB now, I need a hug.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Wish granted :)

Lee

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Alfa will be a different car now. FIAT will use the Miata chassis to make a FIAT brand spider instead.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks!

11. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    huh, assume Alfa will be re-using one of their hatchback chassis. Shame, they haven't made a really good (as is good to drive, not just to look at) spider in what 25 years?

Come on let's see pics of y'alls Miatas!

6:00 and counting till Gen IV.... I'm more excited for this than for any recent Ferrari release....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs]2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Live Reveal - YouTube[/ame]

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #12 texasmr2, Sep 3, 2014
  13. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #13 Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The rear looks heavy but the whole thing is pretty awesome. If its lighter and more powerful than before what is not to like.
    Lighter than a 4c, NA and a stick.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #15 texasmr2, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    It does look great and I cannot wait to test drive one. I contacted my local dealership to arrange a test drive.

Any day now, right??? (Daddy)

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Here is hoping the US version does not get bloated like the 4C. Get a Flyin Miata turbo and giddy up.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This has all the markings of a true drivers car. A+

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Kurt,
    I just sent the dealer a email hoping that they will remember it once the ND's are available.

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #20 Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014
    Specs and details trickling out:
    electric steering
    direct injection 2L motor (~150hp/150tq?)
    4" shorter overall than previous, 1.5" shorter wheelbase
    ~2200lbs (dry?)
    Hopefully won't put on 400lbs on it's trip over the ocean like the 4C

In the side view below the wheels/tires look a BIT undersized, but gotta give Mazda props for introducing the car on 16" wheels. 16 inchers! lol that's awesome.

Someone already photoshopped a gorgeous shooting brake version that will never be built*

*reverse jinx attempt

21. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #21 GordonC, Sep 3, 2014
    Well, that unveiling was painfully embarrassing. I hope whoever at Mazda was responsible for that is holding a pink slip already.

The car though, looks fabulous! (determined from separate sources) A BIG improvement over the NC third generation, and it looks like the dynamics will be improved as well - shorter length, only slightly shorter wheelbase, wider, lighter, a bit more power. Here's some info New Mazda MX-5 revealed | Autocar I suspect all the online and print auto journals will have these photos published, now that the embargo will be lifted.

Hmmm... I haven't posted pictures of it here before, but here goes - it's a 1996 NA first generation car, I bought it new, in British Racing Green with tan leather interior. It's now running Ohlins suspension, is supercharged, many mechanical and interior upgrades, and I rebodied it with the Simpson Designs Italia kit Jim Simpson Design Miata Italia Sports Cars 6 years ago. I took these last week when I had it all ready for a road trip to California for the Miata 25th Anniversary event at Laguna Seca this weekend. Instead, work issues had me cancel the road trip at the last minute, and I'm in the middle of doing the 30K service on my 308 instead.

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    lol I love it!
    Any pics of the re-body install?

Got to say, I'm already lusting after the new one.
    Mazda is going to sell a million of them.

And yes, the "unveiling" was pretty lame and amateurish.
    Better to have a lame unveiling of a great car then the other way around though!

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    It's different but i like it.

24. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Gordon I really like your car.

Also, that shooting brake concept pic is awesome. Sort of a M Coupe look. Is that for real?

25. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #25 DriveAfterDark, Sep 4, 2014
    Attached one was mine. My first sportscar. I felt an epiphany when I drove my MX-5 home. I fell instantly in love lightweight cars (better handling + the higher sense of speed that modern cars lack) and high revving engines. From that day on I didn't care about performance stat's, I only cared about the fun factor. I also discovered the fun of driving a slow car fast.

People complain about the performance of the MX-5 all the time. I agree to some extent (it's tragically slow when overtaking), but I had it up to 100 mph (50 zone) through Norwegian and Swedish forests multiple times and no one would complain about the lack of speed.
    Also, there's always the option of forced induction. The FI MX-5 owners are even more fanatical!

I miss the old car a lot. I'm pretty certain I'm going to trace the current owner sometime in the near future. I saw a local guy restore his to perfect condition and I know that with his help I could too. They're worth saving.

Behold, my ex '93 MX-5 1.6 "LE" (North American special edition, 300 made, black with red leather, factory installed Bilstein's)