Thieves steal Tailgates off of Pick-up Trucks? | FerrariChat

Thieves steal Tailgates off of Pick-up Trucks?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by toggie, Sep 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Number of pick-up truck tailgates being stolen keeps going up.

How much does a thief get for a stolen tailgate anyways?
    And who do you sell it to?

Pickup truck tailgate thefts up sharply in 2013 | Fox News

Pickup truck tailgate thefts up sharply in 2013.

Thieves have been having a real tailgate party these past few years.

According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB,) claims related to pickup tailgate thefts rose by 31 percent in 2013.

The total number of 1,090 is still relatively small compared to the millions of trucks on the road, but it has been trending upward for some time, and NICB says many owners don’t even report these types of thefts.

However, as more tailgates are equipped with features like built-in steps and backup cameras, the cost to replace them can be as high as $1,500 to $3,000, often making them too costly to replace without tapping insurance policies while simultaneously fueling the black market for parts.

Complicating the issue is the fact that tailgates are often designed to be easily removed for customization, but most new trucks today are fitted with at least a key-operated lock for the tailgate.

In 2013, Ram stepped that up by introducing an electronic tailgate lock integrated with the truck’s central locking system, but not the alarm. However, a Ram representative says the amount of work needed to disable and remove the lock requires too much time for most thieves.

The 2015 Ford F-150 will offer a similar feature as standard equipment on all but the lowest trim levels of its all-new pickup. This could turn out to be particularly important considering that the truck features aluminum bodywork, which is worth much more than steel as scrap metal.

Many aftermarket security products are also available, like the hinge locks the NICB recommends for truck owners in high risk areas. These include Houston, San Antonio and Dallas -- the top three cities for thefts in Texas, which saw a total of 752 reported thefts throughout 2012 and 2013, more than twice as many as California, the number two state with 334.

Don’t mess with Texas? Apparently tailgate thieves are having too much fun to care.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's nothing new. My friend had his stolen back around 2006 or so. We came out of the restaurant and saw it and then a gut drove by and said, "they got you too huh". That guy said he noticed a few stolen right around his truck so the thieves that day left with multiple in one hit.

The remedy is to lock it, but the criminals may have a way around that for all I know. Now these tailgates are worth a ton because they have cameras in them.

They're hitting the wheels/tires in my area, really between cypress and spring according to a news report a few weeks ago. Earlier this year two of my neighbors were hit at the end of the street. There's a ton of construction going on so it's easy to assume it's the workers and/or their "friends".

3. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    Another big item up here are catalytic converters. Decent money at scrap metal places.

They slide under trucks with a battery operated sawzall and cut them off. They will hit a downtown parking ramp and get a bunch.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In my neck of the woods, I mean swamps, they're probably doing the lifted truck guys a favor. "Just add a straight pipe for more horsepower..." ;)

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The tailgates run $3-600 usually used. More for the cameras and steps. Easy to take off if it isn't locked, no tools needed. And people are always looking for them so easy to sell.
    When I was at the dealer, we lost wheels, radios, tailgates, etc.
    One morning shortly after the Harley F150 came out, the two sitting in front of the show room were sitting on blocks one morning, the 20"s were gone. Lights and security cameras didn't help much, big lot next to some woods.