how often/miles do you guys change your oil these days? | FerrariChat

how often/miles do you guys change your oil these days?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ttforcefed, Sep 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    on daily drivers, suvs etc....ive been going annually using synthetic oil...usually between 10 and 15k miles a year but im thinking of going every 2 years instead. thoughts?

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    My car says 15k... but I'm closing in on 10k and I don't think I can wait any longer.

3. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    5K on my diesel truck, DD I just follow what the manufacturer says, and fun cars usually see a good amount of abuse so I change around 3k miles.. Cheap insurance

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    About 10-12k on my Accord, but it burns a quart every 1000 miles so over the course of an oil change interval the oil gets "changed" a couple of times ;)

10k on our ML350 Bluetec like clockwork. Doesn't burn a drop.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In the States people really change oil FAR to quickly. 3000 miles?! Come on guys...

Obviously on very old cars they burn a lot more but on a modern car it's completely unnecessary.

6. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    7500 miles on Synthetic. So I do 2 per year.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    6 Months or 6k miles ( Mobil 1 )
    on all of my European vehicles.

3 Months or 3k miles on Domestic's

S

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That is a great question and one I personally struggle with.

Let me tell you what I know, then say what I do on all off my cars. It may not be the best but it seems to work for me.

Synthetic oils do not wear out but they do get dirty.
    regular oil does wear out. years ago Pa oil was advertized as the best protection, which it was. Today with modern oil refining technology and the additives they use, it does not matter
    Always use the oil suggested by the manufacturer of your vehicle
    Do not use synthetic oil in a car designed for regular oil
    Most cars with synthetic oil recommend 13000 miles or once a year oil changes

I own many cars and I do not drive them often or many miles.

I change oil once a year
    I always stay with natural oil or synthetic as recommended
    You will have well meaning shops recommend synthetic oil on a older cars designed for natural oil. DO NOT DO IT!

Some off my cars only go 200 miles in a years period. I am not sure if that could be extended to 2 years but In have thought about it.

I keep a record on a spread sheet on oil changes, tire pressures, battery changes etc.

I am not sure if this is optimum but it has worked for me over two decades. I am curious as the OP is on what other people do especially with multiple cars

Best

Lee

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    on my cars that I don't drive I go anywhere from 12 to 18 months, sometimes 24....these are cars that literally don't get driven 200 miles per year. they all get synthetic etc. on my daily drivers im considering going to 2 yr intervals or 20,000 miles. at 12 months and 12k miles the synthetic oil is still really clean....I definitely think we as a country change oil too frequently.

I have a mechanic scientist friend who drives an amg e55 about 30k miles a year. for fun he bought an old pick up truck with a ton of miles. after 12 months he takes the synthetic oil from his AMG and puts it into his pick up truck. id have to say its almost a decade and the pickup truck gets driven about 15k miles a year - no issues with the oil breaking down.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the other point I forgot to mention is I find it amazing that an f1 car can go through an entire race without an oil change, but 15K miles of 40MPH of driving requires one!

11. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I remember on my Dad's old Mercedes SL he would change the oil after ~7-8k miles and comment how the used oil came out looking almost new.

12. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I tend to fall in the category of it's cheaper to change oil than do maintenance on the engine due to not changing it.

With that said, my used oil analysis said I could easily go 7500mi (mfg suggets 5k intervals) & suggested another analysis at that point to see how much past the 7500mi I could go.

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    As someone said - synthetic oils don't tend to break down. The oil won't have much dirt built up in just a few hours, so there's not much reason to change it during a race.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    right so why change it anywhere under 20,000 miles?

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Well said. The problem if you have a lot of cars and therefore you do not drive each one a lot you end up changing oil all of the time even if you only put 200 miles on the car. There is no damage risk in that case.

Synthetic oil based cars are recommending 11000 to 13000 miles between oil changes. I do oil changes once a year on all of the cars. I do this because oil picks up acids from the combustion process so it is wise to change the oil at some interval.

Best

Lee

Lee

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I currently have 2 vehicles I run dino oil in both of them on my daily driver I change it every 3,000 miles on my S2000 I like to put fresh oil in it when I take it out of storage in the spring and I also like to have relatively fresh oil in it before it goes into storage for the winter it usually comes down more to time than mileage when I change it on the S2000.

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    I'm a believer in oil changes every 3000 miles. I have a honda civic with 217,000 miles and it runs like a top.

18. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Changing it too soon def never hurts but Im a big skeptic on the every 3k oil change that is pushed by every jiffy lube or the like in the nation......

19. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just sold a 2002 4Runner with 246,000 miles on it that saw 8000-10000 mile OCI's with Mobil 1. It also ran like a top.

3,000 is much shorter than the safe useable life of the oil, unless you have a 2 mile commute to work and the oil never gets up to temp to evaporate the moisture in it. Try 4000 miles next time ;-) You'll still be able to sleep at night, I promise.

20. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's a good idea to change the oil right before it goes into storage. This way, if the oil has accumulated any moisture in it, you get it out before it sits long-term. I'm guessing this storage period is 4-6 months? Fire it up and drive it in the spring - no need to change it again. The oil won't "go bad" after sitting for this short amount of time.